Calling all Cummins owners that tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I didn't think so... i have read how on fords the glow plugs caused issues in the cylinders. seems like Ram's design with the grid heater is a better way.. especially if most the time you just cycle the grid eater 2-3 times.

As a side note, if anyone is in a reasonably cold environment the Ford PSD tends to eat DEF heaters like skittles.

My friend with a 2011 6.7 has had the heater fail each of the last 3 winters. DEF freezes at something like 17 degrees or thereabouts (at least that is what they told him) and in northern VT we call 17 degrees "October"......

These failed so often that two winters ago there was a national shortage of the part and his work rig sat for 3 weeks which cost him thousands in jobs he couldn't get to.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
As a side note, if anyone is in a reasonably cold environment the Ford PSD tends to eat DEF heaters like skittles.

My friend with a 2011 6.7 has had the heater fail each of the last 3 winters. DEF freezes at something like 17 degrees or thereabouts (at least that is what they told him) and in northern VT we call 17 degrees "October"......

These failed so often that two winters ago there was a national shortage of the part and his work rig sat for 3 weeks which cost him thousands in jobs he couldn't get to.

The Cummins does not have electronic DEF heaters like the Powerstoke. They are prone to failures and Cummins doesn't like using things that are prone to fail like glow plugs and the CP4 pump until they have proven themselves. Trust me, the word reliability is drilled into you when you work there. This is why I tell people that they cannot apply certain things on other diesels to a Cummins.

The Cummins uses warm engine coolant to thaw the DEF. If the DEF is frozen at start up, then the Cummins just utilizes the EGR until the engine coolant is warm enough to thaw the DEF. Once it is thawed, then the engine will switch to utilizing the SCR as needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I would like to thank everyone here that helped answer my questions.. you guys are very helpful...

picked her up yesterday. decided to go with a mega cab. love the truck it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.. its got the floor console which was a must for me... as well as the 8.4 screen which has been updated i think from the 2015 and also the 7 inch premium cluster...

the dealer didn't top off DEF fluid... its almost full according to the gauge... but said when you just top it off it can mess with and confuse the computer and i should wait until the light for it comes on?? is that true? also when i fill it does it have to be completely full?

when you guys are out on longer trips towing do you carry extra DEF? and if so where do you sure it? In the manuel it states it has a shelf life of about a year if stored in the right conditions and not hotter that 90 degrees..??

i noticed a screen on the EVIC that says Exhaust/turbo? what do those mean?

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 68

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the new purchase! Hopefully you got a decent deal. Mega cab is the one option I regret not getting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Congrats on the new purchase! Hopefully you got a decent deal. Mega cab is the one option I regret not getting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thank you... I was upside down on my trade i already knew that though and expected it.. I love the Mega CAB.. its pretty sweet. got the truck at about invoice and the rebates went towards my trade to bring the negative down a bit.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
the dealer didn't top off DEF fluid... its almost full according to the gauge... but said when you just top it off it can mess with and confuse the computer and i should wait until the light for it comes on?? is that true? also when i fill it does it have to be completely full?

when you guys are out on longer trips towing do you carry extra DEF? and if so where do you sure it? In the manuel it states it has a shelf life of about a year if stored in the right conditions and not hotter that 90 degrees..??

i noticed a screen on the EVIC that says Exhaust/turbo? what do those mean?

The DEF gauge is not linear at all, for example, when my DEF level needle is on the beginning of the red zone, a 2 1/2 gallon jug of DEF will push the needle to full. The more load the engine is under, the more DEF is used but it doesn't use that much fluid. I don't carry DEF with me since it is available at truck stops at the pump and in the jugs and autoparts stores. You will need to find the balance between how much and what you use with respect to storage life.

Be cautious of jugs of DEF, I've read several post in the Cummins forum of people buying a jug at Walmart and discovering it was just water. Guess it is common with oil and washer fluid also but only at Walmart. I guess their return policy is easier and run by folks not aware.

For around $20 you can pickup a DEF quality tester like this one; https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-Urea...TF8&qid=1467635176&sr=8-3&keywords=def+tester. I have this one and always test the DEF before pouring. I also keep my DEF purchase receipts and take a picture of the DEF's date of mixing. If I ever have an issue I don't want the dealer to blame it on bad DEF (yet another read of horror on the Cummins forum).

