Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAP LOCK KID

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport QC 4x4
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Finally got around to doing this mod. This season's been bad for allergies and dust so i got the parts and put it in.
WIX filter and panel cover. Relatively easy if you have patients... which i lack.
Cutting was easy enough with the box cutter, just take it slow and steady.
Hardest part was getting that cover to snap on. I just bent the outer tabs inwards to move them back a bit ... had to repeat this a few times until it snapped on.

Thanks to everyone for all the info and tips on this one.

tojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just installed mine yesterday. I little cramped quarters for my large meat mitts but nonetheless it was an easy mod. Thanks for the original post info. :favorites13:

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
Did my 2015 2500 ram.
$1 fram carbon filter Walmart closeout
2 stripps of Gorilla tape 25 cents

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am one of the one's who can't seem to snap the door on. I even bought another door thinking there might be a problem with my first door. Well, I have come to the conclusion from looking at both doors that the "snap" is happening, except I was expecting a definite snap and it it just a small snap that I can just barely feel. The tabs on the door have only a small surface that catches the hooks on the blower housing and the door just barely holds on.

Well I guess that is OK. The blower is pulling air down through the housing so there is probably a little negative pressure holding the door as well as the measly "snaps". The door seem to stay on and it is easy to release it to change the filter.

All seems well, just thought I would post my conclusions because quite a few folks have reported trouble with snapping the cover on. My advice is feel for a small snap and don't expect a solid big SNAP.

One of the posts above talks about pressing the door tabs inward and got a better snap. I tried that but the plastic is very stiff and I doubt I bent them inward at all. Since I have two doors now I may take my heat gun to the other one and use some heat to bend those tabs inward and maybe get a good set of "snaps".

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am one of the one's who can't seem to snap the door on. I even bought another door thinking there might be a problem with my first door. Well, I have come to the conclusion from looking at both doors that the "snap" is happening, except I was expecting a definite snap and it it just a small snap that I can just barely feel. The tabs on the door have only a small surface that catches the hooks on the blower housing and the door just barely holds on.

Well I guess that is OK. The blower is pulling air down through the housing so there is probably a little negative pressure holding the door as well as the measly "snaps". The door seem to stay on and it is easy to release it to change the filter.

All seems well, just thought I would post my conclusions because quite a few folks have reported trouble with snapping the cover on. My advice is feel for a small snap and don't expect a solid big SNAP.

One of the posts above talks about pressing the door tabs inward and got a better snap. I tried that but the plastic is very stiff and I doubt I bent them inward at all. Since I have two doors now I may take my heat gun to the other one and use some heat to bend those tabs inward and maybe get a good set of "snaps".
Lay off the heat gun! The mention of pushing tabs inward refers to getting them to snap on once the door is on the housing.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Atincup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cabin filter installed.

Thanks to OP for easy to follow instructions.

On to the next mod.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I bought the kit and went to install on my 2016 CCLB. Got all my stuff together only to find out my truck is all set up from the factory. Good surprise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the number for that setup, I need to get one for mines?

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
99 cents close out at Walmart & cut it to fit.

tonys ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to thank everyone here for there help installing one of these cabin air filters.... especially the ones who uploaded pics. A little trick i thought of to catch any filings, pieces, or the nubs that might be in the way is to cut out a template of the filter on a thin piece of cardboard and slip it in there once you cut-out the main big piece. Works perfect and nothing fell down in blower housing.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just ordered my kit on EBAY for $30. I'm not so worried about dust in the cab, I'm more interested in protecting the condenser.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I did mine last night. Surprised how snug the filter fits. I hope it keeps the dust down a bit.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked my 2016 Ram.....It has the door installed from the factory. I tried to open the door to see if a filter was installed but I didn't see how to remove it. I noted a small tab in the center of the bottom edge, tried to press it and pull the cover off without luck. Rather than force it/break it I thought I would ask here first. How do you remove the factory cabin filter door?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How do you remove the factory cabin filter door?
The tabs that hold it on are on the sides of the filter cover. Push them in, should pop right off.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
To be clear, the left and right sides of the filter cover is where the tabs are located.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat