Diamondback bed cover or Roll N Lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's the wife's truck and she likes the Roll N Lock but I kind of like the Diamondback better. I was just wondering how heavy is the diamondback lid and how easy it is to open and close?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They got shocks dude, just touch them they open. I love them, if I was gonna get a cover that is what I'd get. But, happy wife, happy life.

shocks diamond back

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They got shocks dude, just touch them they open. I love them, if I was gonna get a cover that is what I'd get. But, happy wife, happy life.
She'll still be happy, but I have to pull rank from time to time. She will be able to pull the lid shut no problem? What model did you get?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Click the link, the shock also limits the height unless you click off the shock. Show her that, maybe she will like it. If I was gonna get one, I'd get the line X one. I just havent had use for one for my needs.

I was shopping one when I was living in city, but now I'm in the country and there isnt a need for me. A camper shell would be a better choice for me.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's the wife's truck and she likes the Roll N Lock but I kind of like the Diamondback better. I was just wondering how heavy is the diamondback lid and how easy it is to open and close?

I have no experience with diamondback covers but experienced a few other types of covers during dive trips on a buddy's truck. For my use, I don't like solid or folding covers because accessing gear in the front of the box is a PITA.

On my buddy's F150, the folding cover was a two-man job or two-handed for one person while standing on the ground. My Roll N Lock is always a one-person operation.

Also, the folding cover collected water and became very heavy to open and close, especially during the winter. I supposed there's not too much risk of freezing solid in Florida. :cool:

I'm on my second Roll N Lock and have used them on my trucks since 2007. They require no effort to fully or partially open, can be locked partially opened, and are great for security when closed.

I have no experience with realtruck.com which now owns Roll N Lock.

They are suitable for my needs.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have no experience with diamondback covers but experienced a few other types of covers during dive trips on a buddy's truck. For my use, I don't like solid or folding covers because accessing gear in the front of the box is a PITA.

On my buddy's F150, the folding cover was a two-man job or two-handed for one person while standing on the ground. My Roll N Lock is always a one-person operation.

Also, the folding cover collected water and became very heavy to open and close, especially during the winter. I supposed there's not too much risk of freezing solid in Florida. :cool:

I'm on my second Roll N Lock and have used them on my trucks since 2007. They require no effort to fully or partially open, can be locked partially opened, and are great for security when closed.

I have no experience with realtruck.com which now owns Roll N Lock.

They are suitable for my needs.
Just so you have the info, click the link I had in first post if you are interested. Both sides diamond back are very easy to open like one finger, plus they even have covers that open from the sides as an option. They fixed a lot of issues earlier models had, plus you can park two atv's on them, kinda cool?

dia.jpg
74e7a7c94e6ce5e052b113c4aa6ad85b.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This guy even sent his cover back because he didnt like the tie downs. I think he blew it, I like the tie downs but whatever. Good review here, makes me rethink getting one to be honest..

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unless you plan to load stuff on top of the cover I'd go rollnlock. Just so easy to acess the whole bed. You do lose a bit of space up front due to the box that contains it rolled, but still a decent amount of space below it at the front of the bed and a bit of taper on the back of it to get quads or other stuff a bit tighter to the front. Go to the nursery and get dirt or mulch dumped in no problem long loads are easier tuck 2x4s and plywood under the box to the front of the bed and I can still strap fuel cans or smaller items on top of the containment box with the pop up tie downs I installed and long loads on top resting on the box in front plus the tailgate works fine. I have a couple 2x4s cut to lenth to go across the box If I'm worried about weight in the centre. Feel like the diamondback is a solid build, but more restrictive on box usage unless you're using the top as a deck in which case I'd opt for a headache rack and sled deck for toys up top and gear below. Headache rack is handy for longer stuff like kayaks to get tied down over the roof instead of hanging out back. Can also add a crossbar out back for pipe etc

OP
OP
W

Weekiman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This guy even sent his cover back because he didnt like the tie downs. I think he blew it, I like the tie downs but whatever. Good review here, makes me rethink getting one to be honest..

I'm watching it now. I'm just wondering if I want the HD or SE.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just so you have the info, click the link I had in first post if you are interested. Both sides diamond back are very easy to open like one finger, plus they even have covers that open from the sides as an option. They fixed a lot of issues earlier models had, plus you can park two atv's on them, kinda cool?

That looks like an awesome unit, although, I'm not sold on parking a couple of 4 wheelers on top. :cool:

I can see how that system could work very well for many but, unfortunately, it wouldn't be practical for my use.

I need to be able to climb into the box to pickup heavy gear that's held in place with webbing cam straps.

And, I often stand in the back of my truck to don and doff my insulation and drysuit.

Otherwise, I like the look of it and might recommend it to others. :cool:

Here's another task that I often complete that might be a PITA with a diamondback.

20240118_170844.jpg

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back in 2016, i installed the cover on my Ram by myself, that was a bit more than 7 years ago, i am 80 years old now.
The folds are sort of heavy because i am lifting from my shoulder height, if i was 6 foot tall, they would lift easier

1711587034455.png

1711587127854.png

1711587188357.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat