Dash Light Dimmer Circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I found it, but I can't tell you which "pin #" it is. How do you tell what pin, is what #? They are not labeled? But I found it by sticking a small wire into the back of each pin and plugging it back in and turning it on/off with a volt meter on the other end of the wire. I finally found the right wire that went up/down with the brightness knob....

what color was the wire?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well, I found it, but I can't tell you which "pin #" it is. How do you tell what pin, is what #? They are not labeled? But I found it by sticking a small wire into the back of each pin and plugging it back in and turning it on/off with a volt meter on the other end of the wire. I finally found the right wire that went up/down with the brightness knob....
Looking through Chrysler's system, I'm fairly certain this is the plug that goes into the back of the headlight switch. This wiring pinout is for a 2018 Ram 1500. using this pinout, can you confirm which wire you used?

Untitled.png

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Looking through Chrysler's system, I'm fairly certain this is the plug that goes into the back of the headlight switch. This wiring pinout is for a 2018 Ram 1500. using this pinout, can you confirm which wire you used?

View attachment 120569

Oh KRYKEEEE!! Where the heck were you when I spent 2 days crawling around under my dash upside down????? ;) Where did you get this drawing/diagram/pinout doc? I want that for my entire truck! I don't know why the drawings don't come standard with all vehicles... AND, why they don't give us a few extra switches to install aftermarket stuff, like they do on boats!! It's REDICULOUS what we have to do to install a simple light for gods sake.

Anywho, from your diagram, I used either pin #2 or Pin #4, I have to look at it as I can't recall which side it was on, I know it was the 2nd wire in from one side or the other. The color was Orange with a grey stripe which is #4 in drawing. BUT, be careful, I originally thought I had the orange/grey wire, tested it and it was not working. Only to find later, it was a light brown stripe, not the grey. It's so hard to see up there, and the colored stripes are not very prevalent/hard to see...

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Oh KRYKEEEE!! Where the heck were you when I spent 2 days crawling around under my dash upside down????? ;) Where did you get this drawing/diagram/pinout doc? I want that for my entire truck!
Peep at my sig for what i do for a living. I have full access to the service department's tech connect system which includes a full interactive wiring program. it's pretty cool, it will show you a wiring diagram that is clickable. if you click a module, a connector, or a junction point, you have the option to see a color illustration of exactly where that is located on the vehicle, and a detailed illustration of the plug's pinout, which is what i posted above. it makes things very easy for the weekend warrior such as myself!

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Peep at my sig for what i do for a living. I have full access to the service department's tech connect system which includes a full interactive wiring program. it's pretty cool, it will show you a wiring diagram that is clickable. if you click a module, a connector, or a junction point, you have the option to see a color illustration of exactly where that is located on the vehicle, and a detailed illustration of the plug's pinout, which is what i posted above. it makes things very easy for the weekend warrior such as myself!

Well, put in the dang "suggestion box" that EVERYONE that just paid $60k for a truck SHOULD get the same thing! ;)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This will help some of you since I have a few sets...

My 2013+ Shared Schematics and other OEM Info
http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1313236

Also, you can sign up for a TechAuthority subscription yourself for about $35 /3 days off full access. Link in the OP linked just above.

M² Mods.

Reactions: JB1

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh KRYKEEEE!! Where the heck were you when I spent 2 days crawling around under my dash upside down????? ;) Where did you get this drawing/diagram/pinout doc? I want that for my entire truck! I don't know why the drawings don't come standard with all vehicles... AND, why they don't give us a few extra switches to install aftermarket stuff, like they do on boats!! It's REDICULOUS what we have to do to install a simple light for gods sake.

Anywho, from your diagram, I used either pin #2 or Pin #4, I have to look at it as I can't recall which side it was on, I know it was the 2nd wire in from one side or the other. The color was Orange with a grey stripe which is #4 in drawing. BUT, be careful, I originally thought I had the orange/grey wire, tested it and it was not working. Only to find later, it was a light brown stripe, not the grey. It's so hard to see up there, and the colored stripes are not very prevalent/hard to see...

It was posted back on page one but the hosted picture is gone.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
has anyone been able to verify which pin is needed, #2 or #4? i'll be wiring all my stuff in this weekend and I have a 50/50 shot of getting it right the first time.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So, fun fact, I was looking at the diagrams a little closer tonight. There are several components that seem to use the same OG/GY wire contrary to my knowledge. The easiest wire to grab seems to be on the back of the trailer brake controller, instead of having to run all the way across the steering wheel to get to the headlight switch. and it looks like it's pin 2 if you're grabbing from the headlight switch. if you're getting it from the trailer brake controller, you'll need pin 8.

Untitled.png

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I still may try the cigarette lighter in the console like you suggested, I want the lower text of the switch illuminated whenever my truck is on

Also please take pics of how you run the wires up the center stack

Last edited:

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’ll see what I can get. I already made a pretty ******* wiring harness with a quick disconnect I’m pretty proud of. That way the switch pod isn’t tethered to the truck. If I need to take it off for whatever reason, a quick squeeze of a plug and the whole thing comes off in one piece. Past experience has taught me to think ahead like that.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Oh, and there is a battery hot on the radio I’ll be using for the switches. I’m sure there’s an ignition hot wire back there as well, I’ll check for you tomorrow.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So we have to pull the radio?

Please take a few in process pics

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
To get to the wiring harness I’ll be using, yes. And I hear there is a ton of room behind the radio to work so removing it sounds like it will make the process easier.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
And it doesn't look like there is an ignition hot source in the radio harness. not on the 8.4 anyway.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Main switched and fused power to the radio is the RED wire coming from pin 44. If you need any other diagrams, I have access at home. Feel free to PM me if need be.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I think I still may try the cigarette lighter in the console like you suggested, I want the lower text of the switch illuminated whenever my truck is on

Also please take pics of how you run the wires up the center stack

Here is the diagram and info for the console 12v outlet:

Reactions: JB1

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So the armrest won't work then, it looks to be battery-hot. the one in the front of the console looks to be ignition-hot, that's the one you want if you want the switch lights to come on with the truck.