DIY: 2013-2014 8.4 Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
The controls for the audio on the 8.4 bezel have no connectors on our lower trim trucks. So there is no control for the volume unless you have the steering wheel controls. The oemautoparts bezel has a volume control on it. I don't yet know how it interfaces with the wiring we have in our truck to control the volume.
The climate control on the 8.4 bezel has no connector on our trucks. So there is no way to control the HVAC with the bezel and since there is nothing like a steering wheel HVAC control you have to use the 5.0 bezel with the 8.4 radio in order to still have climate controls.
Over on the Z there is a person trying to get it all figured out so that we can use the 8.4 bezels with our trucks. Once they get it figured out I'm going to go with a factory 8.4 bezel. In the mean time I'm using my 5.0 bezel until they release one of the oemauto bezels with a knob instead of a switch for volume control then I will use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to the mirror thread of this one over on Z (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=180908), the audio was determined to be connected simply through the CAN bus, stated on page 20 by duneflyer.

Now just to figure out how to solve this HVAC issue. If the HVAC controls on the 8.4 bezel simply connect to the CAN bus, then perhaps the lower trim 3.0/5.0 trucks do not have the correct software to be able to interpret those CAN bus commands, even if wired correctly.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
According to the mirror thread of this one over on Z (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=180908), the audio was determined to be connected simply through the CAN bus, stated on page 20 by duneflyer.

Now just to figure out how to solve this HVAC issue. If the HVAC controls on the 8.4 bezel simply connect to the CAN bus, then perhaps the lower trim 3.0/5.0 trucks do not have the correct software to be able to interpret those CAN bus commands, even if wired correctly.
I knew the audio controls are connected to the CAN bus. What wiring harness do we use to hook up those controls to our trucks? I am not going to replace my dashboard harness just to have one bezel work when the stock one will do with steering wheel controls. If it was as simple as an adapter harness I think oemauto would have made that instead of engineering a new bezel with a switch for audio control.

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I knew the audio controls are connected to the CAN bus. What wiring harness do we use to hook up those controls to our trucks? I am not going to replace my dashboard harness just to have one bezel work when the stock one will do with steering wheel controls. If it was as simple as an adapter harness I think oemauto would have made that instead of engineering a new bezel with a switch for audio control.

I mean I'm with you on that, hopefully it's possible without doing too much work. It would be fantastic to have the ability to let other people control through the dash though.

I'm looking at the diagrams now but haven't found anything yet. Maybe there is a CAN IHS connector somewhere unconnected. God knows there are a ton of connectors unconnected to anything in these trucks. I can look under my seat and see like 3 of em! But anyways, I'm gonna keep looking

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
For anybody who is interested, here is the wiring diagram for the 24 - pin harness on the 3.0/5.0 trucks. Only 22 of the wires are used. You will need to zoom in pretty far because it had to be scaled down to fit on one page.

https://pdf.yt/d/yaNX5WNZw5ZKSU0i

The actual connector is the vertical rectangle on the left.

The HVAC wires are the wide lane of wires towards the center proceeding downwards from the 24 connector to their respective components/modules

Also, all of these diagrams are available from

https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm#

So it looks like there is a large connector under the steering wheel called CONNECTOR-STAR CAN IHS, which accepts 7 separate harnesses C1 through C7

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How they did to add the rocker button to adjust the volume ? What I need to do to add a temporary button until I buy the steering button ?

thank you.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How they did to add the rocker button to adjust the volume ? What I need to do to add a temporary button until I buy the steering button ?

thank you.

If I had to guess you could wire a rocker switch into the wires for the steering wheel controls.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'd like to know how they are able to get a rocker switch to work and definitely how they get a rotary *** to work

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does I need the harness for the control even if I have cruise control and uconnect command ?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The harness for the steering wheel audio controls is different from the one that is for the cruise and uconnect only.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is this plug ? It's connected to nothing

And I'm searching for a away to put a temporary rocker button for the volume.

do you know any way how to do this, I'm lost in all those wires.

The rocker switch seems really simple that they sell with the custom bezel. There is a way to reproduce that ?

thank

IMG_20150119_140143_zpsfafa7faa.jpg

IMG_20150119_140432_zps48190d5a.jpg

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
What is this plug ? It's connected to nothing

And I'm searching for a away to put a temporary rocker button for the volume.

do you know any way how to do this, I'm lost in all those wires.

The rocker switch seems really simple that they sell with the custom bezel. There is a way to reproduce that ?

thank

IMG_20150119_140143_zpsfafa7faa.jpg

IMG_20150119_140432_zps48190d5a.jpg

That is one of the connectors for the AC power outlet that comes on some of the trucks that would exist right where your truck has that slot to hold stuff.

power_outlet_AC_connector.png

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you!!

And do you know if there is a way to add temporary ( or permanent ) volume control other than steering control ?

Like they did for this one? : Ram® Truck 8.4 Upgrade Radio Bezel

I never thought I will find a Ra3 radio for the price I paid , I installed the radio to check if it's was working well and fell in love with it haha, it's heart breaking to remove and put back the old radio until I can install steering Wheel control .

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Uconnect 8.4A and steering Wheel control upgrade done ! Thank you for all your tutorials. :favorites13:

Really cheap upgrade and Worth every dollar.

Summary ; 92$ cad for the 8.4a radio at a local junkyard and 180$ for the steering control ( really high , but due to our crappy dollar exchange rate and 30$ shipping fees )

Just hoping now they will sell a bezel with integrated volume knob lower than their crazy 300$ usd :puke:

I also bought a 7" cluster for 100$ , but I need to wait 2000km until I can re-install it again (I've installed it just for a test ) .
IMG_20150121_124638_zpsakl9rjv4.jpg

IMG_20150121_205033_zpsmcd6mnzz.jpg

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Very nice! I'm surprised you were able to find a 7" cluster for so cheap!

critter_2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Hey, first off I want to say awesome work from all you guys, I ended up doing the upgrade from RA3 to RA4; for me it's just pretty much plug and play; no headaches or wiring diagram.

I do have a question that I can't find the answer to though. I have a canadian vehicle and installed a VP4 NA which is the US model radio. When I first install the radio and flash the firmware I have access to SiriusXM Traffic, the traffic button shows up in the Nav/Information screen. Then when I restart the truck the Traffic button disappears; I'm assuming because it's reading that my truck is canadian.

Here's my question; if I change the country code in the TIPM to USA do you think I would get that traffic button back?

I'm supposed to go in Monday to get it done but it's 110$. If it works I don't mind, but if it's all for nothing, then 110$ turns into 220$ to change it back to Canada.

Thanks for any insight guys.

I will most likely be posting this on other sites as well, so if I get an answer I'll post back in case there's anyone else interested.