CTD Flaw: Heater Grid Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
If my memory recall is correct, this will trigger a DTC and DIC light. I've never tried this but read this on the Cummins forum.

The grid heater bolt is something that owners need to be aware of and periodically do the "jiggle test". As mentioned, this issue happens to a very low percentage of Cummins engines and in my opinion, doesn't warrant a Bank solution. But if it happens to you, you are out the cost of an engine replacement. The jiggle test is the simplest solution to detect a pending issue.

The jiggle test;

THAT was helpful. And to think some dude came on this thread demeaning me, calling me paranoid, etc. THAT was not helpful. I clicked ignore because who needs that?

But thanks for this video. In his video, towards the end, he spoke of a $20 Code Clearer that everyone should have. Do you have one? What does it do?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What actually happens with the bolt (on the rare occasion) is that the connection gets loose, begins arcing and eventually melts the nut/bolt to the point that it falls out.

OP you and I have been chatting a bit and you mentioned having the lifetime warranty. I can almost guarantee that any of the options you choose to delete the grid heater is going to void that warranty.

I kind of look at this modification as a snake oil sale. Because a tiny subsection of the community had a failure a few capitalized on that fear and produced components that would "remedy" a sickness that isn't really there. It acts as more of a placebo effect (and a rather expensive one). The only thing I'd personally consider IF I were concerned with it (which I'm not) is the wiggle test. It's free. I can spend that money on some other cool thing for the truck.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
THAT was helpful. And to think some dude came on this thread demeaning me, calling me paranoid, etc. THAT was not helpful. I clicked ignore because who needs that?

But thanks for this video. In his video, towards the end, he spoke of a $20 Code Clearer that everyone should have. Do you have one? What does it do?
The guy you're referring to is actually extremely helpful. I think what you might have seen is a bit of frustration. Admittedly some people are just constantly worrying about what "might" happen because of what you read on forums. I would venture to presume that what you actually are trying to do from our conversations is learn more about your truck and that's easy to come across as worrying over nothing.

That's not a bad thing... but sometimes that can come across as being concerned over things that aren't really pertinent and sometimes that can hit someone the wrong way. End of the day, keep learning. In the meantime, almost everyone here is a valuable resource... including that guy. :)

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
What actually happens with the bolt (on the rare occasion) is that the connection gets loose, begins arcing and eventually melts the nut/bolt to the point that it falls out.

OP you and I have been chatting a bit and you mentioned having the lifetime warranty. I can almost guarantee that any of the options you choose to delete the grid heater is going to void that warranty.

I kind of look at this modification as a snake oil sale. Because a tiny subsection of the community had a failure a few capitalized on that fear and produced components that would "remedy" a sickness that isn't really there. It acts as more of a placebo effect (and a rather expensive one). The only thing I'd personally consider IF I were concerned with it (which I'm not) is the wiggle test. It's free. I can spend that money on some other cool thing for the truck.

Yes, we finally got around to the sound advice I'd been hoping for! With the vid BossHogg provided, now I can locate that bolt and will every so often inspect it! Sure do appreciate it, sir!!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I can almost guarantee that any of the options you choose to delete the grid heater is going to void that warranty.
As a risk analyst for one of the industry's largest administrators of service contract programs (often referred to as extended warranties), I can attest that the contracts are not "voided", but a failure that can be attributed to a performance part will not be covered. In the case of these options, if you choose to delete, most failures will be excluded because of added power/stress to related components. The other two, not so much. I'd argue that it's an attempt to ward off a mechanical failure.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a real shame he blocked me Lol. I really am trying to help him though it seems he doesn't want to hear the truth....

Logic and truth are often avoided by those who aren't interested in the aforementioned.

Unless it comes dressed up with platitudes and garnished with 'feel nice' statements, it might be interpreted as a personal assault. :cool:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I see it from both sides. At first, most of the OPs posts seemed to be worrying about all of the potential problems that these trucks might have and it came across to me that he might be ignoring a lot of our advice as he would often continue posts that seemed like we were being ignored as a whole. Admittedly my kneejerk reaction was that this was irritating.

However, I spent a good deal of time talking one on one to the OP yesterday and I have a much better understanding of what he's trying to accomplish. He is simply trying to find information from all ends of the spectrum to gain knowledge on these trucks in an effort to be a responsible owner. Down the road if he sells this truck I think the new owner will absolutely get a well cared for truck. He's definitely putting in the leg work.

