!!!!! Cluster help !!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmast27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn and i really would like to put the Long Horn cluster in my truck but it is not a plug and play. If anyone has any info on how I can go about installing it or if it is even possible PLEASE help me out. I am also wanting to upgrade my radio to a touch screen with navigation and would like some input on some products that are fairly priced or if anyone knows of one for sale at a reasonable price. thanks for the help

Attachments

• lifted.jpg
    lifted.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 113

RockyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can't help you out with the cluster hookup, but I can give a tip on affordable touch-screen nav head units -

Any of the Pioneer head units that support their "AppRadio Live" phone app will use the voice recognition, GPS, and other features of your (supported) phone, using the screen of the head unit for display and control. It keep the cost down because you don't need to buy the external nav add-on unit for the stereo if you already have a iPhone, Android or maybe some other supported phone and you don't have to pay up to a higher head unit model to get voice recognition.

I scored one on eBay (NIB, Pioneer dealer) for under $400 and added the Mopar rear steering wheel control kit for another $130. For the $530 I paid it was a MASSIVE upgrade in media and nav features of my truck. Worth noting that it does not display the arrows for upcoming turns on the instrument gauge cluster (like a factory unit can) but only on the head unit/stereo.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is the Long Horn cluster from one of the 2013+ trucks? If so we haven't heard of anyone being able to do the swap.
I can't help you out with the cluster hookup, but I can give a tip on affordable touch-screen nav head units -

Any of the Pioneer head units that support their "AppRadio Live" phone app will use the voice recognition, GPS, and other features of your (supported) phone, using the screen of the head unit for display and control. It keep the cost down because you don't need to buy the external nav add-on unit for the stereo if you already have a iPhone, Android or maybe some other supported phone and you don't have to pay up to a higher head unit model to get voice recognition.

I scored one on eBay (NIB, Pioneer dealer) for under $400 and added the Mopar rear steering wheel control kit for another $130. For the $530 I paid it was a MASSIVE upgrade in media and nav features of my truck. Worth noting that it does not display the arrows for upcoming turns on the instrument gauge cluster (like a factory unit can) but only on the head unit/stereo.
His 2012 didn't put the arrows in the cluster anyway.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is the Long Horn cluster from one of the 2013+ trucks? If so we haven't heard of anyone being able to do the swap.
His 2012 didn't put the arrows in the cluster anyway.

It's my understanding that if it is only one plug it is 2013+. 2 plugs is for the 2012. I was looking into this for my fiance's father. The older premium clusters look very similar to the new ones, they just have a smaller center screen.

As for radios. You can buy OEM upgrade radio kits from http://oemautopartsco.com/ . Do a Google search for RBZ radio upgrade.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read on other posts in forums that it is possible to upgrade your cluster to a premium cluster from the year Truck YOU have you obviously could not use one of the 2013 - 2015 clusters as they have completely different plugs and different software but I have read on these posts that you can upgrade to a 2012 Longhorn cluster but you have to take your truck in and get it flashed by the dealer in order for it to function. I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of this I'm just going by what I read while I was doing research to upgrade my own truck which is a different year than yours. Make sure you do all your research before you spring for a new cluster. If you search enough you will find the threads on it also maybe contact a knowledgeable dealer and ask them if they can flash it to work on your truck some dealers have no idea what you can do to make sure they know what they're talking about.

OP
OP
J

jmast27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks for all the help guys. i have searched up and down and have found no clear answer about upgrading and if so it cost an arm and a leg

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn and i really would like to put the Long Horn cluster in my truck but it is not a plug and play. If anyone has any info on how I can go about installing it or if it is even possible PLEASE help me out. I am also wanting to upgrade my radio to a touch screen with navigation and would like some input on some products that are fairly priced or if anyone knows of one for sale at a reasonable price. thanks for the help

Yes this is possible. I swapped 2012 cluster for 2012 premium cluster. Plug & play, 3 plug slot but u only use 2

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes this is possible. I swapped 2012 cluster for 2012 premium cluster. Plug & play, 3 plug slot but u only use 2

You've done this? And by getting the truck flashed why does this need to be done? It's like a anti theft radio? Or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk