Custom rear springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Throwing this out there since I must be googling the wrong things.

Who the hell makes custom replacement rear springs?

I'm getting custom length king coilovers and rear shocks.

Sphon adjustable arms and panhard bar.

Total chaos or icon or fabtech uca

But to finish the suspension I wanted to get some better coil springs..but I need some custom springs to replace the superlift ones.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well i found this site. Coil Spring Specialties | Off Road

but i was looking for more of an offroad shop that could tell me what spring rate i should use and such.

no one?

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Kings will be awesome!! Will these be put on a lifted truck or only like 2" or so? If you aren't going higher maybe some Icon rear springs?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Kings will be awesome!! Will these be put on a lifted truck or only like 2" or so? If you aren't going higher maybe some Icon rear springs?

they're going to be custom length for a 6" lift +2.8" bils. They will be built to that extra length so that it will be level without using the adjustment.
That way when they settle i can adjust them to account for that and the extra weight on the front of my truck.

Unfortunately since i have the superlift ill need springs that are 5" over stock

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I feel like you had a thread like this before, and I posted a link to a company that makes custom springs....

If it wasn't you, I'll try to find it again... Was a couple months ago.

(This isn't the one I've seen before, but they look legit... May be a good idea to ask a rep at king for a referral.)

http://www.bettsspring.com/coil-springs

IMO

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do Alcan and Deaver only make leafs? I feel like alcan makes coils... I could be wrong. You could also call thuren or carli, I bet they could point you in the direction.

King didn't know? I'm surprised they didn't recommend someone as well. I'm pretty sure they don't make their own springs...

Or FOA.

There are a lot of options here. Any of the coilover companies should be able to provide some insight? I feel like you didn't try very hard lol

EDIT: Alcan says they only make leafs. But you should call them and ask who they recommend for coils

Also... FTS makes a 8" kit for these, and I think has a 10" kit too (not for sale yet I don't think). They are PROBABLY using big spacers lol, you could ask them if you run out of options. I realize that's the opposite direction of what are you wanting (flashy mall crawler vs performance parts) but again maybe they can help you get the right people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I feel like you had a thread like this before, and I posted a link to a company that makes custom springs....

If it wasn't you, I'll try to find it again... Was a couple months ago.

(This isn't the one I've seen before, but they look legit... May be a good idea to ask a rep at king for a referral.)

http://www.bettsspring.com/coil-springs

IMO

I don't think I did, but who knows. I'll shoot them an email.

I asked the guys who are going to do my coilovers and they didnt really have any input on the topic. All the big coilover guys only seem to make coilover springs.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do Alcan and Deaver only make leafs? I feel like alcan makes coils... I could be wrong. You could also call thuren or carli, I bet they could point you in the direction.

King didn't know? I'm surprised they didn't recommend someone as well. I'm pretty sure they don't make their own springs...

Or FOA.

There are a lot of options here. Any of the coilover companies should be able to provide some insight? I feel like you didn't try very hard lol

EDIT: Alcan says they only make leafs. But you should call them and ask who they recommend for coils

Also... FTS makes a 8" kit for these, and I think has a 10" kit too (not for sale yet I don't think). They are PROBABLY using big spacers lol, you could ask them if you run out of options. I realize that's the opposite direction of what are you wanting (flashy mall crawler vs performance parts) but again maybe they can help you get the right people.

I'm running into a lot of shops that make custom leaf springs but no coil springs.

I asked the shop who is going to to my coilovers. They didn't have anyone to direct me to since all the big manufactures only make coilover springs.
He said most people he works with have coilovers in the rear also.

Definitely won't be getting anything from FTS lol my superlift springs are probably better then theirs

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
hmmm I have my doubts about them making their own springs lol.. they probably just don't want to give our their source. Have you looked on pirate? Most of those guys are coilover or leafs too, but maybe...

Rear coilover convsersion? lol

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know of anyone who is doing custom coils. I've even talked to Carli and Thuren and they are sticking with the HD line vehicles with no plans on the 1/2 tons.

Still might be worth sending Thuren and Carli a email and see if anything can be worked out...?

the only other thing I could think of is who AustinB suggested. I've gotten custom leafs from them for medium duty trucks but nothing coil. good leafs though...

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Could you just pick up some of the King 3.75" coils for the rear? They are listed by length and spring rate.

