Cooling Fan Connection Loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandroid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cooling fan and water pump pulley connection are wobbly. Also, smells fishy like coolant leaking. Does that mean the water pump needs replacement? 2015 Ram 1500. Thanks!

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cooling fan and water pump pulley connection are wobbly. Also, smells fishy like coolant leaking. Does that mean the water pump needs replacement? 2015 Ram 1500. Thanks!
Indeed it does. Is most likely broke and leaking there at the center. Is why it’s lose, most likely the spindle bearing done. Swap the fan clutch while your at it(cooling fan) Don't go cheap or you may find your swapping again in a year. https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-water-pump-68346912ab

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brandroid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just found out, I'm in the same boat. My water pump went out yesterday. Looking at replacements and reading a lot last night, it looks like Gates branded stuff is supposed to be pretty good. Is there a reason not to use them? It's a considerable price difference from Mopar and all of the other brands.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do a V6 fan swap / Clutch Fan delete while you're in there. ;)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just found out, I'm in the same boat. My water pump went out yesterday. Looking at replacements and reading a lot last night, it looks like Gates branded stuff is supposed to be pretty good. Is there a reason not to use them? It's a considerable price difference from Mopar and all of the other brands.
Gates is garbage.... go with OE

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just read some stuff about the non-OEM fans having some vibration issues. It was midnight when I saw the thread about it, but it may have been an old thread, I can't remember. If there are other versions that will work, I'm all for it. $100 or less and I could do that.

Does it effect towing at all?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why are you buying $400 when you can get the Dorman equivalent for $100?
The Dorman and TYC fans don't have a great rep. Check out the Ram facebook pages,you'll find several guys who've had issues with both fans. Is it worth cooking a motor because you cheaped out on the fan.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped in the dorman fan. Ran the Dorman motor for about 2 years then swapped in the motor from the stock ac fan when I did some rewiring. There’s a reason the stock stuff is more expensive.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
The Dorman and TYC fans don't have a great rep. Check out the Ram facebook pages,you'll find several guys who've had issues with both fans. Is it worth cooking a motor because you cheaped out on the fan.

Fancy.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone with a Mopar efan had one die? I can't say I've seen anyone talk about that on here or any of the FB groups....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has anyone with a Mopar efan had one die? I can't say I've seen anyone talk about that on here or any of the FB groups....
Only ones i've heard of giving issues are the TYC and Dorman fans. You can do like CrazyKid did,and adapt the factory motor into them though,but that won't fix the aftermarket cheap V6 fans if they have the vibrating blade. The stock e-fan isn't bad. For the majority of guys,it's perfectly adequate to use if you do the clutch fan delete,plus it's already on the trucks and doesn't cost you squat, ;)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only ones i've heard of giving issues are the TYC and Dorman fans. You can do like CrazyKid did,and adapt the factory motor into them though,but that won't fix the aftermarket cheap V6 fans if they have the vibrating blade. The stock e-fan isn't bad. For the majority of guys,it's perfectly adequate to use if you do the clutch fan delete,plus it's already on the trucks and doesn't cost you squat, ;)
The Dorman fans are a lot better about blade quality over the tyc. My blades are pretty balanced thankfully. The factory motor and the dorman motor have the exact same bolt pattern and size so they are a direct swap

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've never had any over heating issues using the factory e-fan,and i've been known to play with some quick cars on mountain roads where the truck is running between 4,000 to 6,500 rpm in 3rd/4th and 5th gears with my foot buried through the floor and outdoor temps in the 95F range.It was after one play date several years ago where my oil temps were approaching 230F,that i started down the road of remote mounting the oil filter though,to combat higher then i liked oil temps.After finally sucking it up and going to dual remote filters,i've never had my oil temps exceed 205F,for the majority of use they stay in the 195F range now. Playing in the hills is where i love the paddle shifters on my 8 speed,lol.
Also a pic or 2 of the hose holder i built to hold the upper rad hose when i removed the rad shroud,as the stock e-fan doesn't have the bracket to keep the hose in the proper place

Attachments

• DSCN3839.JPG
    DSCN3839.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3838.JPG
    DSCN3838.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3827.JPG
    DSCN3827.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN3830.JPG
    DSCN3830.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN4006.JPG
    DSCN4006.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right that's my plan if and when my V6 efan craps out, swap over the motor from the factory AC fan.

But even the AC fan I haven't heard of failing? The fan clutch yes but not the AC fan motor...

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coming back to follow up, I ended leaving all of my stuff stock for now. I swapped out the water pump and used a 180 thermostat for now. I'm keeping this on the back of my mind, though. Thinking about getting a reader of some sort to adjust my fan kick-on points to a lower level.