DEF additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BASSCATLILDAVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw where there is a DEF additive. I had a customer ask for some the other day and I've never heard of it. I see Rislone 4780 is the part number.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hard to find because most people know it'll do more harm than good. If it does any good at all.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That site that i posted, reads that the water is just a carrier.
It evaporates when it sprays into the heat of the exhaust system.
Then the actual chemicals break down & do what they are designed to do

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I saw where there is a DEF additive. I had a customer ask for some the other day and I've never heard of it. I see Rislone 4780 is the part number.
I think there is a facet of people that are addicted to the word "additive". They, for whatever reason, just seem to need to use it. I'm not saying additives are bad but not always needed either. DEF is a very specific formula of deionized water and 32.5% Urea. Adding an additive would change the very precise DEF recipe.

zrock

Reaction score
like said above snake oil... As a parts person you should know this, i would never recommend or even give the customer the idea i would look into it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think there is a facet of people that are addicted to the word "additive". They, for whatever reason, just seem to need to use it. I'm not saying additives are bad but not always needed either. DEF is a very specific formula of deionized water and 32.5% Urea. Adding an additive would change the very precise DEF recipe.
I have a neighbor that just bought a baby Duramax. He has a 'friend' who keeps selling him 'home made DEF,' and he's offered it to me.

Since he's been using it, he's been getting a lot of CELs that all have to do with his exhaust/DEF system, and he keeps just having it shut off - at the dealership. He keeps turning down any work that they say they want to do.

Needless to say I've turned him down and won't put the stuff in my truck. I'll stick with Blue, thanks.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Needing DEF one thing. Home made brew put into these PITA systems, now that is another thing, and an additive? Hmmmmmmmm. Well, each of us owns our trucks (---- finance company, lol), and that be a personal decision. Since I no longer have a diesel, not a decision that is associated to me.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use the Blue platinum and would never add anything to it nor use a home made brew

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use the Blue platinum and would never add anything to it nor use a home made brew
Yeah that was kinda my point - stick with a good DEF, and don't add an additive to it. I'd say it's okay to add Diesel Kleen or some other anti-gel additive to your fuel in the winter, Cetane Boost if you can't get good diesel, and Diesel 911 if you DO gel up...but otherwise there isn't much additive I'd add to a modern diesel fuel either.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
any DEF should be good as is, brand name should not matter

But ... i have heard more Cons than Pros, when it comes to BLUE DEF Platinum
MSDS only shows WATER & UREA

Maybe some users are confused between
DEF
&
DPF

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
any DEF should be good as is, brand name should not matter

But ... i have heard more Cons than Pros, when it comes to BLUE DEF Platinum
MSDS only shows WATER & UREA

Maybe some users are confused between
DEF
&
DPF

I would be interested to hear the cons. its all i have been running and so far, no issues

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
All DEF has to be 32.5% Urea, DEF is DEF, so don't understand why so many spend more buying one brand over another or even the so called Blue Platinum when cheap Walmart or Kroger brand does the same as Def Blue an it a lot cost less, you just need to be sure your not buying old stock by checking the manufactured date and never buy a box of Def stetting out in the sun at the fuel island like I see every summer as heat shortens is life...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What are the ingredients in BlueDEF PLATINUM?

BlueDEF PLATINUM with advanced SYSTEM SHIELD technology is a mixture of high purity synthetic urea, deionized water and our proprietary additive package manufactured under ISO 22241 guidelines to ensure product quality.

MSDS shows nothing besides water & Urea

RV forum member wrote
Curious if anyone has been using the new Platinum DEF. Their marketing seems to make sense. However, I saw on a GM diesel forum that it is not recommended for Duramax System

another reply to above:
32-33% synthetic urea
67-68% distilled water
?? proprietary additive

Other than an additive to reduce deposits same ole DEF

Write Up on DEF issues in general, DEF causes deposits ......
so , maybe additives should be used ??

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
On the other hand, one diesel owner stated that, if you do not think that the DEF Platinum works to eliminate the deposits.

You can see for yourself which CLEANS better, by looking at the DEF Injector, both before & after using regular DEF & DEF with Platinum

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On the other hand, one diesel owner stated that, if you do not think that the DEF Platinum works to eliminate the deposits.

You can see for yourself which CLEANS better, by looking at the DEF Injector, both before & after using regular DEF & DEF with Platinum

Its really not that much more $$, so for me if it makes a difference awesome, if it doesn't cool. we pay more for insurance and never need it. so platinum it is

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Its really not that much more $$, so for me if it makes a difference awesome, if it doesn't cool. we pay more for insurance and never need it. so platinum it is
Where I'm at Wally Def is $9.98, Blue Platinum is $29.99 when not on sale & plain Blue Def. is $17.00, if I did not live a 50 minute drive from the Pilot truck stop would buy it at the pump, I know of hot shot owner who put almost 489K on one truck, 390K on another both used truck stop Def with no reported Def deposits.. If a person was really worried about deposit you could always use something like Rislone Def treatment that claims to get reduce deposits for $15.00 an still save a few $$

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Where I'm at Wally Def is $9.98, Blue Platinum is $29.99 when not on sale & plain Blue Def. is $17.00, if I did not live a 50 minute drive from the Pilot truck stop would buy it at the pump, I know of hot shot owner who put almost 489K on one truck, 390K on another both used truck stop Def with no reported Def deposits.. If a person was really worried about deposit you could always use something like Rislone Def treatment that claims to get reduce deposits for $15.00 an still save a few $$
Yes, it's really not that much money..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357