Brand new RAM died in the middle of the road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tul9033

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically windshield tint is in the 70-80% range. You'd never know it was tinted. It's done more so for the ceramic heat rejection.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine is older, but what I have seen, on that neutral lever, there is a lock button that has to be pushed with a key to release the handle.
Did you look in the book?
BTW , around here, you can’t tint front windows

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Most states prohibit windshield tinting, don't they?
And that ever stopped who? If they meant it they would go after the tint shops doing it. The truly stupid part is people paying big money and facking up their electronics, plus making it harder to drive at might, to gain absolutely zero. You can't protect people from themselves, even if you want to.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was driving my five day old 2023 RAM Laramie home from getting the windows tinted yesterday when all kinds of warning lights started going off. I think the first one was "Electric Stability Control Off". It was still driving OK, so I tried to get it home. A few miles later I started getting a bunch more lights, and all of the gauges quit working. It was in limp mode and I had about a mile to go to get home, so I kept driving. Would have made it, I think, but a guy in front of me stopped, so I had to, and once I quit moving the truck died completely. No lights, nothing. I tried pulling the orange rope behind the panel under the parking brake so I could move the car to the side, but that didn't work either! Called a tow truck. The tow driver couldn't get anything to work either, and we were trying to figure out how he was going to move the truck onto his tower. He hit the run button for about the 20th time, and some of the lights came on! He as able to get it into neutral long enough to get it loaded. Got it to the dealer, and everything was still dead. Waiting to see what they find. Has anybody else heard of anything like this??

Forgot to mention, while I was driving along with all of fault lights on, the windshield wipers were going and I couldn't shut them off.....
Lots of times when the battery goes out it causes things to go crazy with lights and such

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I really don't see how tinting the windshield could do anything to the electronics.

When it rains, the water is caught in a space where the windshield wipers are located

Any water on the inside of that windshield, would have to go to the same place

1684801593815.png

1684801649415.png

1684801815090.png
In this last pix, the factory also placed tape over the larger access panel that is right next to the radio antenna & above computers

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And that ever stopped who? If they meant it they would go after the tint shops doing it. The truly stupid part is people paying big money and facking up their electronics, plus making it harder to drive at might, to gain absolutely zero. You can't protect people from themselves, even if you want to.
Ever notice cops, at least near me, have tinted windshields.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7

60Vette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I had the same issue on the way home after picking up new 2022 Limited from the dealer. Here is what they wrote on the repair order: "Tested and found water in the EPS connector causing the can C CIRCUITS to short together. Once wires were shorted it would bring down the BUS and cause no start. Cleaned connector and added dielectric grease. Test drove"
On the way home the roads were completely dry. No rain for several days! Was told the EPS connector is located under the vehicle and runs along the frame.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Outside of the Ram Forum or the like. Betcha MOST do NOT know about this water issue when getting windows tinted.
Most likely, most shops know how to prevent this issue. If

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I asked them that. Response: do you want the tint to go all the way to the bottom of the glass? Unavoidable. It runs down the edge of the glass and never even touches the dash. They do use towels and what not but can’t get it all.
What kind of liability do they accept when doing this?
If something shorts out Ram is definitely not covering it.
Do they agree to replace anything that gets water damage? They should have insurance at least to cover that.

Big Black Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7 e-torque
That happened to a friend of mine after having that front windshield tinted. It will go back to normal, but not until it dries. Turn on your heat with the windows up sitting in the sun, which helps it along.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
That happened to a friend of mine after having that front windshield tinted. It will go back to normal, but not until it dries. Turn on your heat with the windows up sitting in the sun, which helps it along.
That would be just a great idea, IF he could get the truck to start.;) Of course then, I guess he wouldn't actually have a problem though.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:33:

Last edited:

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Why wouldn't they take the windshield out, and do the tinting on the bench? Seems like a way to avoid an expensive problem.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Why wouldn't they take the windshield out, and do the tinting on the bench? Seems like a way to avoid an expensive problem.
Taking a windshield out and re-installing the same one is a lot harder now than it used to be. On top of that, the whole issue is, the front windshield should not be being tinted in the first place, in every state in the U.S. it is illegal to tint the windshield, I looked it up. Same is true in Canada. In addition, tinting it to stop UV is completely unnecessary, it already has great UV blocking when it was made. Tinting just makes it harder to see at night, it does zero of anything else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EcoDieselDog

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OK, just got my truck back. The dealership said that a connecter had come loose, causing the battery to die. The charged it up, check all connecters for corrosion, etc.., and I just drove it home, no issues.

I don't really believe it was a loose connector, but I'll go with it. Got it back, and it seems to be fine.

Oh, and thanks to those who thought they should tell me how I should (or shouldn't!) tint MY windshield!

Seriously though, thanks for all the great input.

One last thing, I asked the service writer about the orange pull cord not working - he said that if the battery is completely dead, it won't work. Don't bite my head off - I'm just telling you what he told me!!!! Makes no sense to me that it would not work when you need it the most.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Taking a windshield out and re-installing the same one is a lot harder now than it used to be. On top of that, the whole issue is, the front windshield should not be being tinted in the first place, most places it is actually illegal. In addition, tinting it to stop UV is completely unnecessary, it already has great UV blocking when it was made. Tinting just makes it harder to see at night, it does zero of anything else.
I can't disagree that tinting a windshield has drawbacks, and I would not do it, but I live in New England. I believe it is more popular (and maybe legal?) in southern states where the sun is stronger. Original poster is from Alabama according to his profile.

Even if it is harder to pull the windshield, and I know that some of the new tech requires calibration of radar/cameras after re-installing, it has to be better than shorting out something expensive, and critical enough to leave you stuck on the side of the road.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Taking a windshield out and re-installing the same one is a lot harder now than it used to be. On top of that, the whole issue is, the front windshield should not be being tinted in the first place, most places it is actually illegal. In addition, tinting it to stop UV is completely unnecessary, it already has great UV blocking when it was made. Tinting just makes it harder to see at night, it does zero of anything else.
The factory "tint" doesn't do jack **** for heat rejection, maybe some UV but not heat. It's darn near a necessity to have your windshield tinted down here if your truck sits outside alot or if you work out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357