Calling all Cummins owners that tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It should, its not a 6.4

I know the O.P. Has a new truck now but..

How did this comment provide anything to the thread. A comment doesnt even need to be 100% related or it could just be a little joke or somthing that might make some laugh.....this is providing nothing. I honestly want to know what you are trying to do here. And im willing to talk in that "cage match" thread or whatever it is....even though im not trying to fight. Just want an honest answere about the purpose of your post....if you willing to talk, not fight.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know the O.P. Has a new truck now but..

How did this comment provide anything to the thread. A comment doesnt even need to be 100% related or it could just be a little joke or somthing that might make some laugh.....this is providing nothing. I honestly want to know what you are trying to do here. And im willing to talk in that "cage match" thread or whatever it is....even though im not trying to fight. Just want an honest answere about the purpose of your post....if you willing to talk, not fight.

Danno is our resident troll. He rarely responds to anything logically but prefers to just throw senseless comments here and there to get people fired up. He's particularly mystical since on most message boards I frequent, the troll is actually knowledgeable but just very opinionated. In this case he's just annoying and without substantive information.

To complete my profiling I'd imagine he's the owner of a low end, older diesel powered vehicle. Perhaps a Volkswagen Dasher or Rabbit from the mid-80s. Certainly, nothing that runs off of gas. Whatever it is, I'm sure it would fit in the bed of a 6.4 HEMI and be EASILY pulled up any mountain pass.

:favorites13:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Danno is our resident troll. He rarely responds to anything logically but prefers to just throw senseless comments here and there to get people fired up. He's particularly mystical since on most message boards I frequent, the troll is actually knowledgeable but just very opinionated. In this case he's just annoying and without substantive information.

To complete my profiling I'd imagine he's the owner of a low end, older diesel powered vehicle. Perhaps a Volkswagen Dasher or Rabbit from the mid-80s. Certainly, nothing that runs off of gas. Whatever it is, I'm sure it would fit in the bed of a 6.4 HEMI and be EASILY pulled up any mountain pass.

thanks for the insight. iv heard that and am starting to notice it for myself... but I like to hear things form the horse's mouth sometimes. I have a side of me that gets very interested in peoples thought process's. Not to say i haven't said or mad bad decisions, I just enjoy it. it amazes me beyond belief, some of the things I hear.

takes all kinds

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey OP, how are you liking that Cummins?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I would like to thank everyone here that helped answer my questions.. you guys are very helpful...

picked her up yesterday. decided to go with a mega cab. love the truck it doesn't have all the bells and whistles.. its got the floor console which was a must for me... as well as the 8.4 screen which has been updated i think from the 2015 and also the 7 inch premium cluster...

the dealer didn't top off DEF fluid... its almost full according to the gauge... but said when you just top it off it can mess with and confuse the computer and i should wait until the light for it comes on?? is that true? also when i fill it does it have to be completely full?

when you guys are out on longer trips towing do you carry extra DEF? and if so where do you sure it? In the manuel it states it has a shelf life of about a year if stored in the right conditions and not hotter that 90 degrees..??

i noticed a screen on the EVIC that says Exhaust/turbo? what do those mean?

Congrats! Man I love that color, nice I know that you can't wait to tow something.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine

Someone spent too much time on this and as we can see isn't very knowledgeable, we know the 6.4 can't anything up any mountain pass. If you haven't seen it look at the 6.4 Ike challenge. 2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] – The Fast Lane Truck This where a less powerful GM 6.0 at max capacity outperforms the new 6.4 well under its max advertised capacity, the gm and ram are towing the same weight.

6.4 seems to be only bought by bragging right fanboys who just want to say "I have the best in class power", in reality the numbers have been inflatted. So sad!!!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had to pull over to read this just after I finished pulling my trailer up a huge ass grade at 60mph with a bed full of stones for my wifes garden back in town! You're right Danno! That video makes me want to run in and trade my over rated woefully gutless 6.4L in right away!