The exhaust/turbo shows the amount of exhaust braking in horse power being applied. The turbo shows the PSI of boost to the air intake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
The DEF gauge is not linear at all, for example, when my DEF level needle is on the beginning of the red zone, a 2 1/2 gallon jug of DEF will push the needle to full. The more load the engine is under, the more DEF is used but it doesn't use that much fluid. I don't carry DEF with me since it is available at truck stops at the pump and in the jugs and autoparts stores. You will need to find the balance between how much and what you use with respect to storage life.

Be cautious of jugs of DEF, I've read several post in the Cummins forum of people buying a jug at Walmart and discovering it was just water. Guess it is common with oil and washer fluid also but only at Walmart. I guess their return policy is easier and run by folks not aware.

For around $20 you can pickup a DEF quality tester like this one; https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-Urea...TF8&qid=1467635176&sr=8-3&keywords=def+tester. I have this one and always test the DEF before pouring. I also keep my DEF purchase receipts and take a picture of the DEF's date of mixing. If I ever have an issue I don't want the dealer to blame it on bad DEF (yet another read of horror on the Cummins forum).

The exhaust/turbo shows the amount of exhaust braking in horse power being applied. The turbo shows the PSI of boost to the air intake.

thanks.. i haven't purchased any def yet.. i have looked at walmart they have the walmart brand and bludef. i can't remember which but i know i read one said it was already mixed and there was no need to mix anything.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sharp Truck. You will really enjoy the new heavy duty. They are really nice driving trucks for what they are. It will pull your trailer like its not even there.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It should, its not a 6.4

I would think a 6.4 would be able to pull a 7,500lbs camper just fine. Did you see the video of the 6.4 pulling all that weight up the Ike? It was bada$$.

ptesmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would think a 6.4 would be able to pull a 7,500lbs camper just fine. Did you see the video of the 6.4 pulling all that weight up the Ike? It was bada$$.

I don't want to feed the troll (Danno) but have to add me 0.02.

regarding the IKE video yes it pulled that massive load, but what had me in shock the whole time was the trailer brake temp, they were surprised to see it so high and it made me wonder if they were dragging, and they never bothered to check them after pulling...ive made some steep climbs with a decent load and have never seen anything close to how that truck performed..

I regularly tow a #8000 5th wheel with the bed jammed with wood, and fully loaded family in the cab, through the Canadian rockies icefield parkway (roughly 9000ft elev). I have never had any issue with towing, at all. I also have had to tow a friend of mines 38' 5th wheel that comes in at #12500 dry a couple times and still did not have any issue pulling it.

Danno can say all he wants about the 6.4 but my experiences vastly disprove his claims. I'm coming from a long line of 5.7's and 5.9CTD ownership and towing experience. My 6.4, with 4.10 rear, does not disappoint me in any way.

but as with everything on a forum, this is my opinion and experience, i'm not spouting it as gospel...

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

regarding the IKE video yes it pulled that massive load, but what had me in shock the whole time was the trailer brake temp, they were surprised to see it so high and it made me wonder if they were dragging, and they never bothered to check them after pulling...ive made some steep climbs with a decent load and have never seen anything close to how that truck performed..

I regularly tow a #8000 5th wheel with the bed jammed with wood, and fully loaded family in the cab, through the Canadian rockies icefield parkway (roughly 9000ft elev). I have never had any issue with towing, at all. I also have had to tow a friend of mines 38' 5th wheel that comes in at #12500 dry a couple times and still did not have any issue pulling it.

Danno can say all he wants about the 6.4 but my experiences vastly disprove his claims. I'm coming from a long line of 5.7's and 5.9CTD ownership and towing experience. My 6.4, with 4.10 rear, does not disappoint me in any way.

but as with everything on a forum, this is my opinion and experience, i'm not spouting it as gospel...

I was just trying to get him going.

ptesmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was just trying to get him going.

lol I know, but Ive been meaning to put my experience into words at some point so just went with it..

on the IKE video though, did no one else catch that they were surprised by the brake temps of the trailer on the descend? and then never questioned the trailer brakes going up??

