Cost of NAV activation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duke1942

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today while at my RAM dealer for another problem, I asked what it would cost to get NAV activated on my RAM 1500. They quoted $795.00, for Chip and activation.

Is that the going rate for everyone? Or am I being ripped off?

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I have a 4.3 screen Garmin that I put in the window and I get free lifetime updates, work for me.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today while at my RAM dealer for another problem, I asked what it would cost to get NAV activated on my RAM 1500. They quoted $795.00, for Chip and activation.

Is that the going rate for everyone? Or am I being ripped off?

I think that is a ridiculous amount of money for GPS. It might be the current rate, but it sounds crazy. I have the 5.0 radio so I just use my cell phone. I'm going to get a mount soon ( http://www.bayougoatmounts.com/)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd go with TomTom or Garmin.for 1/7th the cost. I've never been a fan of radio integrated GPS anyway. Maps get out of date and cost a lot more on to update on Factory units.

Plus I prefer to have my radio displaying the music info rather than a map if I'm using GPS

Ray

OP
OP
D

Duke1942

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one of the latest 5 inch Garmin GPS w/lifetime maps. Works well. Just considering the NAV activation if not too expensive.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory Nav is nice, but just isn't worth it. You could buy a new Garmin for less than you'd pay for each dealer update ($200).

OP
OP
D

Duke1942

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also asked the dealer if there would be any future cost for updates,ect..he said no. one time charge of 795.00.

Nce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the factory nav in my 2013. I have to say that it is one of the best systems I've had in a vehicle. It's intuitive to use and the traffic avoidance is great. I got my 1500 cc sport 4x4 fairly well loaded. It had a sticker price of over $51k but was heavily discounted as the 14's were showing up. Had I not got such a deal I probably would've foregone a couple of bells and whistles. I probably wouldn't pay the dealer $795.00 to add it.

You can have the head unit display the radio or music info and map at the same time on the 8.4AN unit which is a cool feature.

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
Save some money ...

............. get a Garmin 2597, will come with free lifetime map updates!

Simple to use, rugged and Garmin cannot be beat! Have one in my truck and a Garmin handheld I use for Geocaching, love-em :33:

Rockgt302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$795 is a lot, my sport has the factory nav and it's a $500 option. According to the window sticker all 8.4A come nav ready. So I could see $500 not $795. The factory nav uses garmin.

OP
OP
D

Duke1942

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wilee51..I have the Garmin 2597 now that was purchased on June 11 2013. It is no way as accurate as an earlier model Garmin I purchased 5 years ago. Many minor roads that displayed on my old one, this new one doesn't show. My local Walmart is on US hwy 51. When I'm on 51 going to Walmart, about one mile away, it directs me to make a right turn at Georgia Ave, go one block, then make a left..which leads to a back road that doesn't go to Walmart. It should direct me to Stay on hwy 51.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
While GPS is nice to have... why cant we go back to the days of actually knowing the roads we drive on.. and not needing it to go to the local walmart... hmm.... I fear for our kids and what they will not need to know..

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dealer quoted me at $599 for factory nav.... my phone works just fine!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
I was told it was $500 when I bought my truck but I got them to throw it in for free as part of the negotiation. If they wouldn't I would have just bought a Garmin as the cost is ridiculous.

OP
OP
D

Duke1942

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't need it to go to my local Walmart. That was just an example of routing error on my unit.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Yes I believe you you are correct about the 13's.

I just could not bring myself to pay $150.0 for NAV updates so I traded my 12 2500 for a 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee. :Good or Bad::hands:

The U connect Is ******** too, Lets see $20.00 a month for the Unconnect Crap,$35.00 per month for the wirless hotspot plus $15.00 per month for Sirrus Xm.

Of course they give you 1 yr free trial for uconnect and sirrus.

I for one do not need or want that crap, sirrus sucks!!

Drivers already have to many distractions in their vehicles and this just adds to them.

Drivers are doing everything except paying attention to driving,drinking eating,smoking,talking on their phones,putting on makeup and now the Uconnect adds voice texting,yelp,weather and other ********!

Of course if you buy the $300.00 lockpic you can defeat all the safety programming of the u nconnect so you can do all the stuff built into connect while driving adding more distractions instead of f*%#ing driving!!

They are compressing the audio of sirrius to the point it sounds like crap.

If you drive more than 6hrs the tapes they play repeat themselves and they play them several times per week,per month.

Sirrius started out not having commercials now they do!!

The U-connect as we all know has serious issues with its programming and function of controlling all that it does in your vehicle.

You are suppose to be able to purchase a stand alone OEM CD player the great engineers of the system can not even get this to work!!

I have been ripping my cd's to a thumb drive as wav files or MP3 this music sounds great compared to sirrius radio.

I also stream audio from pandora or rhapsody threw my cell phone this also sounds better than sirrius XM!!!

ONE OF THESE YEARS THEY MAY GET IT ALL TO WORK WITH OUT SO MANY PROBLEMS!!!

Sorry OP RANT OVER!!

PLEASE JUST GIVE ME BACK MY 8 TRACK!!! haha

Last edited:

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer quoted me 575. And said they would need my truck for 30 min. What warrants this cost. The truck already has all the gps features built into it. They just unlock them.