Dee Zee tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has been installed for over a year now. The insert nut did come loose at some time and is now bent. Can that be replaced and how hard is it to get the old insert nut out? Thanks in advance

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Mine has been installed for over a year now. The insert nut did come loose at some time and is now bent. Can that be replaced and how hard is it to get the old insert nut out? Thanks in advance
Same thing happened to mine. Just bend the ball back, take it off, and put the nutsert tool back in. You'll be able to tighten it back up. Then put the ball back in and use red threadlock.

After that I'd you want, tack weld the nutsert to the truck. I did that and didn't ever have an issue again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same thing happened to mine. Just bend the ball back, take it off, and put the nutsert tool back in. You'll be able to tighten it back up. Then put the ball back in and use red threadlock.

After that I'd you want, tack weld the nutsert to the truck. I did that and didn't ever have an issue again.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not even a year and mine has snapped at the connection to the tailgate... what a POS...lol...

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not even a year and mine has snapped at the connection to the tailgate... what a POS...lol...

Wow...I had mine on for over 2 yrs before I traded the truck in. I never had a problem.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Three years here. I've tightened it twice in all the time, no other issues.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I ordered one last week. It's sitting in the garage now. I hope to have it on this week.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Knock on wood I've had mine on for over a year no issues as of yet.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Are the older tailgates heavy ? my 16 the tailgate is very light so just wondering why help with the gate would be needed.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the older tailgates heavy ? my 16 the tailgate is very light so just wondering why help with the gate would be needed.

It's not about "help" with the tailgate.
The DeeZee damper just slows down the tailgate movement.
So if you open the tailgate and let go of it, it just lowers in a slow, controlled movement rather than falling down until the cable stop catches it.

I like mine and have zero issues so far.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My kid kept letting the tailgate slam all the time so I had to get one. Works great

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Installed mine this afternoon. The nutsert kept spinning on me when I tightened the nut, but I finally got it. I also removed the tab from the limiter and put it back on. I didn't like the idea of the cable rotating against the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love mine. Only thing I changed was I didn't use the plastic cable collar that is supposed to keep the cable from binding with the strut. It interfered with closing at times and without it it works fine. Best cheap mod!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed mine this afternoon. The nutsert kept spinning on me when I tightened the nut, but I finally got it. I also removed the tab from the limiter and put it back on. I didn't like the idea of the cable rotating against the paint.

It works ok with the limiter on? There must be a reason why they have you take it off, right? When I put the tailgate assist on my 2014, I didn't like removing the limiter, but thought I had to.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It works ok with the limiter on? There must be a reason why they have you take it off, right? When I put the tailgate assist on my 2014, I didn't like removing the limiter, but thought I had to.

Two things I didn't understand. 1) what does the limiter do? 2) why remove it?

So, I slowly closed the tailgate and watched the cable with the limiter on. It controls the way the cable folds up when you close the tailgate. It points the cable (tailgate end) towards the truck when you lift the tailgate. If you remove the limiter the metal loop of the cable now rotates against the paint and I didn't like that. So I broke the tab off the limiter that sticks out for the cable, put it back on with tab that sticks into to the tailgate to keep it from rotating. I only opened about a dozen times so far but it seems to be just fine and the cable isn't rotating against the paint.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two things I didn't understand. 1) what does the limiter do? 2) why remove it?

So, I slowly closed the tailgate and watched the cable with the limiter on. It controls the way the cable folds up when you close the tailgate. It points the cable (tailgate end) towards the truck when you lift the tailgate. If you remove the limiter the metal loop of the cable now rotates against the paint and I didn't like that. So I broke the tab off the limiter that sticks out for the cable, put it back on with tab that sticks into to the tailgate to keep it from rotating. I only opened about a dozen times so far but it seems to be just fine and the cable isn't rotating against the paint.

hmmmm....I have a new Ram now and I bought another tailgate assist that I'm going to install when it gets warmer. I like what you did. If you would be willing, could you take a pic so I have a better visual?

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
hmmmm....I have a new Ram now and I bought another tailgate assist that I'm going to install when it gets warmer. I like what you did. If you would be willing, could you take a pic so I have a better visual?

Yeah, I'll try to get one tomorrow during the daylight.

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Funny I was reading this post!! The other day I had my brand new Ram truck hooked up to my enclosed trailer and I needed to drop my tailgate but my left hand already had something I was carrying and as I was opening the tailgate with my right the weight of the tailgate slipped and slammed on top of my crank handle!! F@@@@!!!!! Luckily it only slightly dented the top of the tailgate protective and did not dent the new tailgate!! Man was I glad!! Today went and ordered the Dee Zee!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Funny I was reading this post!! The other day I had my brand new Ram truck hooked up to my enclosed trailer and I needed to drop my tailgate but my left hand already had something I was carrying and as I was opening the tailgate with my right the weight of the tailgate slipped and slammed on top of my crank handle!! F@@@@!!!!! Luckily it only slightly dented the top of the tailgate protective and did not dent the new tailgate!! Man was I glad!! Today went and ordered the Dee Zee!

and that is why we get the thing:

To prevent the full weight of the tailgate from smashing down . . . . and to make it a one handed operation to open the tailgate.

Glad to hear your tailgate did not get ruined!

pkrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
and that is why we get the thing:

To prevent the full weight of the tailgate from smashing down . . . . and to make it a one handed operation to open the tailgate.

Glad to hear your tailgate did not get ruined!

And this is why I love forums!