deep scratches, all over truck, will insurance repaint whole truck or touch up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
Some one vandliez my truck all over will the insurance repaint whole truck or just cover scratch, they are deep all the way to metal?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some one vandliez my truck all over will the insurance repaint whole truck or just cover scratch, they are deep all the way to metal?
It all depends on your insurance and how many scratches there are. In some cases it's easier to just paint the whole truck because they would have to blend in every panel anyway. It's also harder to prep areas that are scratched all the way to the metal because it would all need to be sanded and then feathered in and filled so the the repairs wouldn't be visible. If it's as bad as I think your describing and on every panel I'm thinking there is a chance they would paint the whole truck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I think it depends on what the paint shop says. They'll tell the ins co what it costs to touch up vs repaint. Then it's a matter of $$.

I have found when using the ins co's recommended shop the best solution recommended by the shop, even if it costs more, is accepted by the ins co.

For example: I had a rear tire blow and it tore up the passenger side rear bed panel. The ins person wrote up a fix that was repairing the panel and touch up paint. When their recommended shop got the truck they said need to replace the panel (not repair it), plus found exhaust system damage, rear stop light damage, and brake line damage. Ins co accepted the shop's recommendation without question. The estimate went from 2150.00 to 5880.00 but ins co didn't balk one bit.

Had a very similar experience with another truck. Of course, the ins co's recommended shop needs to be a good one. In both my cases it was the same shop and it has an excellent reputation.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Big question is what color is your truck and what condition was it in before the vandalism? Ins company will pay to restore it to pre-loss condition and that's all. If it has any UPD (unrelated prior damage i.e. dents/dings/rust/scrapes) not related to the loss it's coming out of your pocket unless you cut a deal with the shop. If it's white or a straight color it's probably repair / repaint the damaged panels vs complete repaint unless every panel is damaged. All depends on the truck / the company / you /the adjuster and the shop.

OP
OP
jerboy

jerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
Thanks for the reply, the color is red and it was scratched on every panel including the hood.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a buddy his insurance is paying to repaint his 19 bullit due to fallout that got stuck in his paint/under the clear on the hood/roof/trunk.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A friends vehicle was struck by another vehicle in rear end
The insurance company was called & the owner was told to go to a certain body shop.
The owner read reviews on that body shop & did not like the shops Rating.
They went to a shop that they knew & that shop also handled insurance claims.

The body shop was repairing the damage & found other things that the insurance adjuster had not written up.
Everything that was found damaged was accepted by the insurance company, even a fuel leak, or i should say fuel vapor leak that may or may not have been caused by the accident

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they even cover it being vandalized?I know my bike insur. doesn't cover it.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Do they even cover it being vandalized?I know my bike insur. doesn't cover it.

Good catch... some insurance companies deny vandalism straight up as there's no other party to go after for the loss.

If your insurance company denies the claim and you have no idea who did this you're in the wind here.

Filing under homeowners insurance wouldn't likely be financially feasible as most deductible's are 1% which may exceed the cost of paying to repaint.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Most all vehicle insurance companies cover vandalism if the policyholder has comprehensive insurance. While insurers like to have another party to subrogate against and collect money from it's not essential to settling the claim and has no effect on the insured. No different than flood, hail, animals, Etc where there's no one to collect from although some carriers might try to go after state for deer. Most homeowners policies exclude claims to any registered vehicle with some exceptions being personal contents left in a vehicle and damages caused by a covered loss of the residence, fire, explosion and some others. Every company has exceptions/ exclusions and all policy language is written differently from company to company. In reality it is usually better to bundle your insurance coverages so they overlap.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If insurance don't have anyone to go after hopefully KARMA gets the "COWARD" that vandalized!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had my 2009 Ram vandalized
Whoever did it also got 3 other vehicles & 2 buildings

I didn't have Renters Insurance, that would have covered it.
I did have $1,000,000 Commercial Auto full coverage, but the insurance agent hinted that my annual cost would go up & that it would count against the policy.

It happened during the night on a Friday, i called the body shop that i use & they were closed, the shop owner asked an employee if he wanted to do a side job at the shop. The shop owner said that i should get there ASAP.

83en.jpg
ra2e.jpg

1wqg.jpg

Luckily the paint had not had a chance to set, it was cloudy that morning.
One car had about 4 times as much green paint on it, it also had words written all over it, that i can't post in here

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I had my 2009 Ram vandalized
Whoever did it also got 3 other vehicles & 2 buildings

I didn't have Renters Insurance, that would have covered it.
I did have $1,000,000 Commercial Auto full coverage, but the insurance agent hinted that my annual cost would go up & that it would count against the policy.

It happened during the night on a Friday, i called the body shop that i use & they were closed, the shop owner asked an employee if he wanted to do a side job at the shop. The shop owner said that i should get there ASAP.

83en.jpg
ra2e.jpg

1wqg.jpg

Luckily the paint had not had a chance to set, it was cloudy that morning.
One car had about 4 times as much green paint on it, it also had words written all over it, that i can't post in here
Don't understand what pleasure a jerk gets out of doing that to other peoples property but hopefully it never happens to me. If I see it, I'm going to jail! I won't play well if I see some punk destroying something I worked hard all my life to get! I hope I can control myself!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my experience, a lot of these cases are either a pissed-off ex-wife, boyfriend or depending on where you're at, both. Sorry for your damaged truck--hope your insurance pays for it. Complete paint jobs ain't cheap--especially if it's a "quality" shop
Jay

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most all vehicle insurance companies cover vandalism if the policyholder has comprehensive insurance. While insurers like to have another party to subrogate against and collect money from it's not essential to settling the claim and has no effect on the insured. No different than flood, hail, animals, Etc where there's no one to collect from although some carriers might try to go after state for deer. Most homeowners policies exclude claims to any registered vehicle with some exceptions being personal contents left in a vehicle and damages caused by a covered loss of the residence, fire, explosion and some others. Every company has exceptions/ exclusions and all policy language is written differently from company to company. In reality it is usually better to bundle your insurance coverages so they overlap.
I have full jamb on the bike and it still doesn't cover vandalism.Cages may be different.I have full jamb on the truck as well but I've never checked on this.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have full jamb on the bike and it still doesn't cover vandalism.Cages may be different.I have full jamb on the truck as well but I've never checked on this.

Looks like you're in Canada so I'll have to clarify my post. Everything I wrote about was for US insurance companies. It was quite an education when I learned here on the Forum about "Public Auto Insurance" in Canada and how it operates in the different Provinces.

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My girl says it should be under comprehensive coverage, and they'd more than likely just repaint the whole truck. Depends on your plan/deductible. (Shes in insurance)

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like you're in Canada so I'll have to clarify my post. Everything I wrote about was for US insurance companies. It was quite an education when I learned here on the Forum about "Public Auto Insurance" in Canada and how it operates in the different Provinces.
Not Public in Ontario.