Casting Sand: 6.4 Hemi HD Coolant Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Highly unlikely. It is not like they push the trucks out behind the assembly plant and use tap water from a hose out back and some gallon jugs to fill cooling systems at the factory. The factory has a water distilling system to produce distilled water which is then mixed with the coolant concentrate from a gun much like a soda fountain. The sand would have to somehow make it past the multiple mechanical filters and then somehow be levitated by the column of steam in the distiller. Once it did that it would have go though the passage ways in the dispenser without causing problems in the dispenser system.
I don’t think you’ve ever been to Mexico or at least you never seen how they make Tecate.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
This makes sense. Maybe certain days during production there was more sand in the coolant than other days that’s why it’s not a 100% problem.
It could be well water they have monsoon seasons and flooding but yeah its a desert. Water is a commodity in Mexico they have two plants one north and one south the south plant is the most recent and handles most of the 3.6 engines.

It took two years to complete a desal plant in Ensenada and it uses the same infrastructure to distribute the water for the local municipalities but is also unique because it uses geothermal energy from local hot springs.

You realize why Mexico as a country is hesitant to progress and has such great potential because of under development ,
projects for infrastructure take time and if something breaks or needs repair it takes months instead of weeks or years instead of months . the plant was funded by a Texas bank and that is where the progress comes from “El Norte”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erikk

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
you have some big chunks. no way those went through the water pump. or the tstat. if its coolant could one put some in a pan and boil it to see if it does the same in the pan?
The zoom of the picture makes them seem pretty large but the biggest ones are probably 1/8”. I put some vinegar in and it didn’t seem to do anything to them, they don’t melt and a magnet has no attraction so they don’t seem to be calcium, plastic or anything with metal in them. They are brown when wet and dry off white.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I don’t think you’ve ever been to Mexico or at least you never seen how they make Tecate.
Actually, I have spent a significant amount of time working in Mexico and toured the Corona factory on several occasions. Silly racist tropes really don't add anything to the discussion and reflect poorly on ones ability add anything of value to the discussion.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Actually, I have spent a significant amount of time working in Mexico and toured the Corona factory on several occasions. Silly racist tropes really don't add anything to the discussion and reflect poorly on ones ability add anything of value to the discussion.
you don't like Tecate ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The factory has a water distilling system to produce distilled water which is then mixed with the coolant concentrate from a gun much like a soda fountain.

The coolant is mixed using precision flow meters, probably similar to the ones used in the factory that makes Tecate.
As for filling the cooling system, it happens in about 90 seconds. They vacuum the coolant system down, leak check, then pressure fill the coolant, leak check again before the excess fluid is sucked back and the arm disconnects.
There's no way any particulates are coming from the coolant going into the truck, the coolant filling machines wouldn't tolerate it.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The coolant is mixed using precision flow meters, probably similar to the ones used in the factory that makes Tecate.
As for filling the cooling system, it happens in about 90 seconds. They vacuum the coolant system down, leak check, then pressure fill the coolant, leak check again before the excess fluid is sucked back and the arm disconnects.
There's no way any particulates are coming from the coolant going into the truck, the coolant filling machines wouldn't tolerate it.
So they don't fill them with dirty tap water from a garden hose. ;-)

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was getting too many mystery flakes with mine so I took it off a couple hours ago. It definitely works but my system is way too contaminated for it. I’m wondering now if maybe it’s cooked coolant from the egr cooler that is breaking free from the walls. It’s like a bunch of well defined flakes. It turns to powder if you rub it.
That does not look look any casting sand I have ever seen. Casting sand is usually fine grained and very regular shaped. The process for creating it ensures these properties so objects cast with it have a relatively smooth regular surface.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Generally relevant information, thanks.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It could be the sand found is used as an abrasive in cleaning new parts from the foundry. Obviously many steps are necessary in processing and assembly, with that being said.
I have no problem speculating why corporations set up manufacturing plants in impoverished countries that are lax in environmental concerns, occupational safety, for low wage employees. I also speculate the employees actively seek to be more efficient and find alternative methods to save time.

OP
OP
Erikk

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m of the conclusion now after lots of reading and re-examining the material that came out that I have had tap water used on one of my refills even though I was assured they used the provided distilled water. I appreciate everyone contributing thoughts and ideas on this issue throughout the thread. I’ll proceed now to trying to figure out how to remove it from the cooling system.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Not sure what that has to do with a heater core clogging up?

I have no idea if the coolant bypass is needed in 2016 6.7 diesels is that what you mean ?
Because a lot of people don’t know a coolant bypass is not needed in 2016 5.7 but that it was a change over year.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have no idea if the coolant bypass is needed in 2016 6.7 diesels is that what you mean ?
Because a lot of people don’t know a coolant bypass is not needed in 2016 5.7 but that it was a change over year.

This thread is about the heater core getting clogged (which happens with all ram trucks) and the possibility of adding a filter to that line. Has nothing to do with a coolant bypass.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
This thread is about the heater core getting clogged (which happens with all ram trucks) and the possibility of adding a filter to that line. Has nothing to do with a coolant bypass.

EDIT:
I’m sorry I need to realize some members may have special needs.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
….I’ll proceed now to trying to figure out how to remove it from the cooling system…
if you don’t have a coolant bypass it may be a good time to install one … for one it would help with flushing the system

OP
OP
Erikk

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
if you don’t have a coolant bypass it may be a good time to install one … for one it would help with flushing the system
I thought about this and have been researching it but I’m not sure where to put it (the filter base and filter) since nobody has done it on a 6.4 Hemi. I’ve reached out on this forum and one on Facebook but haven’t gotten any info.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I thought about this and have been researching it but I’m not sure where to put it (the filter base and filter) since nobody has done it on a 6.4 Hemi. I’ve reached out on this forum and one on Facebook but haven’t gotten any info.
Can you clarify something I thought you were dealing with the vehicle in your signature and profile.

Edit
For some reason my reference changed from the title of your thread to your profile info.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
A coolant filter is going to slow the cooling system flow rate and a bypass cooling line would be a good idea to prevent hot spots or cavitation of you engine block , for example if and when the filter becomes clogged.

What the JEEP community suggest is to replace those major components of the cooling system the radiator and the heater core.

A pressurized flush of the cooling system after the inital draining would probably be sufficient in removing the sand.
I would also change the water pump and thermostat, Remove and inspect the water temp sensor.