Diesel Particulate Filter--How Long Do They Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Usage is depended on how hard you work the truck. Just unloaded driving won't use much at all, under heavy towing the consumption will go up. Work it hard = higher cylinder temps which = more Nox produced which = more DEF used (and EGR) to reduce the Nox output

That's a fact. Were full timers and when we are settled for awhile the gauge doesn't hardly move but once we hit the road with our big ole house in tow, this baby drinks it up like cool aid. I only buy it by the case , 2 - 2.5 gallon jugs per case and ill buy 2 cases, so 4 jugs, 2 for the tank and 2 for spares.
We're at 32,000 and dpf has run great so far, knock on wood.
Due to the way our truck works hard enough while towing , it will always keep itself regened automatically without me having to make any special driving trips. I can't remember when the last time was that the soot level got high enough
( without trailer attached) that the evic showed it needed to be regenerated and I had to get on the interstate to run it until the light went out. These 6.7 hohd are meant to be worked hard, they need it.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I recently discovered some black soot in my tailpipe, not much , but it’s there . 2014 3500 with 72k miles . Been told a possible cracked DPF . I will have to pull the tailpipe, and SCR to verify , if cracked I should be able to see some black soot , supposedly all you should see is some gray , no black .

I’ve had a few different words of advice , some say run it until it actually fails completely, and throws a code , others say get it replaced , it could possibly take the SCR with it . So a bit up in the air on what to do . Most likely I’ll at least inspect it . I’ve cleaned the tailpipe up as far as I can reach , and going to see if this continues first . But I’ve also been told that any black soot whatsoever in the tailpipe is a sure sign of a DPF on its way out .

So most likely I see more black soot in the tailpipe. Any advice or thoughts here on how to go about this , I’ll most likely do the work myself ? I am assuming all that needs replacing is the DPF , if the sensors will come out alright without being damaged . I know it has to be recalibrated , either by a dealer , or can be done with AlphaOBD . Any advice is welcome, thanks.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I recently discovered some black soot in my tailpipe, not much , but it’s there . 2014 3500 with 72k miles . Been told a possible cracked DPF . I will have to pull the tailpipe, and SCR to verify , if cracked I should be able to see some black soot , supposedly all you should see is some gray , no black .

I’ve had a few different words of advice , some say run it until it actually fails completely, and throws a code , others say get it replaced , it could possibly take the SCR with it . So a bit up in the air on what to do . Most likely I’ll at least inspect it . I’ve cleaned the tailpipe up as far as I can reach , and going to see if this continues first . But I’ve also been told that any black soot whatsoever in the tailpipe is a sure sign of a DPF on its way out .

So most likely I see more black soot in the tailpipe. Any advice or thoughts here on how to go about this , I’ll most likely do the work myself ? I am assuming all that needs replacing is the DPF , if the sensors will come out alright without being damaged . I know it has to be recalibrated , either by a dealer , or can be done with AlphaOBD . Any advice is welcome, thanks.

I don't know your state's laws, but if your state doesn't test for emissions, remove it completely and program the regen cycle (and sensors) out. It'll be a while before I'm out of warranty but once I am, as long as they don't change state laws, that's gone.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know your state's laws, but if your state doesn't test for emissions, remove it completely and program the regen cycle (and sensors) out. It'll be a while before I'm out of warranty but once I am, as long as they don't change state laws, that's gone.

I live in one that does test . I think there are many that want to delete . I don't want to sound critical here ,buts its illegal regardless whether they test or not . Some of these diesel forums even prevent discussions concerning deleting diesel trucks .

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
. Some of these diesel forums even prevent discussions concerning deleting diesel trucks .

That's because that particular forum was actually mentioned in a EPA case as a source for delete information (or something along those lines) so they have banned talk about it to keep them from getting shut down.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's because that particular forum was actually mentioned in a EPA case as a source for delete information (or something along those lines) so they have banned talk about it to keep them from getting shut down.

I suppose you can't blame them . I am not knowledgeable enough to really discuss the good or bad about the emissions we have on these trucks . Yes they are expensive to fix , and I am facing an expensive fix with the DPF on my truck . I will deal with it . My eyes were wide open when I purchased a diesel truck . It's hard to complain knowing what I was getting into in the first place . But doesn't make it any easier. I have no idea what happens if you get caught deleting , don't much care I am not going to do it .