Cabin Air Filter Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sweeet. Thanks for the details. Exactly why I'm on RF haha

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question for those that have done this mod.
I did mine today and all went fine cutting the "T" shape out. The only thing is that the cover doesn't seem to "latch"
It seats nice and flush and can't go ant further, but I can pull it right off without pressing the tabs on the latch.

Anyone else have this problem?

Ray

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did mine today and all went fine cutting the "T" shape out. The only thing is that the cover doesn't seem to "latch"
It seats nice and flush and can't go ant further, but I can pull it right off without pressing the tabs on the latch.

Ray

When I did it, one of the sides latched easily because I could hear the click. The other side needed some firm pushing to get it to click. Good luck

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Ray

I did this tonight after dinner. It took me about 15 minutes to cut the T and a few more to deal with the door. Mine did not latch either. I will fool around with it more tomorrow.

The MOPAR filter I ordered had the same air flow arrow directions as the door. Easy.

EDIT: I went back and latched the drivers side then forced the passenger side to latch. It wasn't very hard. It fits very tight.

Last edited:

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this tonight after dinner. It took me about 15 minutes to cut the T and a few more to deal with the door. Mine did not latch either. I will fool around with it more tomorrow.

The MOPAR filter I ordered had the same air flow arrow directions as the door. Easy.

Mine snapped on one side with no issues as well, but would not latch on the other side until I pushed the clip down on the filter door with a little force (the side that would not latch).

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No matter how hard I pushed neither end would latch. I pushed hard enough that I was moving the whole air box assembly.

I ended up taking an exacto knife chisel razor and trimming no more than 1/32 off of the bottom of the latch on the cover. After that, it snaps right on with just some light pressure and fits snug. Maybe there was a batch of air boxes with a bad molding or something.

relliK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Thanks for this information, installed OEM filter with cover. No issues, part numbers from first post are spot on. No issues with latching.

Evil_Ed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to keep in mind - don't forget the filter there! I swapped mine out at around 7k miles and it was filthy! It'd probably have made it to 10k miles without too much of a restriction, but certainly not much more than that.

Admittedly I'm partially in farm country so it can get a little dusty, but just a heads up - if you forget about this filter, it'll gum up tout suite! If you go by the EVIC cluster's oil change interval, I'd recommend swapping it out with every oil change...if you go by the old-school 3k/5k miles and change oil method, I'd swap it out every other oil change, or whenever you rotate the tires, if that's easier.

Doc221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Finally got the parts and just got done. Easy to do and makes me feel better that the air is filtered now.

One question what is the white accordion thing on top of the airbox. It was down at one point and then lifted up mechanically and stayed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375811126283.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375811126283.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,999
Last edited:

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been on this forum for only 30 minutes now, and already a 2nd project I need to accomplish. Wonderful... Thanks RF for taking up all my free time! Now my honey do list will be even longer.

Edit: I ordered my filter kit from Genos Garage. Now the wait begins, but until then, I have enough to process for cleaning the truck.

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got the parts and just got done. Easy to do and makes me feel better that the air is filtered now.

One question what is the white accordion thing on top of the airbox. It was down at one point and then lifted up mechanically and stayed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

That's the blend door. Up is recirculated air, down is fresh outside air. Be VERY careful with it. It has a little plastic tab that connects to its actuator motor, very easy to break, and very annoying and or/expensive to replace. Depending on who does the fixing. You or dealer.

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A box from Genos showed up today! I'm taking care of this tomorrow! Gonna have some clean air in the cab of my Ram starting tomorrow!

I'm going to take lots of pictures, post them here and see what everyone thinks.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish my 3rd gen ram had this option, I don't know why it doesn't.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
A box from Genos showed up today! I'm taking care of this tomorrow! Gonna have some clean air in the cab of my Ram starting tomorrow!

I'm going to take lots of pictures, post them here and see what everyone thinks.

Ditto for me. Just got the box from Geno's. I will be doing this mod tonight.

Thanks for posting this.

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Alright... I sucked at this mod. I ripped off half my skin from my right pinky nail all the way up to the knuckle... which needless to say, makes typing a little difficult. Thank God for spell check. Ugh. So at least my ram now has my blood sweat and tears invested in it. If this is the cabin air filter mod install, I can look forward to losing the entire hand when I install my catch can. But it's installed. At the very least, it's completed. what a horrible day.

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I just finished this mod. It took about 40 minutes to complete. Really not too bad to to do, but getting the cover to latch was a bit of a pain in the ass. Another member had posted he laid across the seat to get a better angle on cutting the slot. I did that which really helped. I'm glad this is done, but still pissed a truck with a $50k sticker price doesn't have the filter from the factory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ihnken33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I started getting the sucking noise too. Took apart the glove box again, and the cover WILL NOT snap into place. I pushed so hard I was moving the truck. Good thing it wasn't in neutral otherwise I'd go running with it trying to get this cover on. I'll have to figure it out on how to get that bad boy secure. Maybe later after my hand heals. But for now, at least it smells wonderful in the cab with that oil on the filter.