Dealership Says No Lubricating Front Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So regarding this lubrication point, does anyone know what year trucks this applied to? Mines a late 16, early 17 build and I spent about 90 minutes crawling around yesterday trying to find this damn thing and I was unsuccessful. Then this morning I took the truck to a mechanic and he put it up on a rack and we both looked. He wasn’t able to find it either. Is it possible some trucks have it and some do not depending on when they were built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
So regarding this lubrication point, does anyone know what year trucks this applied to? Mines a late 16, early 17 build and I spent about 90 minutes crawling around yesterday trying to find this damn thing and I was unsuccessful. Then this morning I took the truck to a mechanic and he put it up on a rack and we both looked. He wasn’t able to find it either. Is it possible some trucks have it and some do not depending on when they were built?

There’s a sticker under the hood that says to do it.... I’d say if you have that sticker then it needs done. It is very hard to find. Add in any mud or dirt and it becomes even harder to find.

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There’s a sticker under the hood that says to do it.... I’d say if you have that sticker then it needs done. It is very hard to find. Add in any mud or dirt and it becomes even harder to find.

Where do they put the sticker? Attached to the engine bay or under the hood or where? I haven’t found that.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try Google and it will show you where its at.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You have it. They had this setup for years. Its just hard to find if its never been done before.

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have it. They had this setup for years. Its just hard to find if its never been done before.

Well I looked and a mechanic looked. I’m gonna have to have someone physically show me where the hell its at. What a stupid design

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I looked and a mechanic looked. I’m gonna have to have someone physically show me where the hell its at. What a stupid design

I spent 20 minutes under my truck looking for it the first time. Mine had a foil cap over it about the size of a pea that was covered in dirt and blended in with the surface rust on the drive shaft.

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spent 20 minutes under my truck looking for it the first time. Mine had a foil cap over it about the size of a pea that was covered in dirt and blended in with the surface rust on the drive shaft.

I’m at a loss on this one.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It seems like there is enough room there, so I don't know why they didn't use a regular grease zerk? When I am doing mine, I can't tell if I am getting any grease in there or not. Sometimes I feel confident, other times not so much!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like there is enough room there, so I don't know why they didn't use a regular grease zerk? When I am doing mine, I can't tell if I am getting any grease in there or not. Sometimes I feel confident, other times not so much!

I would have to guess, at full droop of front axle there is not enough room for a zerk. Otherwise they would have used one... buuuutttt lol

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

You should see some coming out the other side.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mine originally had a little rounded cover on the fitting... Looked like the head of a tiny rivet... Pair of needle nose pliers uncovered the fitting.

They use the needle fittings because a zerk simply will not fit, especially on a lifted vehicle. As I recall, my '78 Bronco had zerks on the driveshaft crosses and my '93 Bronco had all needles. But the '78 driveshafts were larger crosses and CV joint due to it coming off of the F150 assembly line. The '93 Broncos had "their own" parts line and the driveshaft is noticeably smaller in diameter and cross size.

My truck now has a real driveshaft in it, not one of the OEM non-repairable, replace when worn driveshafts. I took my worn shaft to a driveshaft shop and had it rebuilt. New Spicer CV, all Spicer crosses, ALL greasable. Cost me around $700 -LESS- than the dealer wanted to simply replace the shaft...

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Exactly! I have the needle tool sometimes I cant feel it go in, other times I feel resistance and can see some grease come out.

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok fellas. Update on the search for the mysterious grease fill.

Went by my Dodge dealer this morning. I have good relationship with the shop Forman so he was nice enough to rack up the truck and show me what’s what.

Something interesting that may help some of you or anyone else unable to locate that fitting, and or if you do locate it, getting it greased successfully:

I was show a second way of lubing that joint. He explained that sometimes his guys simply cannot find the fill area because of dirt or mud or whatever. So, they started using another technique. The best way I can explain it is that the boot where the grease normally shoots out from, if filled from the designated fill point is some type of boot. Rubber or something else. That boot can be lifted with a grease needle and slid right under it to lube that area. He said hit it at 3 points and your good.

Hope this helps anyone who is as frustrated as I was.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Ok fellas. Update on the search for the mysterious grease fill.

Went by my Dodge dealer this morning. I have good relationship with the shop Forman so he was nice enough to rack up the truck and show me what’s what.

Something interesting that may help some of you or anyone else unable to locate that fitting, and or if you do locate it, getting it greased successfully:

I was show a second way of lubing that joint. He explained that sometimes his guys simply cannot find the fill area because of dirt or mud or whatever. So, they started using another technique. The best way I can explain it is that the boot where the grease normally shoots out from, if filled from the designated fill point is some type of boot. Rubber or something else. That boot can be lifted with a grease needle and slid right under it to lube that area. He said hit it at 3 points and your good.

Hope this helps anyone who is as frustrated as I was.

Boot?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank