Dirty exhaust tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
2016 1500 hemi. 95,000 mi. Around 85000 mi I removed and hand cleaned the throttle body to almost brand new. At the same time, I installed the catch can. I read somewhere on here that the catch can should eliminate the black buildup on the inside bottom of the exhaust tips. I cleaned the tips and over a couple months the buildup was there. I cleaned them again and same thing. I drained the catch can after a few thousand miles and it was about an inch or so of liquid inside a regular 16oz plastic water bottle. Oils was changed as well. Anything I should be looking at to see why I’m still getting that black carbon buildup on the tips? Thanks

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't doubt that but if an engine burned oil back then the pipe would be black or dark. Very rare but I've seen some today have a gray look inside the exhaust pipe. Lol
actually just the other day i was looking in the tailpipe of a year old (around 500 hours of use ) tower light with a 2 cylinder Kubota diesel engine
the caked on soot at the end of the tailpipe had a very grey appearance to it as well as the puff of smoke at start up looks grey
normally those little diesel generators always puff black at start up and are caked with oily soot at the tip of the tailpipe
I was wondering if maybe they used a different grade of diesel for a few tanks or so

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't doubt that but if an engine burned oil back then the pipe would be black or dark. Very rare but I've seen some today have a gray look inside the exhaust pipe. Lol
You'll see white tail pipes on vehicles that guys are throwing a bunch of octane booster in the tank,or are running race fuel.Usually the plugs will also be white too.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
16 ounces of oil in a catch can
You must be leaving it too long between times of dumping it

I installed a catch can on my 2009 Dodge Ram HEMI
I dumped the catch can at every oil change, which i did at every 5,000 miles.

catchcan7600miles.jpg

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
16 ounces of oil in a catch can
You must be leaving it too long between times of dumping it

I installed a catch can on my 2009 Dodge Ram HEMI
I dumped the catch can at every oil change, which i did at every 5,000 miles.

View attachment 479188

i used a 16oz plastic water bottle. It only had about an inch or so of fluid from the catch can.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I mis read the post, i thought that you had 16 oz. of oil in the Catch Can
Had me worried for you

BigRedRam1500

Reaction score
What is going on if you’re catch Can is no longer catching anything? Mine is always empty?

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Get black exhaust tips and you will never know if they get discolored from your exhaust
One of my wonders with my 19 Ram 1500 Classic with the "Blackout" package.............almost everything is black-grille inserts, mirrors, emblems, door handles, wheels, etc. and CHROME WHHEL NUTS and EXHAUST TIPS. Designer must have had a little smoke that day????????

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
One of my wonders with my 19 Ram 1500 Classic with the "Blackout" package.............almost everything is black-grille inserts, mirrors, emblems, door handles, wheels, etc. and CHROME WHHEL NUTS and EXHAUST TIPS. Designer must have had a little smoke that day????????
my night has chrome lugs and tip- i like it kinda breaks up all the black.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same here with the black badge package, except mine must have been made on friday as the passenger side got chrome emblems and the drivers were black. Ive changed out lug nuts and finally did the exhaust tips and it looks way better.

MuleDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember back in the day we could tell if a car didn't burn oil by the light color of the tail pipes. I had a '69 Plymouth Fury with a 440, the tail pipes was as white as baby powder inside!
Bro ’69 Plymouth Fury!!! I would sell my sister’s middle fingers for one of them bad boys!!!!

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Bro ’69 Plymouth Fury!!! I would sell my sister’s middle fingers for one of them bad boys!!!!
I'm with you there! I had 2 '69 Sport Fury and 1 '69 Fury 1 that was a 2 door ex police car. It had a speedometer that registered 140 and had the word "certified" right in the middle below the needle. Only one I've ever seen but then again it was the only 2 door police car I ever seen. No carpet just a rubber mat like the old pickups use to have.