Crutchfield Double Din Kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moops

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got off a chat with a Crutchfield advisor. I have been trying to find a head unit to replace the aftermarket one that was in my truck when I bought it a few months ago.

I've combed over the single din HUs on Crutchfield's website. Resigned myself to going with Single because I didn't want the extra hassle and $$ of trying to do the conversion. Today when I went back, it was showing that all of the DD units would fit my truck. Got on chat with an advisor, and the transcript is below. Not sure if anyone has heard of this, and he couldn't provide a lot of info. Twenty dollars seems a bit cheap, but something to keep an eye on in the next few weeks. I'll post any updates I find out here.

Chat with a Product Expert

6/10/2014 2:42:08 p.m.Welcome to Crutchfield Chat.
2:42:18 p.m.Duke has joined the conversation.

Duke
2:42:20 p.m.Welcome to Crutchfield Online Chat. I'm Duke. How may I help with your product selections and purchases?

Moops
2:42:32 p.m.Hi,
2:42:48 p.m.I have a question about what head unit will fit my vehicle.2:43:05 p.m.I have a 2004 Dodge Ram quad Cab with the Infinity system2:43:33 p.m.AFAIK, it doesn't have the "Uconnect" stuff, but there was an aftermarket Single DIN unit intstalled when i bought the truck
2:44:10 p.m.I have been shopping for a replacement for a while now, and was under the impression that a Double Din unit would not fit without some fairly extensive cutting,
2:44:32 p.m.involving altering the trucks bezel and cutting some stuff behind it to make the Double Din fitr.
2:44:38 p.m.*Fit
2:45:19 p.m.In fact, on the Crutchfield website when I first started shopping, it specifically would say that DD head unit's would not fit
2:45:34 p.m.But suddenly today, it is showing that they Will fit.
2:45:39 p.m.Just want to know what gives.

Duke
2:46:43 p.m.For the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, 7 speakers (no U-Connect), I do show Double Din options with the dash it we carry.
2:46:56 p.m.I'll check to see if any others come up as not having this ability. 2:47:48 p.m.All variations of the 1500 Quad Cab show the Double Din option and no major change in dash depth either.
2:48:02 p.m.I think the change is the introduction of this dash kit.
2:48:06 p.m.We are due to get them on June 16.

Moops
2:48:06 p.m.Really?

Duke
2:48:18 p.m.As it's a recent introduction, it may not have filtered for it previously.

Moops
2:48:31 p.m.Oh! Does it include a new dash bezel?

Duke
2:48:49 p.m.I actually don't have much hands-on data since it is a new item but yes, it would be replacing the dash panel.

Moops
2:48:55 p.m.Videos I've seen on Youtube show that you have to drill out the plastic welds on the old bezel
2:49:05 p.m.How much does that cost?
2:49:31 p.m.And do you have a link to a product page?

Duke
2:50:05 p.m.The Dash Kit looks to be around $20.
2:50:25 p.m.I admit, the web page isn't fully developed for it yet so I don't have a link to share.

Moops
2:50:31 p.m.Wow! Sweet.

Duke
2:50:31 p.m.I only see it coming up in our internal systems.

Moops
2:51:05 p.m.Ok. But I do remember seeing videos that show people having to cut some of the dash to get their DD units to fit...

Duke
2:52:04 p.m.Right, with the dash cavity (internal hole) barely 4'', there seems to be some issues there. As I don't have more information on the dash kit package, I'm not sure what how it's going about holding the stereo and framing it in that factory opening.

Moops
2:53:32 p.m.Ok.
2:53:45 p.m.Y'all are getting them on June 16th then?
2:53:51 p.m.Any idea when there might be more info?

Duke
2:55:05 p.m.I hope by Monday, haha. But I'm assuming we're in the process of getting them into our database since the release is soon.
2:55:23 p.m.For your info, this will be the item number:
2:55:23 p.m.120956522
2:55:35 p.m.It won't pull up any items not but once the product page is built it should.

Moops
2:56:01 p.m.Awesome! I will be looking out for that over the next week or two then. Glad I held out on that Single Din!

Duke
2:56:48 p.m.It's one of the rare situations when the wait paid off, that's for sure.

Moops
2:58:12 p.m.Thanks for the help.

Duke
2:58:23 p.m.You're welcome. If you decide to place your order online, please include my name - DUKE - as your Product Advisor. I'll get notified of the order and credit plus get it ready to go as soon as we can.
2:58:24 p.m.Or let me know if you have more questions.
2:58:26 p.m.Thanks for chatting!
3:02:38 p.m.Duke has left the conversation

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just got off a chat with a Crutchfield advisor. I have been trying to find a head unit to replace the aftermarket one that was in my truck when I bought it a few months ago.

I've combed over the single din HUs on Crutchfield's website. Resigned myself to going with Single because I didn't want the extra hassle and $$ of trying to do the conversion. Today when I went back, it was showing that all of the DD units would fit my truck. Got on chat with an advisor, and the transcript is below. Not sure if anyone has heard of this, and he couldn't provide a lot of info. Twenty dollars seems a bit cheap, but something to keep an eye on in the next few weeks. I'll post any updates I find out here.

The kit he is referencing is used to mount the head unit into the factory mount. It will most likely be side plates and supports to mount the DD Head Unit into the dash. You will have to modify the opening in your dash or use the one for the Nav. Head Unit. I have been a customer of Crutchfield for many years and they are very good.