Dealer Demo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has any one here ever purchased a dealer demonstration vehicle? Several times over the last 3 months I've found trucks that look great online only to find out that they have several thousands of miles driven by the GM of the dealership.

If you were in the market for a new truck, how much of a discount would you want on a 2015 Longhorn with 5,500 miles it?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Like, free. Can they swing that? That thing has been ridden hard by the dealer manager and whoever gets to test drive it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most dealer around here are selling 15's for between 10-12K off the sticker. Being a demo you might get a little more off.
Jay

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has any one here ever purchased a dealer demonstration vehicle? Several times over the last 3 months I've found trucks that look great online only to find out that they have several thousands of miles driven by the GM of the dealership.

If you were in the market for a new truck, how much of a discount would you want on a 2015 Longhorn with 5,500 miles it?

We cant give you an accurate answer unless you tell us the sticker price.

a fair deal through out the year is about 20% off sticker. Some guys can get an even better deal....maybe 22-23% off sticker. End of the year, people are getting 25%+ off sticker.....

A used dealer demo.....id say it better be 30% off sticker or so.

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We cant give you an accurate answer unless you tell us the sticker price.

a fair deal through out the year is about 20% off sticker. Some guys can get an even better deal....maybe 22-23% off sticker. End of the year, people are getting 25%+ off sticker.....

A used dealer demo.....id say it better be 30% off sticker or so.

The MSRP is $54,750. They're advertising the truck for 10k off. I'm sure they'd go lower. The salesman won't leave me alone. I personally would NEVER buy a dealer demo but I was just curious what the general consensus on this issue was.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2010 was a dealer demo. Not one issue with it. I don't think they really drove it harder than pulling a camper through a mountain pass.

Being a demo, I negotiated tow mirrors and Max care lifetime warranty.

I'm hard on trucks, they handle it well.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just get a new non demo for that much off. if they are not willing to go more down technically it's considered a used truck=demo truck
Good luck

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get a new non demo for that much off. if they are not willing to go more down technically it's considered a used truck=demo truck
Good luck
No title transfer or registration. Demos are sold as new.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I'm concerned, a "dealer demo" vehicle with mileage on it is a used vehicle. They will try to sell it as a "new" demo because technically it has not been registered through the dept of motor vehicle. Whoever drives it as a demo through the dealership basically uses it as a personal vehicle until it sells or its traded which to me means USED VEHICLE

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I'm concerned, a "dealer demo" vehicle with mileage on it is a used vehicle. They will try to sell it as a "new" demo because technically it has not been registered through the dept of motor vehicle. Whoever drives it as a demo through the dealership basically uses it as a personal vehicle until it sells or its traded which to me means USED VEHICLE

I couldn't agree more! The salesman today just couldn't understand why I wouldn't consider buying a truck with "only" 5,500 miles on it. It was comical how frustrated he started to get with me. If I was in the market for a used truck I might consider a demo but I'm looking for new.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they are trying to sell it with only $10k off, I would laugh in their face.

If you want it, I would go back and say that you want $20k off just to shut them up....then if you can go back and forth, get like $15k off and lifetime warranty will cover any issue with the truck.

They want you because nobody else is interested...so I would take full advantage of the situation, and seriously beat them up with their best price....then refuse it. After wasting their time, come back again and whatever is their final price, knock $2k and say you will take it home today. Key here is to get them $1-$2k lower than what they want, and a lifetime warranty...to cover ur ass of anything they might have done.

Also, it helps if you go to another dealer and get a quote from a similar truck...so you can hand them their ass..lol

** From the *******...where my best ideas come from**

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 Sport had 2,400 miles on it. I got it for $12k off which around here was a good deal for what others were asking for these trucks. The warranty period starts when you buy the truck.

IMG_3242_zpsmtvx4b5y.jpg

Before I painted the wheels and blacked out the grill.

IMG_3209_zps0f9d1rrb.jpg
Just out of curiosity, have you thought about spending some time with plasti dip the rims orange....just an idea...the truck looks great they way it is now.

** From the *******...where my best ideas come from**

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Agreed. It's used and the history on the vehicle is anyone's guess, like any used car. the only demo I've ever bought was my 08 Tundra. about 1700 miles on it. bed has a few scratches so I got a great deal, had them drop in a liner. Ran great til it got totaled from a head on. One surprise I found on the truck when I got it home was the driver side door inside. Was upgrading the speakers when I found it. there's a Styrofoam impact bar in the door. it was broken up and split in half. then closer look showed the panel had been off before. Not sure how that happened. Did they reskin the door? was there a simple problem and someone accidentally stepped on the impact bar while the panel was off? don't know but that's the kind of stuff that makes me uneasy. my plan was to beat the snot out of the truck at work anyway so didn't make much of a fuss about it. But I'll probably not buy another demo again. Especially with some of the end of year deals you can score.

bri6679

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
111c271ded9198245ca69444d4af341c.jpg

I just picked up this 2016 sport last week the only color options were black which I picked and a white one that's definitely a cool unique color personally not crazy about the racing stripes but I guess they they go well with that color

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the guys I know is a gm of a dealership and I've seen the stuff they do to their demos. From accidents to scratches they either have their in-house paint guy touch it up or send it out to get fixed and the buyer is never the wiser.
Like was already stated, I would go to another dealership and tell them the price drop of that other truck and go from there. Gotta be careful with demos

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
GM's or dealerships for that matter, do not pick a random new truck off the lot to make it a "dealer demo". 99.9% of the time, it is a truck that has had some issue like mechanical, paint or other defect that had to be repaired and then became the GM's errand daily driver. Some are actually sold trucks they took back within days before they got the title/registration changed.

"Dealer Demo" is a misnomer. They want you to test drive the vehicle you are looking at, not some other demo. Like other said, treat it like a low mileage used when negotiating.

Last edited:

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
I always try to buy a demo as to me it's a new vechicle..most cars have been driven once so I guess unless you special order they all are used....anyways

yes you can get some great deals and don't be afraid to negotiate and drive off the lot in one

I got mine with 1250 miles for 32500 otd....sticker was 44k

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not disagreeing at all and you can get some great deals. The cars and trucks at the dealership I am referring took whatever was the newest and had all the bells and whistles, it wasn't a vehicle with prior defects.
May be the dealership you are talking about drives those type vehicles but around this way they drive the nicest vehicles so that customers see how nice they are and then they discount them after.
And I'm sure ThatDude596 wouldn't have bought a beat up demo for his vehicle. Instead he bought a demo that was in great shape for $$$$$ off the sticker.
It is just me, and not trying to force an opinion but instead giving a different perspective as to what I have seen and experienced as we all have our best and worst tales.
All I'm saying is be aware and you can still get great deals. The company I used to work for got us a substantial discount well under sticker and without the need to haggle. The price was the same at every dealership so the dealer would give other items to earn my business. Check and see if your job has a discount or one of your friends and they may be able to use it for you...