Cold Weather Engine Note

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sleuth Engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all!

Been trying to find an answer to this one but haven't found anything. I've got a 2012 5.7 Hemi that I purchased 6 months ago with about 125k. I've noticed that the engine sound will change depending on the weather. When it's warm it has a nice deep throaty 5.7L V8 sound that I would expect. When it gets cold out it sounds like an electric fan. Anyone know what's going on with that?

Follow up, it can take a week or more of warm weather before I get the V8 sound back. Anyone know how I can accelerate that? I hate when my truck sounds like a swamp boat.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Sleuth Engineer

Sleuth Engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Does this bother anyone besides me? I love when I can hear the song of that 5.7L Hemi! Right now the engine is completely drowned out by this fan sound. Or maybe it could be described as a high pitched hum, or the sound an elephant might make if you pulled its tail.

I'm feeling very alone here lol

OP
OP
Sleuth Engineer

Sleuth Engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Basheadhemi! After some research on clutch fans, I think that's what I'm hearing.

Next question is, how do I fix it? The research continues...

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Thanks Basheadhemi! After some research on clutch fans, I think that's what I'm hearing.

Next question is, how do I fix it? The research continues...
Many of us delete the clutch fan entirely and just run an electric. You already have an electric condenser fan in place, but do you tow with your truck?

If so there is a replacement fan that is a direct bolt in from the V6s. It flows more than the stock condenser fan. Deleting the clutch fan also frees up a little drag on the motor.....not much but a little.

2013 and newer guys can just use the stock condenser and call it a day.