Carven TR - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I know exhaust questions have been asked ad nauseam, but I'm here to post yet another muffler question. I've seen a few members here with the Carven R series muffler, but don't know if anyone has the TR series? I plan on getting one welded in at Jr's in Fort Worth (the preferred installer on Carven's site) but wanted to see if anyone had one and their thoughts on the muffler. I'm sticking with a single TR SI/DO (with the Carven Y-pipe) because I eventually want to get some headers and a catted Y-pipe and want everything to bolt up in the stock location (so I can DYI). ANYWAY to the question part of this, I have a 2 year old son who rides with me frequently, and I don't want anything too bad for him, I'm okay with borderline obnoxious but the wife and kid may not be. To put it in perspective I had a 2012 QC before my son was born, with a welded in 18" Magnaflow (12278) the wife was a-ok, even on a long trip to Louisiana from OKC, and several back and forths from OKC to Dallas. So I know she can tolerate that, and YouTube videos on the TR are lacking so I can't fully compare.

Oh I'll be keeping the stock resonators, and if Carven ever comes back with the blacked out tips I'll pick them up to install.

So there it is, one more exhaust thread :)

P.S. looks like the RA-X bolt-in system is available on the Carven site 369.99 Shipped to TX little expensive but hey you can do it in your driveway and it's all SS.

Edit: Well I'm going to Jr's Muffler Shop in Fort Worth to get a TR welded in on Monday, so I'll have some videos then, hopefully it'll be the right noise level!

Last edited:

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my TR welded in last week
It is definitely louder than the Dynomax Ultraflows I've had on past trucks
Zero drone
MDS cutting in at low RPMs is almost unbearable around town, but not a issue at highway speeds
After the OEM muffler was removed we started the truck and then stuck the TR on the open pipe- at a idle there was no difference in loudness but a much better tone
We left the resonator on our single exit exhaust, however I have heard the dual exit systems are a little louder
My last exhaust was pretty conservative, this ones way louder but not obnoxious
End result- very happy with the choice

OP
OP
S

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the response

6speed4.7 thank you for the reply! I'm pretty eager to get this done come Monday, I'm glad to hear there isn't any drone, and MDS at highway isn't bad! I remember the Magnaflow kind of lugging around town with MDS, but it wasn't terrible. This definitely solidifies my decision, and I'm going to Carven's preferred installer in Ft Worth too, so hopefully they'll do a nice job on it!

Now if they could just get those black tips back in stock *drool*

OP
OP
S

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed!

Well guys I've got it installed, here is a video of them backing it off the lift, also headphones give you a better idea.

Video Here

Thoughts:

Great, I mean GREAT sound, this muffler lets you and everyone else know you have a HEMI. Around town it is quite mellow, when you get up to speed the sound is almost non-existent in the cab, which is exactly what I was aiming towards. I believe it has already quieted down from when I first left the shop, on the way home from Fort Worth I did 65, 70, 75, and 80 for parts of the trip. Slight bit of drone at 65ish, 70 is pretty good, you definitely hear all the speeds in the cab more than stock. Also you can certainly hear MDS kick in, I know for some people that is unacceptable, but it's a minor thing to me so I leave it enabled. I didn't have to raise my voice to hold a conversation with my wife, and my son (2 years old) kept saying "Hear it, Hear it!" and the occasional "More" so I think I'm good there!

Idle is nice and rumble-y, all in all, I'm digging the Carven TR, and glad I went with it over the R series.

Also shout out to Jr's Muffler Center in Fort Worth, Juan and his team fabbed everything up, and even lined up my misaligned tips (like that when I bought it). They are the authorized installer in DFW for Carven, and they did everything for a reasonable price!

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Great personal review of an awesome Hand Crafted muffler! I don't have the Carven installed on my Ram. I have a 14" Jones Full Boar. Installed about 4 months before I come across the Carven {Which I only wish I could turn back time}.
I did introduce my son and his 09 FX4 F150 5.4L 3V to the Carven R the TR was not yet produced and the sound is amazing! I don't think there is another muffler sound like it. I feel the Spin-Tech has a similar sound.

If the Carven company had the RA-X kit in production at the time of my muffler replacement search--> I definitely would be sporting the Carven sound now.
Maybe in the near future they will begin building this kit with the TR muffer.

With a proven dyno run & an increase of 8hp & 23tq over stock as well as a 20lb weight reduction over stock--->Really has an impressive benefit. {Things some of us are always thrilled to gain after modifications.}

This kit will be on the top of my list when my Jones Muffler decides to retire. I am now waiting on Carven to put their new 5" bolt on Black tips into production. These will be going on for sure. {If the price is reasonable.}

Trying to talk the brother-in-law into the RA-X on his 2013 Ram! He has been looking to do a muffler swap for some time. For some reason he always wants to ride in mine! :happy107: He lives a little on the Scared Side most of the time. Keep telling him since he likes the way Mine sounds-->He will be grinning from ear to ear every time he starts up and drives his with the RA-X installed. What a way to start and end your day!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

SyN the muffler sounds better every time I listen to one, I was really excited for the RA-X kit, but couldn't justify the money when compared to having a reputable shop install one. Though I would put money on saying the full kit has it's benefits - It'd be all Stainless (my muffler's extension pipes are Y are Aluminized Steel not a biggie in TX, but overtime might be), and it's DIY. The dyno sheets, for a bolt-in Muffler are so impressive, glad to see Carven put that out as I'd always thought a simple muffler swap would be so minute no one could even measure it.

All in all, love to Carven sound, and glad the TR is an option, I saw somewhere in the comments on Facebook or Instagram the owner of Carven mentioned he'd measure it up to see if a TR based bolt-in kit would be do-able (I imagine so).

Also to note, Juan at Jr's Muffler Center mentioned he sells very few TR mufflers, as most people are there for the R series (which I've heard isn't quite as loud as one might think :) )

I'm going to try and film some cruising on the highway this weekend and get that thrown on YouTube for anyone curious.

sonofaeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just joined this forum. I purchased last weekend and installed the Carven TR Progressive series. Sounds great but a little to loud for my liking. I'd be more than happy to sell or trade for a mufflex 24".

WhiteRamCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just joined this forum. I purchased last weekend and installed the Carven TR Progressive series. Sounds great but a little to loud for my liking. I'd be more than happy to sell or trade for a mufflex 24".

Still interested in this? I have a mufflex 24" on my 2012 crew. Where are you located?

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm curious as to how the 6.4 would sound with the carven.

JRam813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think I'll be putting the competitor series on mine sometime within the next couple of weeks (hopefully).

Shoot me a PM when you do it! I would like to hear it compared to the TR series.

kccustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That first start up after installing Carvens is so gratifying.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Shoot me a PM when you do it! I would like to hear it compared to the TR series.

Sure thing. I'm hoping it's in the cards. Did a little OT and am hoping the wife will be on board with it. I've spent a little bit of money on this thing over the past month on a new tonneau cover, and a linex job on the bed. Crossing my fingers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jovtra