Deep rumble got even deeper after oil change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lryr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just got my first oil change after traveling around all summer in my 2019 Ram Classic with 5.7L engine. After the oil change was completed I noticed that the deep rumble got even deeper and louder. My wife even noticed it. Is it anything I should be concerned with? The truck has 58K miles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did they check your air filter and not close the cover ? Or remove air filter and not replace it ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
try posting a vid with audio...

OP
OP
L

lryr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you 06 Dodge and WildOne. You hit the nail on the head, the oil change crew didn't put the air filter cover on correctly. I corrected it and it now sounds normal.

OP
OP
L

lryr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am curious. What does not answering right away say about me? I travel and just got back.

OP
OP
L

lryr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have another question. I would say that 70% of the miles I put on my truck are highway miles traveling 75 to 85 MPH (gotta love Texas). When not in extremely hilly area I average 22 to 23 MPH while in ECO and/or MDS. I currently have 58K miles on my truck. Would you say that using MDS will prematurely wear my manifold bolts and associated lifters because of this condition? I am getting mixed signals as to whether the problem is initiated by excesive idle or at high speed using MDS. The problem as I understand it is reduced oil distribution to the MDS cylinders, lifters and CAMs. I have an 85K bumper to bumper warranty so it takes the heat off for a bit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have another question. I would say that 70% of the miles I put on my truck are highway miles traveling 75 to 85 MPH (gotta love Texas). When not in extremely hilly area I average 22 to 23 MPH while in ECO and/or MDS. I currently have 58K miles on my truck. Would you say that using MDS will prematurely wear my manifold bolts and associated lifters because of this condition? I am getting mixed signals as to whether the problem is initiated by excesive idle or at high speed using MDS. The problem as I understand it is reduced oil distribution to the MDS cylinders, lifters and CAMs. I have an 85K bumper to bumper warranty so it takes the heat off for a bit.
Odds are the engine isn't going into MDS mode very often at 85 mph except maybe on downhills.

OP
OP
L

lryr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think I have seen enough YouTube videos on the Lifter Tick and oil pressure issue on Hemi engines. I am leaning towards believing excessive idle time is the main problem and not the MDS at high speed. I am feeling better about my 2019 Ram. I bought it used with 14K miles on it s couple of years ago and have maintained the oil pretty religiously since then. I highly recommend the REIGNITE channel on YouTube. He is a former Chrysler mechanic working on them for about 12 years.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manifold bolts have nothing to do with the lifter issues. They just make a (somewhat) similar sound. I don't think anyone ever came up with any way to avoid the manifold bolts failing.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I am curious. What does not answering right away say about me? I travel and just got back.
It could have indicated you were a troll and came here to make one post to stir up S, then leave. Someone who asks an outlandish question just for effect to get folks worked up then is never heard from again.

Your follow up questions prove your not one however. Welcome to Ramforum. Glad you found the issue and it was a simple fix.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Couple things here, Wild One is right but more so because MDS is disabled above 80mph. MDS actually sends more oil to the lifters when enabled not less. As for your manifold bolt question, I dont think MDS ever stays active that long to make a big temperature difference in the motor. The warping manifolds come from the aluminum block and cast iron manifolds heating and cooling at different rates. If you are worried about it and plan on keeping your truck just swap in some headers and you will be set.