Did I break something ? Shifting too fast? Possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s the Strut, If it was the cv boot, Oil would be everywhere.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Awesome. Thanks guys!

This doesn’t answer my original concern but I’ll add it to my list ha ha ha ha.

My last oil change was 10K kilometres ago. It wouldn’t be from a messy oil change

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That’s definitely not the cv because the boots have grease in them not oil, there’s a axel seal at the end of cv to keep the tranny oil in. That oily stuff is either from strut or something spilled.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s definitely not the cv because the boots have grease in them not oil, there’s a axel seal at the end of cv to keep the tranny oil in. That oily stuff is either from strut or something spilled.

When grease gets hot it turns to liquid just like oil, and when it gets old, it separates into liquids & solids.

Axle seals leak...

and only 10 km (6 miles)....that could definitely be from an oil change spill.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
When grease gets hot it turns to liquid just like oil, and when it gets old, it separates into liquids & solids.

Axle seals leak...

True, but it will still look a lot thicker than just oil. I’ve had a cv leak and it looked a lot like grease and grease splatter in the area. Not like oil at all.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Axle seals leak...

Typo. 10k kilometres

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Here are more pics of driver side. This time from the front

85ced03d5f46731be65eb927da0f46fb.jpg
5556ad7e8d7f2048fa26a313bdd7cf05.jpg

Looks like the strut is leaking

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L
Mod list: Pedal Commander, AVS Vent shades, Solo Delete kit, molar side step rails

FCA Master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting this us mentioned.

My truck feels "choppy" when backing up an incline. I just figured it was losing traction, but it does kind of feel like what op was describing happening to his truck.

I haven't felt it going forward, incline or not. Only moving in reverse. No evidence of fluid leaks, though. Does the star case have any other symptoms I should look for?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If there is a trans leak your shift issues will escalate as you lose fluid.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If there is a trans leak your shift issues will escalate as you lose fluid.

Well, I figure if something like a transmission we’re to blow up on me I’d rather it happen now lol. The fluid didn’t look red so I think I’m ok that way.

It’s bugging me though. I’ll call in the AM and see what they say.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The oily stain is nowhere near the axel seal! If a boot ripped, it wouldn’t look like that, there would be grease everywhere like stated.

Never said nor implied that was the source....only responding to your previous post which implied an axle seal can't leak, and that grease doesn't separate into liquid & solids.

And a CV boot doesn't have to tear to leak...if the oil separates, the fluid part can leak out around the shaft. Seen it and fixed several times.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Update:

Called the dealer. They said drop it off. No guarantee they’ll look at It today. They’re booking Thursday Friday. So I said what am I suppose to do thill than ? Drive around with a truck leaking oil? Annnnnd crickets.

Robert Haley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed similar symptoms in my new 2017 RAM 1500 4x4. If I get in a hurry in any direction I may get a similar vibration and it feels like it's slipping. I'm having random vibration issues too but no one seems to know what is causing any of it. It's been to the dealership twice. The second time they found a snap ring not properly seated on the left front drive axle. That fixed a major vibration issue but not the random one. I would like to know what you find out with yours. I have no leaks.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed similar symptoms in my new 2017 RAM 1500 4x4. If I get in a hurry in any direction I may get a similar vibration and it feels like it's slipping. I'm having random vibration issues too but no one seems to know what is causing any of it. It's been to the dealership twice. The second time they found a snap ring not properly seated on the left front drive axle. That fixed a major vibration issue but not the random one. I would like to know what you find out with yours. I have no leaks.

What does your random vibration feel like? Does the steering wheel visibly shake or do you just "feel" it, like in the gas pedal, floorpan, steering wheel, etc?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I figure if something like a transmission we’re to blow up on me I’d rather it happen now lol. The fluid didn’t look red so I think I’m ok that way.

As I read through this thread I believe you said this vehicle had the ZF 8-speed transmission. If so, be advised that the fluid is not red.

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 075785 miles.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
As I read through this thread I believe you said this vehicle had the ZF 8-speed transmission. If so, be advised that the fluid is not red.

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 075785 miles.

I thought it was!! Wiped up more today. I have an appointment Thursday. See what they say. The oil to me look very dark and dirty. I checked my oil few days ago and it still looked fairly healthy and not like this stuff on my driveway 4d433c536c99d679aac62ccff39b8084.jpg

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, what was the verdict?

Front driver shock. They’re only replacing one. They didn’t have parts in stock so booking app next week. Hopefully it’s not driving with a blown shock

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Glad to hear it will be an easy fix. And now we know, thanks for the update.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Glad to hear it will be an easy fix. And now we know, thanks for the update.

No worries. I forgot to be honest.