Diesel Particulate Filter--How Long Do They Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I have a 5th Gen 2019 High Output with nearly 20K miles. In between long distance city trips (which sometimes are very few), I do a lot of in town driving but when the regen starts I do take it out on the highway until it's complete. What may be expected in terms of lifespan of the DPF?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 5th Gen 2019 High Output with nearly 20K miles. In between long distance city trips (which sometimes are very few), I do a lot of in town driving but when the regen starts I do take it out on the highway until it's complete. What may be expected in terms of lifespan of the DPF?
Interesting question. There is no one answer because how the vehicle is used plays a significant role in the emissions system's lifetime.

I put a Banks iDash Data Monster on my ECODiesel because I want to understand the strategy of the regens. It appears a passive regeneration is used throughout the drive cycles but then, on my vehicle, every 900 or so miles the system goes into an active regen that takes about 12 minutes to complete and it can do it driving in city traffic.

After an active regen, the soot load goes down to near zero but slowly climbs back up where it will hold in the low 60% range until the next active regen. Apparently, the passive regen has some intelligence to it, at least it appears it does.

I did some searching on passive versus active regens and got quite the education. The current strategies should allow the emission system to last the life of the vehicle on par with catalytic converters. A lot of emission system maturing has happened since the old days (like 2007).

I've read on the Cummins forums there are hots hotters out there with a lot of miles (500K +) that didn't have emission system issues.

Last edited:

Gary Hogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got a 2019 as well and am having issues with my DPF filter and frequent regens at 43K miles. I have been researching this topic. You may want to listen to The Diesel Podcast with Patrick Ellis. They are saying many DPF filters are failing prematurely and that the OE's consider it "aged" by 150K miles. I'm not pleased. And it's not RAMs, it's all three. Also I've watched videos by a heavy diesel mechanic and they are having the very same issues with the big rigs. If you're not aware, these DPF filters are EXPENSIVE! Thanks EPA and politicians.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I've got a 2019 as well and am having issues with my DPF filter and frequent regens at 43K miles. I have been researching this topic. You may want to listen to The Diesel Podcast with Patrick Ellis. They are saying many DPF filters are failing prematurely and that the OE's consider it "aged" by 150K miles. I'm not pleased. And it's not RAMs, it's all three. Also I've watched videos by a heavy diesel mechanic and they are having the very same issues with the big rigs. If you're not aware, these DPF filters are EXPENSIVE! Thanks EPA and politicians.

Yeah, I've heard they're about $3,000

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Interesting question. There is no one answer because how the vehicle is used plays a significant role in the emissions system's lifetime.

I put a Banks iDash Data Monster on my ECODiesel because I want to understand the strategy of the regens. It appears a passive regeneration is used throughout the drive cycles but then, on my vehicle, every 900 or so miles the system goes into an active regen that takes about 12 minutes to complete and it can do it driving in city traffic.

After an active regen, the soot load goes down to near zero but slowly climbs back up where it will hold in the low 60% range until the next active regen. Apparently, the passive regen has some intelligence to it, at least it appears it does.

I did some searching on passive versus active regens and got quite the education. The current strategies should allow the emission system to last the life of the vehicle on par with catalytic converters. A lot of emission system maturing has happened since the old days (like 2007).

I've read on the Cummins forums there are hots hotters out there with a lot of miles (500K +)that did have emission system issues.
Nice write up man, I've got allot of regen knowledge myself from so many years driving commercial so its nice to see such a technical explanation. :waytogo:
I've been considering the i dash, was it worth it ?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've been considering the i dash, was it worth it ?
The iDash is a hard hit on the pocketbook but it has convenience. I was in the right place at the right time and picked it up for 10% off directly from Banks.

There are other solutions out there that run on a phone or tablet. I use the Torque app on a tablet on my 2015 Cummins.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

I've read on the Cummins forums there are hots hotters out there with a lot of miles (500K +) that didn't have emission system issues.

This is about it - there's not really a 'solid' answer on this because how you drive basically dictates the lifetime, much like every other part on a vehicle.

6.4 Hemis have a reputation for puking their lifters before 100k miles, some as low as 40k. My 2017 had 102k on it, and when they did a partial teardown (valve covers off, plugs out, bore scope, etc/etc) trying to figure out a rough-running (then no-start) condition they found no wear/play in my valvetrain. I drive about 60 miles per day at 55 mph back and forth to work.

6.4 Powerstrokes have a reputation for being grenades. My dad has something like 300k on his, and the only thing that's EVER been replaced besides oil and tires is the radiator, because the original design (and then first re-design) tended to have the tanks at either end crack and start to leak. Heck he even still has his original DPF on it. He still drives it about 30 miles back and forth to work every day.

The old 6.2 diesel GM used in the 80's didn't really have a bad rap, other than being underpowered. The one my dad had was replaced (4) different times, each time at about 50k miles. Once because the rear main dropped out, once because a glow plug broke off and grenaded a piston and sent a rod through the side of the block, once because he noticed a major lower-end noise and found the 3rd and 4th mains were no longer part of the block...and I can't remember what the 4th time was. My point is, based on that experience, he ended up with a 454-powered truck after that, that he took to almost 300k miles.

Back in the 90's, Mopar got a black eye because their transmissions tended to not last more than 60k. However, I know several people who owned some vehicles from back then who never once had transmission issues, and ran up toward 200k miles.

It is partially 'luck of the draw' - there are definitely some vehicles out there that get bad components. But there's a lot to be said about how you drive and care for a vehicle. If you don't hot-rod everywhere, and keep on top of your maintenance, there's a strong chance the vehicle is going to last you quite a while.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's definitely in how you drive them. Both my 2012 and 2016 Rams saw just about 120k miles before the DPF failed. My driving habits never changed between the two so I started anticipating a DPF failure on my 2016 before it happened.

I drove them to/from work every day (about 24-30 miles each way... all interstate), quick trips around town and then 2 weekends a month they were towing fifth wheels anywhere from 100-400 miles away. It gave the truck a good chance to stretch its legs.

When I worked for the local Navistar/International dealership back in the early days of the DPF we saw a lot of failures, but we also saw trucks come in with well over 300k on the original DPF. It really depends on how it was used.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I've heard they're about $3,000
For the Ram they're in the $1,200-$1,500 ballpark now (DPF only). That doesn't account for the DEF tank, DEF pump, DEF injector, etc...

DEF Pump is ~$1,000
DEF tank is ~$1,900
DEF injector is ~$100

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
For the Ram they're in the $1,200-$1,500 ballpark now (DPF only). That doesn't account for the DEF tank, DEF pump, DEF injector, etc...

DEF Pump is ~$1,000
DEF tank is ~$1,900
DEF injector is ~$100
DEF tank $1,900? It's a 6 gallon plastic tank.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've seen them last 350K+ and I've seen them need replacement in as little as 20K. It's really a crap shoot. Driving habits may have a part in that but I've seen hard worked highway trucks have them fail as often as grocery getters so not sure I completely agree with that, at least the data doesn't always support that theory.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
The iDash is a hard hit on the pocketbook but it has convenience. I was in the right place at the right time and picked it up for 10% off directly from Banks.

There are other solutions out there that run on a phone or tablet. I use the Torque app on a tablet on my 2015 Cummins.
Tyvm sir

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
DEF tank $1,900? It's a 6 gallon plastic tank.
I wish it were 6 gallons. On my 2016, DEF gauge on E, 50 miles to limp mode and it won't take 2 x 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF. Overflows with about 1/2 quart left in the second jug. :mad:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wish it were 6 gallons. On my 2016, DEF gauge on E, 50 miles to limp mode and it won't take 2 x 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF. Overflows with about 1/2 quart left in the second jug. :mad:
They're 5.74 gallons to be precise. I think the rebel and tradesman have a slightly smaller tank (closer to 5 gallons) if i recall correctly.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
They're 5.74 gallons to be precise. I think the rebel and tradesman have a slightly smaller tank (closer to 5 gallons) if i recall correctly.
Which reminds me, I next to never look at the DEF gauge. It may be getting empty.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Which reminds me, I next to never look at the DEF gauge. It may be getting empty.
Ha! I've been keeping an eye on mine since it's new, and I don't know how quick it will go down. I've only filled it back up once, when it read 50%. Took most of a jug of Blue.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Ha! I've been keeping an eye on mine since it's new, and I don't know how quick it will go down. I've only filled it back up once, when it read 50%. Took most of a jug of Blue.
In the SW AZ summer heat, I take few if any 90 miles trips to Phoenix, so I don't go through much DEF at all. I checked. I am still a little over 1/2 tank.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Usage is depended on how hard you work the truck. Just unloaded driving won't use much at all, under heavy towing the consumption will go up. Work it hard = higher cylinder temps which = more Nox produced which = more DEF used (and EGR) to reduce the Nox output