:/

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Someone spent too much time on this and as we can see isn't very knowledgeable, we know the 6.4 can't anything up any mountain pass. If you haven't seen it look at the 6.4 Ike challenge. 2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] – The Fast Lane Truck This where a less powerful GM 6.0 at max capacity outperforms the new 6.4 well under its max advertised capacity, the gm and ram are towing the same weight.

6.4 seems to be only bought by bragging right fanboys who just want to say "I have the best in class power", in reality the numbers have been inflatted. So sad!!!
Your Momma Troll needs to find you some new material Danno..:roflsquared::supergay:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
He's baaaaaack.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Why don't you share some pictures of your two HD Rams with us and while you're at it, let us know what you do for a living that makes you such an expert on all things trucks. I'm sure many of us here would like to know how you became such an expert. After all, you have owned six new Ram trucks alone.

Otherwise you're just the same idiot troll we've known all along. And hopefully someday we can get a moderator in here to put you on short notice.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Seems to me the opinion of those who are real life 6.4 hemi owners opinion may mean more to me than someone who is spouting off while not even owning a ram truck.

I suggest watching the video, but you have to watch it and take what you can get from it with a grain of salt. You are literally outside your mind if you think those guys can't be bought to throw any of those videos. Hell for all we know that beer bellied bearded ******* could be danno...

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've seen the Ike video, and I've watched many of their other ones. They are semi-useful as a single data point when evaluating a vehicle.

The subsequent explanation by Ram engineers about the gear hold calibration makes sense to me and explains the results of the Ike test. Now we can all debate the usefulness of the gear hold calibration all we want. I think it can be a useful feature if there was a manual way to punt when you want to. I like the truck sticking with a single gear as hunting and pecking for gears, especially with heavy throttle downshifts from 3 to 2 in any vehicle is an unwanted jerking around of the horses we tow, and hell on transmissions and rear-ends.

Regarding the towing power of the 6.4L.....I've now been towing with it for the better part of two seasons and I love it.....very quiet, plenty of power for my needs. As I have mentioned I tow 6-7500lbs of trailer and horses with 1000-1500lbs of payload in the truck and I can pass whatever vehicle I want on long grades in 3rd gear and absolutely in 2nd gear.

If I were towing at altitude higher than the 1,500-3,000 ft we encounter in my area of New England/Northeast I wouldn't have picked a normally aspirated engine from any manufacturer. I would have gone back to a turbo diesel.

But what do I know, I just have the actual truck and tow with it and could purchase any damn truck in any configuration I want from any manufacturer.

Back to the Cummins owners as this thread was pointed to.......

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Seems to me the opinion of those who are real life 6.4 hemi owners opinion may mean more to me than someone who is spouting off while not even owning a ram truck.

I suggest watching the video, but you have to watch it and take what you can get from it with a grain of salt. You are literally outside your mind if you think those guys can't be bought to throw any of those videos. Hell for all we know that beer bellied bearded ******* could be danno...

Yhea, I agree they were bought :roflsquared:, it's a conspiracy.

They were so concerned they contacted Ram then ran a second test to verify. Rammstated works as designed, aka you exceeded its capacity that is below what ram rated them at.

The orginal test.
2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] – The Fast Lane Truck

The followup after contacting ram:

"Ram came back with the following explanation.

“Ram Truck ‘invented’ the first gear hold feature – and calibrated it – to avoid gear hunting and driving at excessively high rpm’s. Ike Gauntlet is a variable grade and we worked hard to develop a calibration that appropriately manages torque on this run and other grades. We don’t want the truck to rev high for extended periods of time and purposely hold 4,200 rpm.”

2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L HEMI and Gear Hold Feature [Ike Gauntlet Video] – The Fast Lane Truck

My profession isn't important and neither are my vehicles but I have posted pictures of my rams. It was after completion of the track bar recall. Sorry I'm not a fanboy of the 6.4 and its misleading claims of capability.

If it didn't exceed its advertised capacity then how did the gm 6.0 and Ford 6.2 out pull it will less power. Gear hold is just a cop out for we don't want to blow it up while others have years of proven reliability that their less powerful engine is far superior than the 6.4. Also note that the 6.4 was well under it towing capacity as the GM 6.0 was at its max capacity and outpermed the 6.4. With the ram being well within its capacity the 6.0 should have been the truck to struggle in this test.

