Dealership has no idea what’s wrong - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Out of 10 techs you'd be lucky to get 3 that are real good at this even at the dealerships.Been there.

Thats pretty accurate. Worse thing is that the industry in general makes it hard for good techs to grow and prosper, especially in the dealer/warranty world.

In my experience ****** dealers tend to breed ****** techs. If you can find a good dealer there’s a better chance having good techs. Bad techs/con artists tend to get run out of good shops pretty quick.

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
Just wanted to update- turns out the issue was not fixed! Same thing still happening. It’s been at the dealership for 3 weeks and they can’t figure out the issue. They think it’s the cluster but can’t confirm. Chrysler is telling them they need to be able to replicate the issue and the techs aren’t able to.

we literally don’t know what to do. It feels like we haven’t owned a truck in months!

can someone who understands dealerships help me out here- what can we do? What can we demand?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Invoke a Lemon Law if your state has one.
Demand a different truck.

Sorry, just remembered you have a 2011.
Maybe find an automotive electrical shop?

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
Invoke a Lemon Law if your state has one.
Demand a different truck.

Sorry, just remembered you have a 2011.
Maybe find an automotive electrical shop?

We went that route already.. paid $300. They said they fixed it but they were wrong... we took it back there a week later and they said they thought it was the cluster. We then took it to the dealership to have them fix it (we have the lifetime mopar warranty- so we have to use the dealership in order for it to be covered).

Now here we are.. dealership can’t confirm it’s the cluster so apparently we’re SOL

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Scour the boneyards for an intact used one?
Sorry, have nothing else to offer.

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
A used cluster?

the problem is nobody is able to find the actual issue.. we don’t know if it’s the cluster

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
We’ve opened a case with mopar and escalated things to management at the dealership. We’ll see what happens

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
I've posted here before about our 2011 Ram 1500 having issues. The alarm goes off randomly and the battery dies after a few days of no use- nobody can figure out why.

We purchased the Mopar lifetime warranty when we purchased the truck in 2013. We have never had to use it, until now. Our issue is this.. We've taken it to two dealerships and nobody can determine what is causing the issue, so nothing is getting fixed. This has been going on for at least 3 months! We finally contacted Mopar and they said since the technicians cannot "recreate the issue" then there is nothing they can do. The dealerships have acknowledged the truck is dying and has a draw but they've done all the tests they can apparently. So they're giving up on finding the issue, and Mopar is giving up and they won't cover us going elsewhere to get it fixed. So what the heck are we supposed to do?? Is it not their responsibility to figure this out?

We are incredibly frustrated and disappointed in how we've been treated. If there is anyone on here who works for Mopar or Chrysler that can give us some hope on what to do it would be so much appreciated. HELP PLEASE

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I get the frustration. But the unless it does it with us there is nothing we can do is true with any brand. If there isnt a draw and they can check literally everything while they have it there isnt anything they can do. Also the fact your truck is 9 years old and this is your first issue and want to jump ship is suprising. Do a search on how many people who have much bigger issues on brand new 60k plus trucks. I would say get it to replicate and immediately have it towed to the dealer and hooked up. Again I get the frustration but unless its doing it nothing they can do. I had a issue with engine power on our brand new 18 Malibu redline in the shop 8 times never replicated. Luckily one day my cousin who is a chevy service writer was with me and it did it he instantly knew what it needed. A new cat and a pcm reflash later back to normal. Just saying dont give up that easy or you'll eventually run out of brands to buy because not being able to replicate it happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First thing I'd do is replace the battery, cuz on these newer vehicles a weak battery can cause all kinds of gremlins....

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I've posted here before about our 2011 Ram 1500 having issues. The alarm goes off randomly and the battery dies after a few days of no use- nobody can figure out why.