Let's face it.. a lot of people only come on forums to complain about diesel trucks and then run away. To someone who is uninitiated, that would make a lot of new diesel owners panic and think the sky is falling. Usually it's because they just don't understand how they work and it gets confusing when a simple question on a forum on when to change the oil turns into a debate over who makes the best motor oil. Sometimes you have to wade through a mile of sand to find the pearl.

Goose, I would consider unblocking mtnrider. When I had a problem with my heater core, it just so happened that mtnrider was going to be in my city that weekend and he immediately messaged me with an offer to bring me (a random forum stranger) his coolant flush gun so that I could get it unclogged. To me, that shows the level of support that he has for his fellow Ram owners and if we were giving out gold stars he would get one for sure. Everything he's said (to me) has been spot on as is the case with most of the forum folks. Actually in our conversations yesterday, I said the exact same thing that mtnrider said about ignoring the conspiracy theories and driving the truck. I just said it in a different way. :)

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I don't know about the OBDII tool he referred to, I know he runs a Banks iDash Data Monster that can clear codes among other diagnostics but it isn't 20 bucks. I have an iDash Data Monster in both of my trucks. Check out some of his other videos where he uses the iDash to look at the Cummins performance.

There seems to be a trend of people responding in posts that can have a snappiest to it, demeaning, snarky, condescending, overly opinionated, claims without support, etc. in many threads and on many forums. Many people in our country are angry and they have plenty to be angry about. Take a post in stride because I believe most of the time they do not mean to sound mean. Being confrontational just adds to the drama and causes even uglier posts, more false claims, and exaggerations, and no one learns anything.

No one should come to a forum like this one that is made up of RAM owners, past owners, and future owners, all with unique skill sets they can share, and be afraid to ask a question or answer a question. There are no dumb questions except the one that isn't asked. My Mom once told me if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
This is a non-issue. Give the power cable the ol jiggle test every now and then if you're worried about it.

Cummins uses that same grid heater in every school bus, tractor, garbage truck and portable trash pump that the 6.7 gets used on. The same part was used in many 5.9's as well. It CAN fail, but it is exceedingly rare.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I don't know about the OBDII tool he referred to, I know he runs a Banks iDash Data Monster that can clear codes among other diagnostics but it isn't 20 bucks. I have an iDash Data Monster in both of my trucks. Check out some of his other videos where he uses the iDash to look at the Cummins performance.

There seems to be a trend of people responding in posts that can have a snappiest to it, demeaning, snarky, condescending, overly opinionated, claims without support, etc. in many threads and on many forums. Many people in our country are angry and they have plenty to be angry about. Take a post in stride because I believe most of the time they do not mean to sound mean. Being confrontational just adds to the drama and causes even uglier posts, more false claims, and exaggerations, and no one learns anything.

No one should come to a forum like this one that is made up of RAM owners, past owners, and future owners, all with unique skill sets they can share, and be afraid to ask a question or answer a question. There are no dumb questions except the one that isn't asked. My Mom once told me if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

To show that I agree, I wanted to give a thumbs up, but there isn't one. I then looked for that two mugs toasting smiley that I'd used before, but it's no longer there. Seems the Forum is rigged for conflict.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To show that I agree, I wanted to give a thumbs up, but there isn't one. I then looked for that two mugs toasting smiley that I'd used before, but it's no longer there. Seems the Forum is rigged for conflict.

:waytogo: :favorites13:

thumbs up smiley.jpg

I believe that the majority of perceived emotional content in posts is quite often, just that, perceived.

Most of the members that I've witnessed, I suspect are here because they're obsessed with fixing trucks and helping out others.

From the information gatherer's side or point of view, sometimes that assistance might appear a wee bit jaded or short-tempered.

I saw this unfold almost daily at my former hangout, tenforums.com and I see a the same scenarios occurring here too.

People want to learn but might be missing the point on a specific topic. You're attempting to guide someone and you've seen this same situation with other users, it has happened a dozen times or more.

They might be here to learn yet they have some sort of blockage and refuse to listen to the same advice, coming over and over again from different members. It can get quite frustrating for both sides.

The great thing about a site like Ram Forum, similar to Ten Forums, is the knowledge base and experience of members is enormous and covers almost any element of our vehicles and other technical topics as well.

If anyone were providing defective or inaccurate information on any topic, trust me, someone else would raise a flag or correct the errors. :)

Goose, the above rant is not directed to you or anyone else in particular. This was just a convenient spot for me to blather about the above info. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
:waytogo: :favorites13:

View attachment 533013

I believe that the majority of perceived emotional content in posts is quite often, just that, perceived.

Most of the members that I've witnessed, I suspect are here because they're obsessed with fixing trucks and helping out others.

From the information gatherer's side or point of view, sometimes that assistance might appear a wee bit jaded or short-tempered.

