Air filter housing connection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was inspecting my air filter today and tightening the manifold bolts and was wondering if it’s normal for the air filter housing to be loose at the connection to the wheel well? There’s a foam gasket there and that is basically disintegrating. What good is a sealed air box if it’s just gaping here? If this is normal has anyone modified this to be tight or is it supposed to be loose here.
at a bare minimum I’d like to replace the gasket if it’s servicable
t looks like this is the part with the gasket

68036598AD​

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think that gasket on the intake elbow is designed to be completely air tight, as the intake pulls air from the open end of the intake just inside the fender, so you realistically aren't needing a perfect seal around the elbow. It takes about 30 seconds to pull the filter box apart and out and the elbow comes out with the lower box so you could pretty easily replace that gasket if you're inclined, but I wouldn't rate that as a serious must do soon item.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Absolutely a waste of money to replace this gasket. It's pre filter, therefore the filter is catching any debris. It doesn't affect airflow and if you go to some type of open performance intake gets taken out of the loop.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Absolutely a waste of money to replace this gasket. It's pre filter, therefore the filter is catching any debris. It doesn't affect airflow and if you go to some type of open performance intake gets taken out of the loop.

I thought itd be better if it was pure cold air and not pulling engine bay air lol, but you re probably right it's a dumb waste of money

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357