Cost of Supplies for 6.4 Hemi Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What are you guys paying for the oil + filter to do a change?

OW-40 synthetic, 7 quarts + filter.

I just bought another 6-pack of changes at the dealer for $450 (includes tire rotations as well).

At $75/change I'm wondering how much I'm paying to sit in the waiting room and have someone else do it?

I know this will inevitably digress into a debate about letting other people touch your truck and how the dealer techs are blithering idiots. I mainly just do it so I have zero hassles in the event of warranty problems (I have a lifetime Maxcare) and because it's a company write-off for me.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I do changes, the filter is $10.00, and 7 quarts of oil is $56.00. So, it looks like you did well as long as they are using the correct oil.

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just here for the numbers. I have yet to need a oil change. But getting close.

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
$92 for oil and filter, my labor, I could save 30 bucks if I would get my oil on Amazon

Bigseff23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure I'm going to get flamed six ways from Sunday because talking about oil on the internet is like talking about religion or politics. But I usually wait till Costco has Rotella on sale and buy a couple cases so it works out to about $45 bucks an oil change.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you can chat with the shop and actually see what oil they are using you may get a better idea of things, just a suggestion otherwise it's hard to compare.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Totally understand "taking advantage" of the lifetime warranty, I have it too. Just be careful I wouldn't put it past them to try and claim something isn't covered because of something else. Oh, it's not because of the oil it's because of X,Y,Z. Unlike the factory warranties I've been told and read many times that the Lifetime warranty is not subject to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act so I wouldn't be shocked if they don't want to cover something, they wont.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Totally understand "taking advantage" of the lifetime warranty, I have it too. Just be careful I wouldn't put it past them to try and claim something isn't covered because of something else. Oh, it's not because of the oil it's because of X,Y,Z. Unlike the factory warranties I've been told and read many times that the Lifetime warranty is not subject to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act so I wouldn't be shocked if they don't want to cover something, they wont.

Good points but this is why I have the dealer do it. Other than adding windshield washer fluid and topping off the oil (rarely) they are the only ones who have ever touched the truck. I have zero "mods" and would love to see them try to deny something (not that they wouldn't try, of course). I'll likely even pay them to swap out the plugs at 100K just because I don't want to give them anything to try to pin on me later.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What are you guys paying for the oil + filter to do a change?

OW-40 synthetic, 7 quarts + filter.

I just bought another 6-pack of changes at the dealer for $450 (includes tire rotations as well).

At $75/change I'm wondering how much I'm paying to sit in the waiting room and have someone else do it?

I know this will inevitably digress into a debate about letting other people touch your truck and how the dealer techs are blithering idiots. I mainly just do it so I have zero hassles in the event of warranty problems (I have a lifetime Maxcare) and because it's a company write-off for me.
I subscribed to the penzoil 6 pack case for every 6 months at $46.50/case on amazon. Of course, I had to start off with 2 cases (to get the 7th quart), then $10 filters. You got a good deal going on and I would gladly pay the $75 with rotation and wait around.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just called my dealer They are the cheapest by far on the PUP 0w40. I can get it slightly cheaper on Amazon subscription, but dealer is $8.10 per quart and I dont have to buy extra. And I can get it anytime I need it.

So with a filter, about $60 for factory spec change

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks everyone! That's about what I remembered before. The dealer wants something crazy like $125 for just a single oil change but if you buy a 6-pack it's a lot cheaper. I hesitated because @ 80K miles, the next 6 would put me up around 130K so who knows if I'll still own the truck. One cool thing is that the changes stay with the truck so if I sell, the new owner can use them at any Ram dealer. That would make for a nice selling point, I suppose.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram dealer, Lee Chrysler Jeep Ram has coupons for synthetic oil change and tire rotation, 39.95. I paid 42. 95 out the door for mine. This for the gas motors. Before I got rid of my Cummins, another local dealer offered an oil change for 89.95 with coupon. The time before that my local Goodyear dealer did my oil change 95.99 on my Cummins.

Last edited:

Tanman_2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats a decent deal. About what my wife pays for oil change and rotation on her impala at the dealer.

All gas engine oil changes are like $30 and they charge 85/hr but only charge 30min on the rotation.

If my ram dealer had that deal I'd take it. I'm going to check in on that.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I get PUP 0w40 from the dealership and pay between 8-10$ per quart. And around $10 for the cheep crap oil filter.
I just can't sit at the dealership for hours for an oil change.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just called my dealer They are the cheapest by far on the PUP 0w40. I can get it slightly cheaper on Amazon subscription, but dealer is $8.10 per quart and I dont have to buy extra. And I can get it anytime I need it.

So with a filter, about $60 for factory spec change

Wow that's awesome! I have not found it much cheaper than $9.99/quart. I am gonna have to call my local dealer to see if they have it that cheap.

Tanman_2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a Newb question. I have never heard of PUP oil and I haven't came up with the answer to the abreviation.

Otherwise I am not up to my first oil change yet on the Ram but have ran redline in our ford edge for 135k miles with 225 on the car currently. I have 0w40 royal purple and a wix xp in my 97 454 with a fresh rebuilt engine. So far from this forum I gathered that the royal purple filter is best on the the block and that 4 letter F word filter company does produce a higher end filter.

Anyway, still absorbing info.