I saw this unfold almost daily at my former hangout, tenforums.com and I see a the same scenarios occurring here too.

People want to learn but might be missing the point on a specific topic. You're attempting to guide someone and you've seen this same situation with other users, it has happened a dozen times or more.

They might be here to learn yet they have some sort of blockage and refuse to listen to the same advice, coming over and over again from different members. It can get quite frustrating for both sides.

The great thing about a site like Ram Forum, similar to Ten Forums, is the knowledge base and experience of members is enormous and covers almost any element of our vehicles and other technical topics as well.

If anyone were providing defective or inaccurate information on any topic, trust me, someone else would raise a flag or correct the errors. :)

Goose, the above rant is not directed to you or anyone else in particular. This was just a convenient spot for me to blather about the above info. :cool:

Thanks for your good post!

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
So I said early on that eventually we'll switch our intake out for a banks with no grid bolt at some point, but in no hurry. I'm not a worry wart or a sucker that buys into every conspiracy theory, I'm also willing to 100% agree that this is not a big percentage of a problem to be overly concerned with as it affects very few in the grand scheme of things. Most of us purchase a hohd ram for hauling big weight and need a dependable vehicle when we're away from home with all that weight behind us. So why not just do the fix all ( intake related) In one swoop by eliminating grid bolt and increasing performance and be done with it and not worry bought that bolt for even 1% ever again, plus increase performance. I don't know about everyone else but when we've got that massive trailer behind us I want the most bullet proof and rock sold truck I can get, plus I'd rather spend $1,000 to get rid of the grid bolt and make the truck potentially more dependable instead of possibly spending $20,000 + on an engine in the slim chance the bolt nut falls off, plus piece of mind is worth it hands down alone and not voiding your warranty. I'm sure some keyboard 6.7 know it alls will say I'm buying into the gale banks hype but Im saying I've owned the truck for 3 years now and haven't replaced it yet but someday I will because it just makes good technical sense.
Here's a banks video to help explain, but I'm sure there will be some to say it's all hype, i just think a potentially more dependable truck is worth it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
So I said early on that eventually we'll switch our intake out for a banks with no grid bolt at some point, but in no hurry. I'm not a worry wart or a sucker that buys into every conspiracy theory, I'm also willing to 100% agree that this is not a big percentage of a problem to be overly concerned with as it affects very few in the grand scheme of things. Most of us purchase a hohd ram for hauling big weight and need a dependable vehicle when we're away from home with all that weight behind us. So why not just do the fix all ( intake related) In one swoop by eliminating grid bolt and increasing performance and be done with it and not worry bought that bolt for even 1% ever again, plus increase performance. I don't know about everyone else but when we've got that massive trailer behind us I want the most bullet proof and rock sold truck I can get, plus I'd rather spend $1,000 to get rid of the grid bolt and make the truck potentially more dependable instead of possibly spending $20,000 + on an engine in the slim chance the bolt nut falls off, plus piece of mind is worth it hands down alone and not voiding your warranty. I'm sure some keyboard 6.7 know it alls will say I'm buying into the gale banks hype but Im saying I've owned the truck for 3 years now and haven't replaced it yet but someday I will because it just makes good technical sense.
Here's a banks video to help explain, but I'm sure there will be some to say it's all hype, i just think a potentially more dependable truck is worth it.

100% agree. To add, the Banks system was designed to help with flow, including getting rid of the grid heater for even more flow.
As failures occurred, Banks team began advertising the fact that the kit eliminated that chance. It is an added bonus to the package. The original design was about flow and he showed and proved that years ago in the early design and youtube vids.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

By the way, just what is a "grid heater" anyway? Is that the block heater that one can plug in?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
By the way, just what is a "grid heater" anyway? Is that the block heater that one can plug in?

The grid heater is under the intake horn. When supplied with voltage it heats like a mild toaster oven to warm the intake incoming air when engine is cranked.
Screenshot_20231208_193644_eBay.jpg

Intake horn on top. Grid heater can be seen in the lower left.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
The grid heater is under the intake horn. When supplied with voltage it heats like a mild toaster oven to warm the intake incoming air when engine is cranked.
View attachment 533066

Intake horn on top. Grid heater can be seen in the lower left.

Interesting. Diesels love heat. I live in S Arizona, so my truck must be happy here.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Interesting. Diesels love heat. I live in S Arizona, so my truck must be happy here.
We're In N Arizona and our delayed start count down for the grid heater still comes on every morning this time of year, i believe it comes on anytime it's below 60 * outside. Yah know the old wait to start for glow plugs light:p