Towing a 6k-7k load is Tacoma range, a half ton can pull that with no problem. Oh wait there's a video of that...

http://www.tfltruck.com/2013/10/ike-gauntlet-2013-ram-1500-crewcab-sport-4x4-extreme-towing-test/

http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/01/ike-gauntlet-2014-nissan-frontier-pro-4x-extreme-towing-test/

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ah yes, more anecdotal evidence that will certainly prove those of us who actually own and run the 6.4L (and a Ram for that matter) wrong again. How silly of me to believe my own experience over something that the internet says.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Towing a 6k-7k load is Tacoma range, a half ton can pull that with no problem. Oh wait there's a video of that.../[/url]

Yup, in theory, but there isn't a Tacoma in the world I would trust to panic stop the horses we tow or control a high centered load of live weight in crosswinds or adverse conditions. But you wouldn't know about factoring those types of things into a buying decision as the race to the top of a single mountain pass is the only criteria that matters.

I'm sorry Danno, all I have to tow only adds up to 9000plbs of payload and trailer.......I stick to my real world examples from my own experience towing with various vehicles. I leave others to Google-quote things that support their point of view. I won't exaggerate my claims to "win" an argument on the webernet, I'll also leave that to others who feel the need. Based on my personal, real world experience with the 6.4L I have no regrets whatsoever about choosing this rig.

we'd love to hear about your experience towing with the 6.4L if you care to share. If not, and if the 6.4 doesn't blow your hair back....then I'm sure the local GM dealership would be happy to sell you a new rig with the engine you love so you can feel complete. Feel free to get started:

Locate Chevy Car Dealerships Near You | Chevrolet

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hey OP, how are you liking that Cummins?

its a lot better than my hemi was. went on a trip for work pulling my trailer and averaged 10 MPG on the way... lots of hills and inclines... 12 MPG on the way back. much more responsive. I'm happy with it and I've read the mileage only gets better with more miles.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good to hear

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yhea, I agree they were bought :roflsquared:, it's a conspiracy.

They were so concerned they contacted Ram then ran a second test to verify. Rammstated works as designed, aka you exceeded its capacity that is below what ram rated them at.

The orginal test.
2014 Ram 2500 HD: 6.4L HEMI vs. 6.0L Chevy [Ike Gauntlet HD] – The Fast Lane Truck

The followup after contacting ram:

"Ram came back with the following explanation.

“Ram Truck ‘invented’ the first gear hold feature – and calibrated it – to avoid gear hunting and driving at excessively high rpm’s. Ike Gauntlet is a variable grade and we worked hard to develop a calibration that appropriately manages torque on this run and other grades. We don’t want the truck to rev high for extended periods of time and purposely hold 4,200 rpm.”

2014 Ram 2500 HD 6.4L HEMI and Gear Hold Feature [Ike Gauntlet Video] – The Fast Lane Truck

My profession isn't important and neither are my vehicles but I have posted pictures of my rams. It was after completion of the track bar recall. Sorry I'm not a fanboy of the 6.4 and its misleading claims of capability.

If it didn't exceed its advertised capacity then how did the gm 6.0 and Ford 6.2 out pull it will less power. Gear hold is just a cop out for we don't want to blow it up while others have years of proven reliability that their less powerful engine is far superior than the 6.4. Also note that the 6.4 was well under it towing capacity as the GM 6.0 was at its max capacity and outpermed the 6.4. With the ram being well within its capacity the 6.0 should have been the truck to struggle in this test.

Towing a 6k-7k load is Tacoma range, a half ton can pull that with no problem. Oh wait there's a video of that...

Ike Gauntlet: 2013 Ram 1500 CrewCab Sport 4×4 – Extreme Towing Test – The Fast Lane Truck

Ike Gauntlet: 2014 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X – Extreme Towing Test – The Fast Lane Truck
Laughing my ass off Danno.:****sweak: I bet when your co-workers see you headed towards the water cooler to chit-chat they scatter.:3638400157_e7de35b0