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

That whole Ike thing makes me chuckle. That test STARTS at 2000+ feet higher than the highest pass I would ever traverse- which to me makes it a completely worthless piece of media. Just for interest:

Highwood pass 2.206m (7,238 ft) Alberta Asphalt
Bow pass 2.088m (6,850 ft) Alberta Asphalt
Grey Creek pass 2.072m (6,800 ft) British Columbia Gravel
Sunwapta pass 2.035m (6,677ft) Alberta Asphalt
Smith-Dorrien pass 1.905m (6,250ft) Alberta Gravel
Moraine lake 1.885m (6,183 ft) Alberta Asphalt
Kootenay pass 1.775m (5,823 ft) British Columbia Asphalt
Pennask summit 1.728m (5760 ft) British Columbia Asphalt
Vermilion pass 1.680m (5,510 ft) AB/BC Asphalt
Kicking Horse pass 1.643m (5,390 ft) AB/BC Asphalt
Heckman pass 1.524m (5.000 ft) British Columbia Gravel

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That whole Ike thing makes me chuckle. That test STARTS at 2000+ feet higher than the highest pass I would ever traverse- which to me makes it a completely worthless piece of media. Just for interest:

I don't think they are worthless. I really like those tests especially since I pulled up that road in my F150 EB. It's kind of one of those extreme tests that if the truck can do reasonably well there then you know it can do well just about anywhere. I have heard of a truck owner in the forums who said they wished they would have seen those videos before making their truck purchase because their truck performed just as horribly on those tests as their truck did pulling their RV on that very same road even though it was well below its rating. From most that I talk to about the Ike if their favorite does well then they love the videos, but if their favorite doesn't do well then they hate the videos.

I don't care either way because there are not to many reviewers who would tow up mountain roads(or any road at all) like that and let us watch along the way. In fact, I can't think of any. I do wish they would do it in other locations, but those guys are kind of limited on funds and that is the closest place they can find from what I have been told. So for me it is a take what I can get kind of thing. Most of the time any information is better than no information.

Last edited:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don't think they are worthless. I really like those tests especially since I pulled up that road in my F150 EB. It's kind of one of those extreme tests that if the truck can do reasonably well there then you know it can do well just about anywhere. I have heard of a truck owner in the forums who said they wished they would have seen those videos before making their truck purchase because their truck performed just as horribly on those tests as their truck did pulling their RV on that very same road even though it was well below its rating. From most that I talk to about the Ike if their favorite does well then they love the videos, but if their favorite doesn't do well then they hate the videos.

I don't care either way because there are not to many reviewers who would tow up mountain roads(or any road at all) like that and let us watch along the way. In fact, I can't think of any. I do wish they would do it in other locations, but those guys are kind of limited on funds and that is the closest place they can find from what I have been told. So for me it is a take what I can get kind of thing. Most of the time any information is better than no information.

I think the videos are a good representation of the vehicles, especially if you live in that area, or travel through the mountains with a trailer.

I would like to see more of the open road towing with grades less than 6% because that is more like the terrain I travel, but I should be able to do those routes with any of the big 3 HD trucks as long as I stay within the manufacturers' weight limits.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can't argue it. I should have worded it differently. Those are worthless to me *because* they start at 2000+ feet higher than I will ever be. If I were ever going to be pushing those kind of extremes you could bet I'd be in a cummins :)

From personal experience this 6.4 will pull a big weight for a gasser up a decent grade for a reasonable distance. To be exact our dump trailer with the new holland skid steer, the forks and the 7' bucket, tools, up each side of the Frenchman river valley. Did fine. Over GCWR I am pretty sure. So for me it does as I asked.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went from a diesel into my 6.4 Hemi towing an 8500# TT. I live out west with lots of hills so I was at least aware that I could see some drop off in higher elevations. I pulled over the Cascade Range which maxes out around 4500' and am happy to report the truck had no problem at all (sorry Danno :()

Granted, 8500# is just a fraction of the truck's rating and I'm sure pulling the max could bog it down. I've since moved into a 10,500# 5th and am planning some mountain travels this summer. I'll report on how it goes (hang in there Danno - I still may help you trash the 6.4).

I'm running the 3.73 gears and wish I could have got the 4.10s but it is what it is. If you can catch good RPMs in second gear this 6.4 is a beast. It just struggles at lower speeds. Once you're rolling it's got PLENTY of power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank