Console removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drwet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2013 Ram 1500. I need to remove the dash to get at the heater box. Watched all the YouTube videos on getting the dash out, but none of them are on a truck with a center console, and I'm pretty sure the console will have to come out to make room to get the dash out. Can anyone tell me in less than 500 words how to get the center console out?

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your best bet is to try to Google it for your truck. There are YouTube videos out there.
I have a 2018 so it’s likely different.
On mine there are bolts under covers on the lower front console on both sides. There are bolts one the lower back of both sides of the back. You have to move both seats all the way forward to see them.
Then pull off the rubber covers on the top of the console and look for any fasteners. Mine were under those. You’ll have to disconnect any wires under the console and it should lift out. Your 2013 will likely be slightly different.
I think that’s under 500 words.

OP
OP
D

drwet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I am guessing there are six bolts. Three on each side that I can find. I was hoping someone could confirm that for me before I actually tackle it. I have scoured the internet and apparently this is the only procedure on the planet that no one has posted a video about. If I am wrong and someone is aware of one please post a link.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
open the arm rest & the cover to the 2nd storage area.
remove the top of the console, by taking the rubber pads out of the depressed areas.
Leave the cup holders intact, there are at least 2 or 3 screws under the rubber pads.
One of them is a Copper screw, remember where it goes.
2 screws are where my CB radio is now located

1700183425908.png
where you see the 3 short pieces of tape, is where the screws are.
Where the longer pieces of tape are, is where you grab the plastic & jerk up & a bit to the rear of the seat.
1700184031343.png
this is what it looks like under the console cover
there is one wire, it goes to the cigarette lighter & it is short
The clips that you see along the 2 sides, are what mainly hold the cover down

1700184283499.png
this is the underside of the lid, the BLUE thing is the cigarette lighter
1700184705310.png

Now, you can take the radio surround off
There are 3 screws holding it in place, 2 under the pad on top of the dash & a 3rd screw is hidden near the 115 V AC outlet
The rest you can find on YouTube
& by asking.

I used more words than you would like :jester:

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2013 Ram 1500. I need to remove the dash to get at the heater box. Watched all the YouTube videos on getting the dash out, but none of them are on a truck with a center console, and I'm pretty sure the console will have to come out to make room to get the dash out. Can anyone tell me in less than 500 words how to get the center console out?
I found this on YOUTUBE hope it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YX7DKdkFQ

OP
OP
D

drwet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you all.

GTyankee, many thanks, that should be everything I need.
DILLIGAF, thanks for the link. I'm not where I can download the manual, but if I can get that, it's huge.
Jim BB, thanks for the link, but I've already seen it and there's really nothing useful in it.

OP
OP
D

drwet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always like to write a follow up to my posts because I know someone in the future is going to go searching for the information I was looking for, so here goes:
The console in my truck has the shifter, so it is a little different from what was posted here. There are six fasteners that hold the console in position. Four bolts - one in each corner that insert horizontally. IIRC they have 13mm heads. You have to move the seat forward to access the two at the rear so remember to do this before you disconnect the battery if you have power seats. The two in the front are revealed by removing the plastic trim panels at either side of the front of the console - they basically snap into place, although be careful, there are a couple of hooks at the back that will break off if you get too aggressive with them. The other two fasteners are #2 Phillips head screws that attach the console to the dash. You also need to disconnect the shifter cable. The shifter is attached to the console with three bolts. Remove the two trim panels from around the shifter area to gain access to the bolts. Look down in the space around the shifter assembly and you will see the three bolts. Remove these. This will allow you to raise the shifter assembly enough to disconnect the cable. The cable has a fitting on the end with a hole in it that snaps over a lug on the end of the shifter arm. Carefully pop this off. The shifter cable housing has a plastic attachment that snaps into a slot toward the front of the shifter assembly. The tab that releases the fitting from the slot is on the bottom. (Of course. Who designs this stuff?) Use a mirror to look at the underside of the attachment. How to release it is fairly obvious and it comes apart pretty easily once you figure it out. Disconnect the wiring harness from the shifter assembly and remove it. There are (at least) two other electrical connectors to be disconnected. At his point you should be able to slide the console toward the rear of the truck a couple of inches to disengage the HVAC duct, and remove the console from the truck.
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited: