Dirty hole!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Whether or not this is related to my truck stalling at idle sometimes is yet to be determined, but I guess if anything, at least the throttle body is clean now... It looked pretty bad when I pulled it out.

23CD5451-6EE1-463E-9EB0-EC907A0532BC_zpsmw2afc7x.jpg

1C3DB395-BDC4-41FD-BF24-947E3E3AD6EF_zpslgbuwzau.jpg

Rampitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i'm going to need to do this soon..

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to do this, what is best method to clean?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Opinions will differ. How I have cleaned them is with spray brake cleaner, shop rags and nylon tube brushes. You can't effectively clean one while mounted, it needs to be removed. Stay away from steel wool, scotch brite or anything abrasive.

The one in the picture is really not bad by comparison. I have cleaned one that was solid black on the back side (the side you can't see while mounted) and the black crap was covering the gaps completely.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Rampitt & EWC88:

It was brought to my attention from a good friend of mine who has worked as a GM and Mopar mechanic for over 30 years that cleaning throttle bodies is typically done every 30K miles, more so if you live in the country or dusty areas as opposed to the city.

Also, Mopar makes a specific throttle body cleaner that is made specifically for this cleaning ritual. I don't recommend using brake cleaner or any other solvents other than the Mopar throttle body cleaner, it's only $6.
My truck has a 5.7 Hemi and literally took 5 minutes to remove the throttle body and clean. Extremely easy to do.

As mentioned, don't use any wire brushes, 3M scuff pads, or anything else that will scar the aluminum intake, only use a vinyl brush or even a old tooth brush works great while spraying the T/body intake.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going do this finally to mine. She will be sitting soon for a little while I wait for new PCM to come in so I can take it apart then and clean.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the life of me cannot find a chemical composition sheet for the mopar throttle body cleaner. But FFR has a point, they are different chemically here is the CRC sheet on TBC:

tbc_crc.jpg

Here are the ingredients of brake cleaner:

brake_cleaner.jpg

And here is a "carb cleaner" that a lot of mechanics use for throttle bodies:

carb_cleaner.jpg

Looks like the TBC is mostly acetone.

I still don't think you have ruined your throttle body by using brake cleaner if you have, actually I'm quite sure or none of the cars I have owned in the last 10 years would have run afterward. I'm also convinced you could use mopar TBC on a ford if you saw fit. I plan on using CRC on my Dodge!

JH2C

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Using brake cleaner won't "ruin" the throttle body, but most modern throttle blades have a coating that's supposed to slow down deposits and brake cleaner will remove that coating. It's also not designed to cut through the type of deposits that are on there, so throttle body cleaner actually works better anyway.

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I'm the kind of guy who likes using products for their intended purpose.
Throttle body cleaner for throttle bodies, Brake cleaner for brakes.... They are different for a reason.

To each their own I guess. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357