DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HARNESS? I was told I just needed the buttons? Is there also a clock spring?
Lol , maybe I should've been more clear .
I'll try now

Yes there is a clockspring , it's part of your truck already and will be a non factor for you so long as jack the front end up , in order to install the audio control " buttons " you must remove the steering wheel, in order to remove the steering wheel you must remove the air bag , in order to remove the airbag in the center of the steering wheel you must release 3 ea clips , since you gotta turn the wheel approximately 60° left & right , I found it benificial to jack up the front of the truck Untill light pressure to the ground.
The truck will not be under power because you MUST have the neg terminal off the battery ( so no power steering .
Some have had trouble getting the clockspring out of alignment by turning the wheel .

Now when I say Harness the "buttons" for the audio control have wires , this is the harness I was referring to .

Now that this is as clear as mud , I suggest watching the video on removal of the sterring wheel and installing the audio controls . It's actually very simple , you will see when you watch the video
I'll look for the video and post it here , if I can find it ....

Ha , it's actually post #1 here .
https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=54449&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

A link to the audio controls kit ,

http://www.allmoparparts.com/mobile/1500-steering-wheel-audio-control-upgrade-p-5793.html

Another video for air bag removal ( this guy is a Rockstar ! ) this is exactly how I did it , except I had the front jacked up a bit to make the wheel easier to turn . The tool he's using is a cotter pin removal tool .

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=54449&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Lots of guys use a puller for the wheel removal , I gave mine a good jerk , then applied contact pressure with one hand and smacked it pretty good with the other and it pope right off .

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

RAM 5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 ram 1500 express regular cab audio upgrade

Well did steering wheel audio upgrade kit saturday, no problems thanks to forum info from members, not sure what dealer did wrong when they tried, doing 8.4 nav next, then visor, also already done overhead console with garage opener, that was plug n play, hope to find wires for visors up there. Will report back results. As already posted seems to not be wires to plug in visor lights, guess will order some or just wire into overhead power. Did 8.4 nav with no problems plug n play, also did premium cluster, floor lights, under hood light, need help, upgraded to OE Wheels Replica 22 x 9 R/T wheels and have vibration in the rear, have done everything we can think of to resolve, anyone had this problem ? thanks for any help.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I had no plugs in my 15 express for visers. The harness connection, vender here, has some pig tails I think.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
swapped my wheel today for a leather one with controls. most time consuming part was getting the wheel off, but thats because of not having and trying to find the right tools. i thought my steering wheel puller would work, turns out it didnt (probably should have read more of this thread before i started). nobody local had the correct puller in stock, or even the lugs to use on my older style puller. i didnt want to wait so i tried using a 2 jaw gear puller and it worked perfectly. just a heads up for those who might be in the same bind as me. also, i used this cotter pin removal tool from sears to pop off the air bag clips. worked great and at $8 not bad. just some alternative methods that might help somebody out.

IMG_4320_zps9pxlb59k.jpg

IMG_4321_zps6mclm6bb.jpg

IMG_4319_zpsaxny1aij.jpg

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I am pretty sure I know the answer but want to confirm after reading through this thread. I just picked up a leather wheel out of a 15 1500 with audio controls, 8spd controls, and bluetooth so I am good there but it also has heat. Now I do not plan on wanting to wire the heat option or use it. Looking through everything it looks like I'll still be good to go. Is that correct?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys, I am pretty sure I know the answer but want to confirm after reading through this thread. I just picked up a leather wheel out of a 15 1500 with audio controls, 8spd controls, and bluetooth so I am good there but it also has heat. Now I do not plan on wanting to wire the heat option or use it. Looking through everything it looks like I'll still be good to go. Is that correct?

yes. you can remove the pigtail for the heating element or leave it tucked back there. either way works. my wheel had heat as well.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You should be fine as long as you have the wiring that came with the wheel.

pssnyderpc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 Tradesman 4wd
Engine
6.7 Diesel
good post, very helpful to me! Thanks

pssnyderpc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 Tradesman 4wd
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Thank you for the fast service when I ordered my wiring Harness from You!

jamesanthony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I may be the one guy to f*cked up. So when I was taking the steering wheel off a little too hard, the clock spring popped off. so am I SOL? or can I try and wind it back up and reinstall? I am trying that because parts dept is already closed.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I may be the one guy to f*cked up. So when I was taking the steering wheel off a little too hard, the clock spring popped off. so am I SOL? or can I try and wind it back up and reinstall? I am trying that because parts dept is already closed.
Good luck , search YouTube. There are videos on how to do this ... good luck

jamesanthony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck , search YouTube. There are videos on how to do this ... good luck

Thanks, I was able to figure out to wind up the darn thing. Put it all together but have air bag light and service air bag message. So I am guessing I dorked up clock spring quite well.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This thread is awesome, big shout out to the OP for laying this out and all the members adding their tips along the way.

I've read most of this thread and I didn't see it mentioned that there are two arrows on the clock spring to line it up if it gets spun off.

I did not use a puller on the steering wheel. I tried to bang it off from behind :)naughty:) but just ended up bruising my hands. Ended up googling it and doing what this guy does: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI7UQGQh9g and it was off in less than 10 seconds with little to no effort. To prevent it from coming off suddenly and spinning the clock spring or pulling on the cables I left the center bolt in place half screwed in. Didn't end up being necessary, the wheel was noticeably loose after a couple seconds and I could gingerly take it the rest of the way.

I bought a puller and was struggling to get it off! Thanks for providing that link, worked like a charm :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_164757.jpg
    IMG_20160416_164757.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 76

Prof

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Tradesman Crew Cab
Engine
3.6-LITER V6 24-VALVE VVT
Okay. I finally have everything I need. I will be installing this mod tonight. Wish me luck!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Okay. I finally have everything I need. I will be installing this mod tonight. Wish me luck!
Good luck.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I read most of the thread, sorry if I missed it, can these be added to the urethane steering wheels?

neloms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L V6
This thread is awesome, big shout out to the OP for laying this out and all the members adding their tips along the way.

I've read most of this thread and I didn't see it mentioned that there are two arrows on the clock spring to line it up if it gets spun off.

I bought a puller and was struggling to get it off! Thanks for providing that link, worked like a charm :)

This really works without a puller? I'd like to do mine this weekend.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't use a puller .... held constant pressure with one hand and smacked it a few times from behind with the other hand .