Consensus on the rotary shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
&^%$#&* ......

So how is the rotary shifter holding up on these trucks? Are you seeing any problems with them as far as use and functionality?
---------------

Mine is in the shop for this shifter! Seems on cold mornings, in the 20's, I cannot get it to shift into gear, till the truck has been at operating temp for about 10+ minutes:flame:

1st 2 warranty claims were for the transmission leaking fluid!
3rd claim was for the engine shutting down on the road: flashed the PCM
4th/5th claim cannot shift into gear
Truck is currently in the shop

Last edited:

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I have a little over 4K on my truck and I love it! I love the way it looks, it gives a little bit of a luxury feel to the truck. I haven't turned up the volume but I have accidentally cranked up the heater fan a couple times! :happy175:

Hey while we're on the subject and I have all you guys with 8 speeds and rotary shifters... Does anyone have any issues with their "ECO" light not coming on or not being able to turn it on through the Uconnect settings?

Mine has never come on. There's no option to turn it on through my 8.4AN settings. My dealer's mechanic says it's not an option with the 8 speed tranny.

Another member and I think that maybe it has to do with the latest firmware update (13.38.52)

I'm just trying to get a clear cut answer here...

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
*********! I have the A8 and mine's on almost constantly! I'm not running the latest update though.

I turned it on in the 8.4A

I too love my rotary shifter. It's quick and easy and gives me a TON of room!

The benefit of it over buttons is you don't have to look to see where it is. You reach and twist.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I ran into a 1st sgt here on base who had a 2014 ram rental. I made a comment about "nice truck" . I had my ram parked next to hers. She said she hated it, and showed it to me. Looked dumb, i know i wouldn't want it in my truck.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I ran into a 1st sgt here on base who had a 2014 ram rental. I made a comment about "nice truck" . I had my ram parked next to hers. She said she hated it, and showed it to me. Looked dumb, i know i wouldn't want it in my truck.

No doubt it takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's second nature. I like that RAM made it a solid aluminum knob on the higher end trucks. It feels great.

It looks as dumb as the rotary control for 4wd. I'm not sure how that's "dumb". The fact is that the transmission it's "connected" to is awesome. LOVE MINE!

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I've become used to it in just over two weeks. It definitely is smoother feeling than the shifter on my older truck. Felt kind of odd to shift into gear when I drove my wife's Jeep this past week. Funny thing is - we use my wife's Jeep for most of our family travel for the past couple of years. Since I got the new truck, we are spending a lot more time NOT using the Jeep.

All the best,
Glenn

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
After reverse I often put it in park instead of drive if I happen to be going left. I'd still prefer a column shift. The knob is convenient when plowing snow though. I too have mistakenly cranked up the volumes or the blower instead of going to D.

The push-button 4wd, on the other hand, I hate that. I prefer a rotary knob.

Gill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reverse I often put it in park instead of drive if I happen to be going left.

I find this happens to me frequently. Then I step on the gas and I realize I just put it in park instead of drive...DOH!
I have no complaints with the rotary shifter though, I like how it opens up the column and center console.

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
*********! I have the A8 and mine's on almost constantly! I'm not running the latest update though.

I turned it on in the 8.4A

I too love my rotary shifter. It's quick and easy and gives me a TON of room!

The benefit of it over buttons is you don't have to look to see where it is. You reach and twist.

Do you have the 8.4a or 8.4an with navigation?

mgrin3006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've got about 5k on my 2016 1500 and I really hate the rotary shift knob. On more then one occasion I have either grabbed the shifter to turn down the blower motor or grabbed the blower control to shift. I would call this a hazard and should be recalled and changed.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently put it into drive after pumping gas and drove the few feet to the store exit, stopped and it wouldn't move from there. It was like it was in neutral. The light was blinking so I put it into park, shut it off and turned it on again and all was fine. Truck has approximately 15,300 miles on it and it was the first and only time that has happened. Other than that and occasionally reaching for the radio volume knob by accident I kind of like it.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
36000 miles and no issues other then the volume shift :)

Took a while to get acquainted. You spend your life driving with column or center console shifters, its a new habit to form.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im used to it.it's ok. I had to shift in my yukon by the steering wheel, so it was never in the way.I'll pick that over a rotary shifter any day.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It does it's job, which is shifting between PRND. As long as it continues to do that, I like it, lol. No problems so far in 7700 miles. The first couple of weeks it takes getting used to, but now it's natural.

I like that it frees up space in the center console for more storage. And at least for me, the knob is so far to the left on the center stack that I've never reached for it as the radio volume or blower motor.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
35,000 miles. I like the rotary. 4th truck. All previous column shifters. Rotary is better. Looks cool too.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first two weeks, I grabbed the empty space at the steering wheel. Later especially when I wanted to back up. Now I'm ok with it.
I like it now.

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab, 8 speed
Engine
5.7 ltr Hemi - 8 Speed; T1000 Diabolo - Custom Hemi Tune
took me a while to get used to it coming from an '11 with console shifter and was sceptic but now I love it. No problems with mistaking it for another knob.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife has one in her 14 Durango so I got used to it there. The Ram has a few more knobs on the dash, so I do turn those once in a while instead of the shifter. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. The extra console room is nice. I used it to mount the external speaker and mike for my Ham radio.