Brake Grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,

Been having a bit of an issue with brakes. At 60,000 miles I got them squeaking pretty hard so I replaced them at a local shop and figured that as routine maintenance, I’m not sure the brand, but they have a 2 year 24000 mile warranty which enticed me to go that route. I saved a few bucks that way and wasn’t sure what the dealer offered in terms of brakes and warranty.

1,000 miles in the front left started grinding on the outside of the rotor. They chalked it up to a manufacture pad defect. I got both pads and rotors replaced no issues.

Second time around, left front brake is grinding again after 1,000 miles... but this time it’s the inside of the rotor, outside looks perfect and the inside has the round wear rings etched in there essentially. And they grind from about 20mph to 0 with medium pressure on them and I have no idea why.

I’m wondering if anyone has problems with aftermarket pads and rotors? Or does this truck only do well with OEM rotors and pads? What else could be causing this problem? I had 0 brake issues since the truck was new, and they are fine right after they are replaced until about 1000 miles into it. Any ideas on what this could be? I’m taking it in tomorrow to see what they say. I might ask for a refund and try to just go to my dodge dealer to get them fixed. Unless they have access to OEM stuff which I bet they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hello everyone,

Been having a bit of an issue with brakes. At 60,000 miles I got them squeaking pretty hard so I replaced them at a local shop and figured that as routine maintenance, I’m not sure the brand, but they have a 2 year 24000 mile warranty which enticed me to go that route. I saved a few bucks that way and wasn’t sure what the dealer offered in terms of brakes and warranty.

1,000 miles in the front left started grinding on the outside of the rotor. They chalked it up to a manufacture pad defect. I got both pads and rotors replaced no issues.

Second time around, left front brake is grinding again after 1,000 miles... but this time it’s the inside of the rotor, outside looks perfect and the inside has the round wear rings etched in there essentially. And they grind from about 20mph to 0 with medium pressure on them and I have no idea why.

I’m wondering if anyone has problems with aftermarket pads and rotors? Or does this truck only do well with OEM rotors and pads? What else could be causing this problem? I had 0 brake issues since the truck was new, and they are fine right after they are replaced until about 1000 miles into it. Any ideas on what this could be? I’m taking it in tomorrow to see what they say. I might ask for a refund and try to just go to my dodge dealer to get them fixed. Unless they have access to OEM stuff which I bet they do

If they are cheap rotors, I’ve seen where they develop heavy scale rust on the outer edges and by fluke chance a piece falls in between pad and rotor and is bonded to pad and scores rotors. Again, rare occasions but Murphy’s law prevails.

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had brake motive on my 2012 rcsb 4x4...no issues, it sounds like you have a caliper hangin' up

OP
OP
M

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, but if my caliper is sticking wouldn’t I notice something when driving not under braking? And wouldn’t a sticking caliper grind all the time? Not just under medium load from 20-stopping ?

Also after getting pads replaced both times, it worked perfect for 1,000 miles then a problem started happening. Is this coincidence for a caliper to cause an issue both times after about 1000 miles of new rotors and pads ?

Last edited: