Did this today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got bored and wanted to progress the black out of my truck, so I decided to get out the old headlights and paint them black. Just followed Matt99's old write up and it was very simple. Took me only a few hours. Anyway, this is the result. (Still not clean).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Also, while I'm at it, if anyone has any good ideas for a good hood (SRT style or otherwise) I'd love to get your input. Same goes for grilles. I know I want a black grille but I'm also thinking about a black hood as well. Any opinions on the matter? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny

devans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lights came out great.
About the black hood. Personally (if I understand correctly) I think an all black hood on a overall red truck wouldn't look good. Consider doing black accents on a red hood. If you go with the SRT hood for example, go black from the scoop opening to the back of the hood. Maybe throw in some accent stripes like you have in one of your pictures already.
If you go that route then you'd probably want to go with a red body matched grill shell instead of black.
Just some random thoughts. Your truck is looking real good.

OP
OP
Ethan0524

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
picture.php

Had some left over Plasti Dip and some down time today so I got up and PD'd the grille black to see how it would look. I like it but I still want to get a whole different grille. I'm also trying to decide if I should paint the step bars or take them off, I'm eventually going to get some Go Rhino Dominator step bars in black and attempt to sell these somewhere. Devans, I like the idea of an orange SRT hood with black scoop, I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks for the input guys! Any other suggestions for cosmetics are still appreciated.

devans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ops did I say red? I meant orange, yeah that's what I meant. Lols.
I can't take credit for the hood paint scheme, I've seen it before on a few other trucks and it just looks real sharp. Looking at your PD'd grill and picturing your truck with the SRT hood like I suggested I think it could work.
Another paint scheme I thought looked good was rally stripes on a black truck but the stripes were an off shade of black and just noticeable. Sort of the stripe version of ghost flames.
Probably wouldn't work as well with the SRT hood though.
I wish I could remember whose trucks I've seen these on because I would give them the credit they deserve. Maybe they will chime in.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
picture.php

Had some left over Plasti Dip and some down time today so I got up and PD'd the grille black to see how it would look. I like it but I still want to get a whole different grille. I'm also trying to decide if I should paint the step bars or take them off, I'm eventually going to get some Go Rhino Dominator step bars in black and attempt to sell these somewhere. Devans, I like the idea of an orange SRT hood with black scoop, I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks for the input guys! Any other suggestions for cosmetics are still appreciated.

Your plasti dip came out great! I use it a lot as well. Are your bumpers plasti dipped?

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Those lights look great, I desperately need to do the same thing... you have the link for the write up?

I LOVE my factory OEM SRT Hood... got it from a dealer

I also just picked this grill up (06 08 Dodge RAM 1500 Black Mesh Package Billet Grille | eBay). Got it in the other day, and it is very good quality, headed into paint tomorrow.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
OP
OP
Ethan0524

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your plasti dip came out great! I use it a lot as well. Are your bumpers plasti dipped?

Yeah, pretty much everything black on my truck is plasti dip. I like the way it looks, but it's just to hold me over till I can save up to get the parts I want. Will be quite some time though.

OP
OP
Ethan0524

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those lights look great, I desperately need to do the same thing... you have the link for the write up?

I also just picked this grill up (06 08 Dodge RAM 1500 Black Mesh Package Billet Grille | eBay). Got it in the other day, and it is very good quality, headed into paint tomorrow.

AK_Armendariz beat me to the link, but on a side note, just got done checking out your pics of your truck...you have a freakin' sweet rig!

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
Yeah, pretty much everything black on my truck is plasti dip. I like the way it looks, but it's just to hold me over till I can save up to get the parts I want. Will be quite some time though.

How did you get the plastic dip to go on so perfect. I taped off everything and had the hardest time trying to get the tape off and as a result I screwed up the plastidip.

OP
OP
Ethan0524

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you get the plastic dip to go on so perfect. I taped off everything and had the hardest time trying to get the tape off and as a result I screwed up the plastidip.

Honestly, I didn't tape anything off. I just sprayed the wheels with no tape offs, I pulled off the orange bumper cover and sprayed all the chrome, and the rear bumper had nothing taped off I just sprayed and had a paper towel in my hand that I used to catch the over spray. The tape sticking to the plasti dip is the exact reason I didn't tape anything off.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
Honestly, I didn't tape anything off. I just sprayed the wheels with no tape offs, I pulled off the orange bumper cover and sprayed all the chrome, and the rear bumper had nothing taped off I just sprayed and had a paper towel in my hand that I used to catch the over spray. The tape sticking to the plasti dip is the exact reason I didn't tape anything off.

Okay ill be sure to take the panel off for the front bumper... How many coats did you use?

OP
OP
Ethan0524

Ethan0524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay ill be sure to take the panel off for the front bumper... How many coats did you use?

I did 3 light coats to get it even and the 3 heavy coats so its nice and smooth. I did that for everything, including the wheels. I was kinda thinking about putting some glossifier on it to shine it up a bit, but I've never seen it used.

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
I did 3 light coats to get it even and the 3 heavy coats so its nice and smooth. I did that for everything, including the wheels. I was kinda thinking about putting some glossifier on it to shine it up a bit, but I've never seen it used.

I have used the glossifier and it honestly doesn't really seem to work.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins

Just be careful putting tape on the chrome, it pulls off very easily
Stick the tape to your shirt first so it isnt as tacky/strong

I have used the glossifier and it honestly doesn't really seem to work.

Glossifier is weird, if you spray it heavy it works ok