Brakes & lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have a 2011 1500. The last time I brought my truck in to have the tires rotated the service guy tried to sell me a brake job. Approximately 7.5k miles ago. I had started to notice a shimmy whenever lightly applying the brakes. So, I decided to change front pads and rotors. Vehicle has 71k miles. This did not fix the shimmy. Since it was due to have the tires rotated again, I got them to balance the tires also. Maybe this was the shimmy ( read as nothing violent but just not right). SO, when they rotate the tires they say the back looks bad now.
After rebalancing the tires, the problem still remained. #1. I did not feel a vibration in the steering. #2 I did not feel it in the pedal. Today I changed the rear pads and rotors and it seemed to cure the issue ( I probably just jinxed it)

After changing the rear pads it magnified another issue. I have always felt this truck had mushy brakes. Not really bad just the pedal goes almost to the floor. If I pump them they get firm but slowly release all the way down. I always contributed this to the ABS. Since all of my trucks in the past 10 to 11 years have been 2500's I just felt it was a stronger, safer ABS system. After changing the rear today it has become a lot less firm. My next step I guess is to bleed the brakes good. Anyone have any other thought on this?

Lug Nuts!!!! I have never seen such crappy lug nuts on a vehicle. Basically, they are thin piece of sheet metal molded over a nut. Since most tire places do not employ the most intelligent people, they are constantly getting destroyed. Can anyone give me the threads and acorn angle ( i think this is the right term) for the lug nuts that fit the the stock aluminum 17's. If you have a good source for solid lug nuts that would be nice too...

Thanks in Advance!

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From what it sounds like I think bleeding the breaks is what you need to do.

On my mother suburban the breaks were terrible and the pedal felt mushy like you said. I was going to bleed the break for her but my father went and took it to the dealer anyway and got screwed $800 for the breaks. I drove it and they were still terrible and unsafe.
I bled the lines and now they are working like they are supposed to. So pissed at the dealer.

I would try bleeding the lines and then take it from there..

Cant help you on the lugs nuts though

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
After you bleed them, go out on a gravel road, and light up the ABS a few times. Sometimes you can get little bubbles forming in the valves that don't come out with a normal bleed job. Then check them again!