DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am attempting to edit the original post to fix some of the image links but it doesn't seem to want to let me edit the post?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I am attempting to edit the original post to fix some of the image links but it doesn't seem to want to let me edit the post?
They made some changes to the site permissions when they switched to the new software. One of those is locking down post edits after a certain timeframe to prevent disgruntled folks from deleting content. I don't think that was really an issue on the site or something you'd do but I guess it could happen.
I'm not a fan of the change for the simple reason that good content needs to be updated at times by the op.
Reach out to @quietpeen , maybe he can give you temporary permissions to fix it (I know the link to the parts kit is broken also).

M² Mods.

Last edited:

wastewaterop65

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Blackout Package
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed the Audio Steering wheel controls in my 2018 Ram Express. Your video made it so much easier. I had the whole thing done in a little over an hour .
I have to laugh at the dealership saying that it's impossible to do it.
I also installed Home link and the U connect 8.4 upgrade with the factory bezel, got a harness on here and the climate control module. All of it works great .
Thanks for your help.
Eddie

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bump to a great thread

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Where do I find the video for this? I also need to change the left side switch to add a phone button and do I also need a harness to exit at the base of the column to go to a uconnect radio. My 2018 has nothing but a plain 3.0

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where do I find the video for this? I also need to change the left side switch to add a phone button and do I also need a harness to exit at the base of the column to go to a uconnect radio. My 2018 has nothing but a plain 3.0
The video is at or near the beginning of this thread , no harness needed to add the VR/ Phone button it's plug n play [emoji1303]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a link to another great post .
Post # 118 it's by Mpgrimm2 .

Hope this helps !

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/936667

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks, I just looked on eBay and found a complete leather steering wheel with all the front and back switches for a fair price. Just want to make sure I understood you correctly in that the column already has what I need for wiring directly to the radio to just swap a donor wheel and add a mic.

Sorry for all the questions

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, I just looked on eBay and found a complete leather steering wheel with all the front and back switches for a fair price. Just want to make sure I understood you correctly in that the column already has what I need for wiring directly to the radio to just swap a donor wheel and add a mic.

Sorry for all the questions
Yep yep the steering wheels are absolutely plug N play , no harness required .
Just make sure your new to you wheel.has the options on the front that you need . If not remove the switch module from your original wheel and install them .

There's no mic needed for the audio controls install ?
I'm assuming you are also upgrading your radio from the RA1 to the RA2,3or 4 to obtain full hands free capabilities ?

Good luck Sir !

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It is a 2018 1500 Express with a build date of 2/18 and has a standard 3.0 radio with a media hub, no phone or uconnect. I'm also trying to verify what year steering wheels will swap to this truck.

Thanks for your help

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is a 2018 1500 Express with a build date of 2/18 and has a standard 3.0 radio with a media hub, no phone or uconnect. I'm also trying to verify what year steering wheels will swap to this truck.

Thanks for your help
I'm pretty sure the 13 though 18 steering wheels are plug n play ... hopefully someone that's positive will chime in . When I was searching for my 14 I found out I could use a 13- 18. , I ended up getting a 16 for my 14 [emoji1303]

GatheredEarth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like i'm hunting for a new steering wheel in the near future! lol

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I was looking for the radio controls and found a leather wheel with all the controls and the radio controls.
Seams like a great up grade. the whole set up was only a few dollars more than just the radio control kit.
Should be here in a week or so.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I put the audio switches in this morning and my "Service Airbag" light came on. I stopped by the dealer and he said the code is saying that I need a new airbag control module. Has anyone else had this issue?

I disconnected the battery, took the wheel off, put the switches in, put it back together, everything was good except i must have turned the clock spring. I took it back apart, reset the clock spring, put it back together and now I have the Airbag warning light and message. I took it apart again to double check the connections and everything looked good. Disconnected the negative and positive and let it sit for a few minutes and that did nothing. Then I took it to the dealer, they through it on the scanner and said it looks like the airbag control module. Said it could be a short somewhere but I would need to bring the truck back next Friday for an appointment.

Any thoughts?

Side note, I have a leather steering wheel for sale. :)

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You may have pinched a wire on the harness putting in the switches.

M² Mods.