Could use some guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport - Blue Streak
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I'm going to be "that guy".

I've been a forum user for a long time, and I know the rule about 'searching'.

However, I'm literally confused on what the hell to do.

I have a 2016 1500 Sport. I want this look.

46615d1426029616-lifted_4th_gen_pics_-_show_em_off-image.jpg

I read every post in the "show me your lift" thread. I picked out the best look for my truck.

Here's his list of items.
6" Zone Lift
5100 adjustable struts,@ 2.8
35x12.50r20

REMOVED BECAUSE I FOUND THE STICKY

What's the difference between a suspension lift and a body lift, and why is one better than the other?
(I have a basic understanding of what is technically different, but I don't know the benefits of each)

What do I need to do to get my truck lifted and level?

Any help or links to threads that say "Read me if you want to know what this means' would be great.

Rken1288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A body lift is a set of lift blocks, usually between 1.5 - 3", that literally "lift" the body above the frame. I have run 1.5" Body Lifts on jeeps before, but never on a truck. They are usually a great way to achieve some lift.

A suspension lift is what it sounds like.....new components that when added to the factory suspension "lift" the vehicle.

I'm new to the Ram game, but I think you could get the desired look you are after by adding the Bilsstein struts set at either 2.1" or 2.8" along with a body lift.

Personally I went with the Bils set at 2.1" with no body lift.

Keep in mind that larger tires are going to change the way your truck drives. Personally I wouldn't go to a 35" tire without a ring and pinion swap to a lower (numerically higher) set of gears.

I do a lot of highway miles and chose 275 70 R17's (basically 32" tires).

Good luck! I'm sure many more knowledgable members will respond as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rken1288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A body lift is a set of lift blocks, usually between 1.5 - 3", that literally "lift" the body above the frame. I have run 1.5" Body Lifts on jeeps before, but never on a truck. They are usually a great way to achieve some lift.

A suspension lift is what it sounds like.....new components that when added to the factory suspension "lift" the vehicle.

I'm new to the Ram game, but I think you could get the desired look you are after by adding the Bilsstein struts set at either 2.1" or 2.8" along with a body lift.

Personally I went with the Bils set at 2.1" with no body lift.

Keep in mind that larger tires are going to change the way your truck drives. Personally I wouldn't go to a 35" tire without a ring and pinion swap to a lower (numerically higher) set of gears.

I do a lot of highway miles and chose 275 70 R17's (basically 32" tires).

Good luck! I'm sure many more knowledgable members will respond as well

a0f26b12450b79e36e0d3577f6efb0ae.jpg

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport - Blue Streak
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a0f26b12450b79e36e0d3577f6efb0ae.jpg

Thank you for the info. I have heard much disagreement on the final drive gearing. I have 3.21, and it cannot be changed in the 2016 models (unless you replace the entire front end).

Many guys suggest what you said, larger tires you're going to need to change the gearing, and other guys say it won't make a huge difference.

It's obviously going to affect my acceleration though.

PS - Sweet truck. Do you get the claimed 29mpg out of that eco?

Rken1288

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for the info. I have heard much disagreement on the final drive gearing. I have 3.21, and it cannot be changed in the 2016 models (unless you replace the entire front end).

Many guys suggest what you said, larger tires you're going to need to change the gearing, and other guys say it won't make a huge difference.

It's obviously going to affect my acceleration though.

PS - Sweet truck. Do you get the claimed 29mpg out of that eco?

I did get about 29 mpg before the tires/lift/bumper....now I'm at 26ish with the same driving style. I'm planning a GDE tune in the near future to get back to where I was. Good luck with your truck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca