Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sixpnt4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
So I'm under the truck replacing the pitman arm and doing a trans filter and fluid change and I notice that I'm leaking coolant from somewhere that I can't see. It's dripping down the back of the oil pan (side opposite of the drain plug) and I'd say I'm losing about a quarter of a quart every couple days. My first thought was a freeze plug but the one that's behind the starter appears to be dry (although it is rusty looking) it's not coming from the flywheel area tho, it is definitely toward the engine side. Thanks in advance for any help.

1500 quad cab, 5.2L, 46re trans

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Might be the freeze plugs in the back of the block. Better hope not as the motor has to come out to change them ones.

OP
OP
S

Sixpnt4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Excellent...

If it were the plugs in the back of the block, wouldn't it be dripping down the flywheel backing plate too?

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Might be the freeze plugs in the back of the block. Better hope not as the motor has to come out to change them ones.
Them ones is a pita too. Had to help a buddy of mine change his on an 02 with the 360

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Actually, a buddy of mine as a sport model with the same issue. It's not one in the back though. Hi dumba JB welded it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sixpnt4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well at this point with 215k miles on it, I'm almost considering a rebuild on it. Just to make sure it's stout enough to last me another few years. Trans seems to be shifting well (when I have the fluid level right)