Dealership Says No Lubricating Front Driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Yep the boot! Slide the grease needle in it in 3 spots like 12-4-8 and grease it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can find the lube point and have injected grease in it. I saw the grease come out the other side. I don't think there is a rubber boot there.

lubspot1_zps273187f5.jpg

lubespot3_zps1d774b9c.jpg

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Yep the boot! Slide the grease needle in it in 3 spots like 12-4-8 and grease it up

Boot? I don’t recall seeing a boot. Maybe at the front of the shaft. But I don’t remember a boot where the fittin is. Wish I had my truck right now I’d crawl under it. You sure they’re greasing The right spot??

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Boot? I don’t recall seeing a boot. Maybe at the front of the shaft. But I don’t remember a boot where the fittin is. Wish I had my truck right now I’d crawl under it. You sure they’re greasing The right spot??

Yeah he actually showed me both ways they do it. One using the grease fitting and the second coming from the other direction sliding in that needle underneath that boot, rubber, grommet, seal, whatever is actually called, and shooting grease in 3 spots. Again, it’s where the grease would normally shoot out the other side of you filled it from the fitting.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The joint is a double cardan joint, and the grease fitting is not for greasing the actual u-joints, but instead the connection point between the two u-joints.

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The joint is a double cardan joint, and the grease fitting is not for greasing the actual u-joints, but instead the connection point between the two u-

Just passing along the info direct from the Dodge dealer. This is what they recommend and how they service that area if unable to locate the grease port.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
The joint is a double cardan joint, and the grease fitting is not for greasing the actual u-joints, but instead the connection point between the two u-joints.
Yep I’m tracking that. He lost me when he said boot haha

shooters1380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep I’m tracking that. He lost me when he said boot haha

I said boot cuz the shop Forman said boot. I don’t know what the part is called. Just disregard whatever I wrote and can the Moderator remove my input from this thread? Thanks

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I said boot cuz the shop Forman said boot. I don’t know what the part is called. Just disregard whatever I wrote and can the Moderator remove my input from this thread? Thanks

Your input is just fine... no need for that. :favorites13:

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It can be a rough crowd at times. No worries. Say what you want.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Input is good. Don't be shy. Also don't take them too seriously.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Hey, ya try and help and ya get crap for it. Won’t do that again on this forum.

I hope I wasn't coming off as giving you a hard time. Kind hard to get a point across sometimes on forums. I really was wanting to make sure a dealer tech wasn’t screwing you around and giving bad info. They tend to do that lot. So much frustration for a stupid grease point lol. I blame the engineers

Last edited:

Bob57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Doing initial greasing of the double cardan universal joint on my ’17 2500 HD 4x4. Have both an epidermal needle and a Lincoln industrial 82784 needle nozzle assembly. I see the fitting. Problem is there appears to be a solid silver cap over the fitting and the needle bends before penetrating the cover. Do I have to remove a cap before inserting the needle into the fitting?

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Doing initial greasing of the double cardan universal joint on my ’17 2500 HD 4x4. Have both an epidermal needle and a Lincoln industrial 82784 needle nozzle assembly. I see the fitting. Problem is there appears to be a solid silver cap over the fitting and the needle bends before penetrating the cover. Do I have to remove a cap before inserting the needle into the fitting?

There was no cap on my 2014.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Good afternoon,

I'm new to the site, but have done several searches and have not found anyone else commenting with the same experience I'm having. I bought a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Hemi in October 2016. I now have 33,000 miles on it and have just had the fourth oil change completed by the dealer. At each oil change I have requested that they lubricate the front driveshaft as per the maintenance schedule and the sticker under the hood. Each time they have told me that the newer trucks like mine do not have a grease fitting on the front driveshaft and that is an error in the manual from older model trucks that was not removed. They also say the sticker under he hood is an error. I've found multiple posts in this forum and others of people who have lubricated the front driveshaft and have posted pictures of the joint, fitting, and required grease needle. Still the dealer says it doesn't have a fitting and doesn't need to be greased.

I did a chat session with Mopar customer service, and they put me on hold while they researched it. They came back and said the same thing. I gave them the link to one of the forums with photos of the fitting and they recommended I take the truck back to the dealer and have them look at what I found online in the forum.

Has anyone else experienced the dealer or Mopar customer service telling them the front driveshaft should not be lubricated? I would gladly take it to another dealer, but there isn't another one in town, so it would require a trip to another town to have them take a look. I certainly want it greased if it's supposed to be, but don't want to push the issue if the dealer is correct.

Thanks for the help!

I too have a 2017. You do have a grease fitting on the front axle as I have one and I lube it myself after every oil change (30100 miles on the clock).

Unfortunately I suggest you do it yourself. There are a few YouTube videos on how to do it.

Good luck.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
There’s no cover, there a machined circle around a spring-loaded ball. You have to push the needle in the center of that circle where the ball is. If it’s been a while, it doesn’t always push in easily.

Hydraplane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow lots of discussion on the fastest lube job on a Truck! What a shame dealership mechanics didnt know. I'm glad it is there at least u have the option , the double Cardon center bearing on my TJ only gets what you pack in upon assembly! My 2018 PW was pretty dry from the factory. I use Lucas red it is lithium based, works all over the TJ, outboard and trailer!

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
There’s no cover, there a machined circle around a spring-loaded ball. You have to push the needle in the center of that circle where the ball is. If it’s been a while, it doesn’t always push in easily.
Yes^^^^, it is the tiny ball in the center, hard for me to get especially lying under the truck by my self, need three hands ,reading glasses, soothing music and a comfy pad to lay on.