Death flash???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Can somebody explain to me what this is? I went the my local dodge dealer they had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
The "Death Flash" was a flash to the stock PCM to retard timing since customers were complaining of spark knock. This was a bs fix for the actual problem and robs you of power. In '99 or '00 they came out of the factory with it already done, iirc. If you have a sticker on your PCM or on your front rail (or just about any place they felt like slapping it on) in your engine bay, then you have the death flash. It usually says something along the lines of "Software Update".

Talking to the dealer about it is pointless, they won't have a clue. Getting a tuner that removes it is the way to go.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
May I ask what are symptoms of the death flash. My gramps has 00 and can lack power at times.

OP
OP

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Mines a 98 and it has bad spark knock when in a hard pull

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep, Bartow is right on the money: approximately late 99 early 00 they started putting it on the trucks stock.

Red Cody, the symptoms of the Death Flash are a simply the truck acting weak and lethargic all the time even with a fixed plenum and stock-sized tires.

98GreenRam, sounds like you have a blown plenum. The Death Flash didn't always mask the spark knock in all trucks, just most of them.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Ah my gramps 00 acts like my gramps until you gas it then it acts it's age and goes.

OP
OP

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Its funny you say that i just replaced my plenum bout a month ago haven't got to tow with it yet. The dealer said they can hook my truck up and see if there's any updates for it...is that a good idea?

SaggySenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is the spark knock going to result in an issue? I have a 98 that does it when going uphill or otherwise punching it. No issues with power though.
I've had other engines that expressed a knock due to improper timing and pitted pistons, but that was with higher compression and performance...

OP
OP

98GreenRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So mine being a 98 it shouldn't have deathflash and is that goods or bad? By the way my spark knock is gone after replacing the plenum gasket.