Cold air intake kits - yes or no

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just curious what you guys think of running a cold air intake on the 5.7L hemi? New to the forum, and I’ve been on the fence since I bought my ‘17 Ram 1500 Laramie C/C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious what you guys think of running a cold air intake on the 5.7L hemi? New to the forum, and I’ve been on the fence since I bought my ‘17 Ram 1500 Laramie C/C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I like my S&B cai, it look cool, but that's pretty much it.

If you want to do a mod that you can actually feel, try the pedal commander.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given that modern vehicles pull intake air from outside the engine bay most "cold" air intakes are rather questionable. Even if the air at the airfilter is 5 degrees cooler, by the time it arrives in the cylinder the difference is negligible. And if the aftermarket design uses metal pipes there might be even more heat transferred to the intake air.
Plus they often have inferior filter properties ("less restrictive" is the marketing term) and don't do well with deep water crossings.
Can you tell I'm not a fan ... ? :p

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Only you can decide for yourself if it is worth it. I was always a naysayer myself until I finally bit the bullet after S&B came out with the new redesign. I though, worst case, I could resell it and not loose a whole lot. After getting it, I am very happy with my purchase and would buy again. It's not loud and does change the throttle response in a good way. Ask 50 people and get 50 answers. Only you can decide for sure!

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only you can decide for yourself if it is worth it. I was always a naysayer myself until I finally bit the bullet after S&B came out with the new redesign. I though, worst case, I could resell it and not loose a whole lot. After getting it, I am very happy with my purchase and would buy again. It's not loud and does change the throttle response in a good way. Ask 50 people and get 50 answers. Only you can decide for sure!

^^^What ncgrl1 said^^^

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Best answer given

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My understanding is it's not as much cold air as it is volume. They provide more surface area and less restrictive " plumbing" . there have been dyno measurements showing a 15 hp increase before & after.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory intake is a cai. I bought the s&b intake because it has better air flow. I noticed a greater throttle response as well as the tone of my truck changed a little. If you don’t plan on doing massive engine work the cai is not a requirement but they are really cool looking as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
The factory intake is a cai. I bought the s&b intake because it has better air flow. I noticed a greater throttle response as well as the tone of my truck changed a little. If you don’t plan on doing massive engine work the cai is not a requirement but they are really cool looking as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxQYGBa9b3o

$ better spent on a tuner

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the k&n 63561 on my truck, little bit better throttle response, looks and sounds cool. I got it on sale for $225 so it was worth it for that price, but if I did it again is get the most one or leave it stock

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a K&N 63 series. I enjoy the sound of it and it slightly changed my exhaust sound. At the very top end i.e. 4500 RPM and higher, it doesn't feel like my engine is running out of breath anymore. So, it doesn't really effect anything under normal driving conditions, I just like the look and sound of it.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
S&B with the snorkel and a filter sock is what I run...best one out there except for the Varam which is a whole different best.

A4521A92-5F88-446A-B882-78E7006E8A7B.jpg