Can I tow this legally?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
When I checked the tow rating for my truck there is a difference between max towing in 2014 and 2016. I don't think there were any revisions to the truck during 2014-2016. Why with the same gear ratio, 4x4, cab and engine can I magically tow 500 lbs more. Does this mean my 2014 can tow that? I'm sure it can, but legally?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would help if you told everyone what you are wanting to tow and how much it weighs but it sounds like you are looking to tow over your max limits which is not a good idea.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Legally is simply a matter of max axle weight on the truck and max trailer weight. If your under those numbers and you're truck is registered for enough Gross vehicle weight you're legal. Higher trim level trucks are heavier and as a result have lower ratings even with the same drivetrain. As far as can it pull it. It's surprising how much these 1/2 tons can pull.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally have no idea how much my 1500 can tow "legally". I think that's probably tied to the registration. If you tow more than the amount on your door sticker, that doesn't make you illegal.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can tow more than the manufacturer says it can tow with the right registration legally, but your max axle weight on your truck is your max axle weight period.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck manufacturers have something called "magic towing dust" that they sprinkle over the trucks whenever they need higher ratings for competitive reasons ....
But seriously, I've noticed the same with my truck gaining 200 lbs of towing capacity over the same timeframe. There may have been changes to transmission programming but for the most part it's a number the manufacturer feels comfortable with for meeting the requirements of SAE J2807 and durability.
As noted above, the only numbers that matter are the axle and vehicle weight ratings on the vehicle. Nowhere on the truck it states a maximum trailer weight.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my 2015 Quad Cab new, I shopped an identically configured Crew Cab with the same 6.4 bed. According to the door sticker it was 186 lbs heavier but magically had a 200 lb higher GVWR. Same axle, springs, wheels, tires, etc.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wonder if the frame is heavier on the crew with 6'4" box since it's 8" longer.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought my 2015 Quad Cab new, I shopped an identically configured Crew Cab with the same 6.4 bed. According to the door sticker it was 186 lbs heavier but magically had a 200 lb higher GVWR. Same axle, springs, wheels, tires, etc.

and because it weighed more, it has less chance of locking up a tire, so it could stop more....hence the extra towing capacity.

also, a longer truck is more stable......and takes more weight on the rear to lift the front (lever stuff)

:33:

it does seem they change the ratings on a whim, but think about it, if it tows more in 2016 than 2014, did they lighten the truck, did it get heavier, did something in the transmission change that lets it handle more load ? Did the engine power output go up ? Did they add more torque nannies ?