King Shocks 3.75 Coil Springs for Coil Over Shocks « King Off-Road Racing Springs : kingshocks.com

If you are going this deep though you would be better off cutting the coil spring pads and welding tabs for coilovers in their place. The axle end would be protected by mounting to the top of the tube. This would also give you a shorter shock without sacrificing travel. Also you could then use a 2 stage setup that would allow you to change out springs until you get your perfect spring rate for your individual application. Basically a longer/lighter tender spring will compress quickly giving you better ride quality initially until it hits the slider stop and transitions to the heavier main spring below to firm up when you need the extra capacity/droop. And if you really want to get into the weeds you can spend the next 8 hours of your life here.

BillaVista.com-Coilover Bible Part 1 Tech Article by BillaVista
BillaVista.com-Coilover Bible Part 2 Tech Article by BillaVista

Enjoy!

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Could you just pick up some of the King 3.75" coils for the rear? They are listed by length and spring rate.

King Shocks 3.75 Coil Springs for Coil Over Shocks « King Off-Road Racing Springs : kingshocks.com

If you are going this deep though you would be better off cutting the coil spring pads and welding tabs for coilovers in their place. The axle end would be protected by mounting to the top of the tube. This would also give you a shorter shock without sacrificing travel. Also you could then use a 2 stage setup that would allow you to change out springs until you get your perfect spring rate for your individual application. Basically a longer/lighter tender spring will compress quickly giving you better ride quality initially until it hits the slider stop and transitions to the heavier main spring below to firm up when you need the extra capacity/droop. And if you really want to get into the weeds you can spend the next 8 hours of your life here.

Enjoy!

while it would be very tempting to do a coilover conversion, idk if the cost vs benefit would be worth it. It would be at least another 1500 and that's lowballing it probably.

Still in the back of my head though, well see how much i want to end up spending. already looking at 4000 for everything

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
stay with me on this one... ready...

Trade it in on a 2500?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
stay with me on this one... ready...

Trade it in on a 2500?

why would i do that? i dont need a heavy duty truck. its not like they have some super good suspension either, to get serious performance out of the suspension i would be spending the same.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
so much easier to get the height. A 8" BDS kit on a new 2500 is basically taller than a 1500 can ever be lol. And stronger axles for the weight of the tires.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so much easier to get the height. A 8" BDS kit on a new 2500 is basically taller than a 1500 can ever be lol. And stronger axles for the weight of the tires.

This is way, way more advanced then just height. He wants performance and is paying a lot of money for it.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reading material! This has been bookmarked!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Biggest any of the "performance" suspension companies made was a 6", anything else for a HD was just for looks for the most part. There was one company making a coilover 8-10" kit but I believe they are out of business

while it would be very tempting to do a coilover conversion, idk if the cost vs benefit would be worth it. It would be at least another 1500 and that's lowballing it probably.

Still in the back of my head though, well see how much i want to end up spending. already looking at 4000 for everything

Depending on Custom spring cost it actually may not be a bad idea, only problem is the custom spring still being a decent option due to its set to your specs and build. but then again the coil over has more flexibility options as to ride height compression (if its a dual rate coilover) easy fab in process... just some thoughts.

I'm curious as to how a 8" lift coil (if that's your goal) would handle the compression, at what point will the coil want to spit out the side vs compress ? Not sure if that makes sense but I'm sure a spring shop will figure it out.
I'm trying to figure out any coil lift even on jeeps that has a coil design as we do that has that much spring height.

Very interested to see where this goes and what you figure out

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Depending on Custom spring cost it actually may not be a bad idea, only problem is the custom spring still being a decent option due to its set to your specs and build. but then again the coil over has more flexibility options as to ride height compression (if its a dual rate coilover) easy fab in process... just some thoughts.

I'm curious as to how a 8" lift coil (if that's your goal) would handle the compression, at what point will the coil want to spit out the side vs compress ? Not sure if that makes sense but I'm sure a spring shop will figure it out.
I'm trying to figure out any coil lift even on jeeps that has a coil design as we do that has that much spring height.

Very interested to see where this goes and what you figure out

we'll see on the price, hoping for 500ish for the rears. If i could fab it up myself it would be a no brainer. Or even if i had someone who i trusted to do it. But in NJ it will cost A LOT

well i need to measure the rear coils, they would probably only be +5" over stock length. I forget what the superlift length is.
As for everything else...not a clue! Thats why i pay someone to design them! hahaha