Brake rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I was wondering if drilled and/or slotted rotors actually improve brake performance. I have heard they don't improve performance but do hasten pad wear. I know they definitely look cool. What have you guys experienced?

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have em now and have to agree... they stop great but eat the pads pretty quick and I feel create a ton of dust.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FN 2187

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
daveray9, I definitely don't want MORE dust. Thanks to you and BOWERSFJ.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have em now and think they look great and stop great. I don't notice more dust at all, but maybe it's just relative to the old junk that was on there before.
Mine are Powerstop just FYI.

I have read on this forum that some use the Wagner oex pads (double check that) because they have more dust grooves so less dust on yer wheels.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also had power stop and loved them. No rust on rotors, never noticed brake dust, so probably no more than whatever was on it before, and lasted long time even though I pulled heavy trailer some. I've heard lots of good about them all around. Just my 2¢

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whatever you do, dont bother with R1 concepts. They rusted inside of 3 months. Even with the zinc coating.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drilled can help reduce heat, which has the obvious advantages. Drilled can also allow some of the gasses to escape, but if I recall slotted can help gas escape better so the pad can create a better contact patch under stress...

Either one will eat up the pads a little faster, but they have their advantages. 99% of us would be perfectly fine with plain full rotors.

Towing heavy in the mountains where brake temperatures become an issue could benefit from drilled, or just going oversized on rotors in my opinion. I added them on my last truck but never towed heavy and didn't notice any advantage.

Brad S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l v8
Drilled is for heat dissipation and the slots act as a wipe to clear the pads of any build up. I have power stop drilled and slotted rotors and their ceramic pads and never noticed any noise or dust increase. I went for the upgrade since im running 24x14 with a -76mm offset wrapped in 35x13.50s and it definitely helped stop quicker and looked cooler. Only problem I had was my rotors warped to hell after 3k-5k miles after a wheel bearing went out.

You should check out Doughnut medias video on big brake kits on YouTube that they recently put out. It's about cars but brakes are brakes.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whatever you do, dont bother with R1 concepts. They rusted inside of 3 months. Even with the zinc coating.

I have R1 Concepts Zinc coated Drilled and Slotted rotors, going on a year and a half.... In Wisconsin! With ABSOLUTELY NO rust!...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The generic white box 4 rotors, 4 sets of pads and hardware kit I bought off eBay for just under $170 shipped early this year, stopped as good, smooth and quiet as the OEMs on my 2017 Ram 1500. Less dust too.

Living in the rust belt, I've personally found that premium coated rotors rust away just as fast as white box cheapies. Pads get hung up and as well as slide pins at about the same rate.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
last year I put the R1 Concepts Geomet slotted and drilled rotors on my '14 R/T with their carbon/ceramic pads. The difference is incredible. the truck stops so much stronger which is good because I have 305/45/22 tires on it that are stupid heavy. With this Covid stuff the truck sits for weeks at a time and I haven't had any rust. Even the factory rotors on most cars get that light surface rust if they sit but these don't

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Y'all had better luck with R1's than I did up north on the east coast. Mine rusted after the first winter.

Wagners coated line never rusted with me. Then Raybestos police line, always did an outstanding job with stopping. That's the plan with the ram in a month, to add Wagner coated and Raybestos police line on the truck. Along with a good fluid film treatment

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have R1 Concepts Zinc coated Drilled and Slotted rotors, going on a year and a half.... In Wisconsin! With ABSOLUTELY NO rust!...
Black coating?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Is that the E line rotors? The Eline coating is no where near as good as the Geomet coating.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That is great to hear! We have many customers giving us feedback that they love the R1 Concepts Geomet Rotors and Posi-quiet pad package we offer. The Geomet coating is way better than the standard E line coating they offer. Nice to hear after you have had more time on them that you still love them!

For anyone else interested in this package you can find it here.
https://gotexhaust.com/i-23698983-2009-2018-ram-1500-got-exhaust-performance-brake-package.html
Use promo code GOTBRAKES15

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that the E line rotors? The Eline coating is no where near as good as the Geomet coating.
Ya ELine. Really wish I went with your powerstop z36 setup. Been kicking myself for months.