We purchased the Mopar lifetime warranty when we purchased the truck in 2013. We have never had to use it, until now. Our issue is this.. We've taken it to two dealerships and nobody can determine what is causing the issue, so nothing is getting fixed. This has been going on for at least 3 months! We finally contacted Mopar and they said since the technicians cannot "recreate the issue" then there is nothing they can do. The dealerships have acknowledged the truck is dying and has a draw but they've done all the tests they can apparently. So they're giving up on finding the issue, and Mopar is giving up and they won't cover us going elsewhere to get it fixed. So what the heck are we supposed to do?? Is it not their responsibility to figure this out?

We are incredibly frustrated and disappointed in how we've been treated. If there is anyone on here who works for Mopar or Chrysler that can give us some hope on what to do it would be so much appreciated. HELP PLEASE

Firstly, i’d kill to have just a alarm go off and a dead battery, as my 1500 is starting to have pretty much every issue under the sun, but that’s to be expected in a 2013 truck with almost 500K on it.

Secondly, how are your grounds? Battery as mentioned before? What about your key fob, have you replaced the battery in it in the past 9 years? That can cause a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
I get the frustration. But the unless it does it with us there is nothing we can do is true with any brand. If there isnt a draw and they can check literally everything while they have it there isnt anything they can do. Also the fact your truck is 9 years old and this is your first issue and want to jump ship is suprising. Do a search on how many people who have much bigger issues on brand new 60k plus trucks. I would say get it to replicate and immediately have it towed to the dealer and hooked up. Again I get the frustration but unless its doing it nothing they can do. I had a issue with engine power on our brand new 18 Malibu redline in the shop 8 times never replicated. Luckily one day my cousin who is a chevy service writer was with me and it did it he instantly knew what it needed. A new cat and a pcm reflash later back to normal. Just saying dont give up that easy or you'll eventually run out of brands to buy because not being able to replicate it happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

It's not the actual truck we're upset about, but the service involved. I'll clarify- we won't ever purchase anything from Chrysler again. The truck has been there for over a month.. the batter has died while there. I don't know why they can't replicate it???

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
First thing I'd do is replace the battery, cuz on these newer vehicles a weak battery can cause all kinds of gremlins....

We're purchased 4 batteries in the last year. Not a battery issue

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Radio? My dad had that issue on his 09 Silverado. The CD changer always tried to switch Cds 24/7

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Sounds like the dealers don't really know how to troubleshoot. Not uncommon these days with any brand since many of the techs they have are just parts replacers. No real troubleshooting skills. Unfortunately, you might have to try dealer roulette and keep trying different ones until you can find one with some decent troubleshooters.

Regarding you threat to leave Chrysler unless we, the forum members, restore your faith probably isn't going to happen since we can't fix your car and threats usually don't get one very far. Additionally, speaking for my self, I am not really in the psychology business. ;-)

OP
OP
V

Vmd2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6
Radio? My dad had that issue on his 09 Silverado. The CD changer always tried to switch Cds 24/7

The radio/nav system was replaced 6 months ago. (The battery/alarm issue started a year ago)

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The radio/nav system was replaced 6 months ago. (The battery/alarm issue started a year ago)
I know if I hit unlock on my key fob it sounds like a fan running on the headlight area anything similar?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Electrical problems are the worst. A long time ago had an electric problem in a truck. After frustrating times I ended up removing half the fuses and left the truck for a few days. It still died so plugged back in and removed the other half and left for a few days again. Truck started right up. I kept doing that, removing half at a time. Eventually narrowed down and found the issue, don't remember exactly what it was. I have also done this one at a time. Good luck

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Sounds like the dealers don't really know how to troubleshoot. Not uncommon these days with any brand since many of the techs they have are just parts replacers. No real troubleshooting skills. Unfortunately, you might have to try dealer roulette and keep trying different ones until you can find one with some decent troubleshooters.

Regarding you threat to leave Chrysler unless we, the forum members, restore your faith probably isn't going to happen since we can't fix your car and threats usually don't get one very far. Additionally, speaking for my self, I am not really in the psychology business. ;-)
Couldn't agree more,most places now are just part replacers.I had a problem with mine battery going dead and it was an amp that was drawing power while truck was off,switched power to the cigarette lighter power as it goes dead when truck is off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilo670