DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is a picture of the plug from the back of the mirror. Can I connect directly to it?
20140809_151822.jpg

20140809_151853.jpg

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here is a picture of the plug from the back of the mirror. Can I connect directly to it?

There are so few mirrors with that harness, that I can't really justify making a plug an play adapter for you. However, the signal is routed up by your right front passenger door. I have most of the parts to make an adapter at that location.

I can look into that a bit more.

Edit: Further inspection shows that your camera signal runs into the cab, the same as a normal camera to the radio is ran. This means that I could just make the cab harness, that comes with my standard harness, and terminate the end with an RCA connection.

Last edited:

chris153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is the cable on the right front passenger door. Is it as simple as splicing into it and putting an RCA connection on it?
20140809_193343.jpg

20140809_193355.jpg

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here is the cable on the right front passenger door. Is it as simple as splicing into it and putting an RCA connection on it?

It would be easier, and much cheaper, if we just replaced the cab wiring with the harness I already make. But use an RCA connector, instead of radio pins. This would require you to remove two pins from the connector behind the ebrake, and then route the new harness directly to your radio.

__scottydont

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey!

I followed through the thread as many others have and installed my camera with harness (2014 1500 SLT) and had the dealer flash sales code XAC (even went back to have them verify it) but still not image (whether it be blank screen or actual image)

I traced the cables and verified pin outs tonight and I'm still unable to identify any error in the install.

Any other troubleshooting tips?

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Had the dealer flash XAC to the truck yesterday, I've got the blue screen! Just waiting for my parts to get in and get it all installed and working!

Cannot wait to get this item added to the truck.... 2013 fully loaded sport truck without the back up camera....... I don;t understand how I have every option available minus the air ride, and no back up camera.... O well, I'll have one now!

Rocky_Ridge_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

I am new to this forum, and would first like to thank jeepguy_1980, allmoparparts.com, and ramharness.com for making this OEM option possible as an aftermarket DIY install.

I ordered all the necessary parts and did the install yesterday. I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Quad with the 8.4N Uconnect and Rocky Ridge Altitude kit with offroad lights. Apparently I did something wrong on the install, because I'm experiencing the following issues: Backup Light doesn't work, rear blinkers do not work, fuel sensor does not work, and the engine light is on. And that's just what I noticed on a 5 minute trip to the gas station.

I am hoping someone has experienced something similar and/or can help me out on what I may have done wrong. I am a automotive DIY novice, so the instructions were a little vague at times for me, so any assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Also, when the install is done correctly, what should I see? Should I see the backup camera screen and just the lines don't work until I have a dealer XAC flash it? Or should I see nothing until it's flashed, and if done correctly it will be a backup image and if done incorrectly it will be a blue image?

Thank you!

Rocky_Ridge_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello again,

All my issues were fixed by tightening the ground further except for the check engine light. Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if it will reset on it's own. I tightened the gas cap, and that wasn't it. I'm going to try loosening the negative on the battery and put it back next, since I had to take that off for the radio harness.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello again,

All my issues were fixed by tightening the ground further except for the check engine light. Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if it will reset on it's own. I tightened the gas cap, and that wasn't it. I'm going to try loosening the negative on the battery and put it back next, since I had to take that off for the radio harness.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

CEL will stay on until about 20+ good starts on the truck.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rocky_Ridge_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the response jeep_guy. 20 mins of the negative connector disconnected reseted the CEL.

Am I correct that I'm not suppose to see anything on screen in reverse until the dealer wakes the camera up?

Thanks!

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the response jeep_guy. 20 mins of the negative connector disconnected reseted the CEL.

Am I correct that I'm not suppose to see anything on screen in reverse until the dealer wakes the camera up?

Thanks!

Correct. The truck doesn't know it's there.

Drgiles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just installed my camera now to get to the dealer to do their part. It went together so easy I hope I hooked it up correctly.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm getting ready to install the wiring and have a question regarding the tailgate connector from under the bed of the truck.

The diagram and picture you have on page 1 of this thread (and on your instructions) are 2 different ways? can you clarify which is the correct way?

In the diagram the colors go Blue, Red, Black, Brown, Green then White on the bottom. But the actual picture you have them labeled in reverse.

Thanks

OP
OP
jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm getting ready to install the wiring and have a question regarding the tailgate connector from under the bed of the truck.

The diagram and picture you have on page 1 of this thread (and on your instructions) are 2 different ways? can you clarify which is the correct way?

In the diagram the colors go Blue, Red, Black, Brown, Green then White on the bottom. But the actual picture you have them labeled in reverse.

Thanks

They are both correct, but the photograph is easier to understand.

Be sure to use the PDF.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got everything installed and is working flawless!! Thanks for the awesome write up and the time you took to figure this **** out lol..

Drgiles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Knew it was to easy. Just got back from dealer. Camera is working though the lines do not show up on the screen. I am going to check the connections this weekend. To save some time which wire would most likely be the cause?

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Knew it was to easy. Just got back from dealer. Camera is working though the lines do not show up on the screen. I am going to check the connections this weekend. To save some time which wire would most likely be the cause?
Make sure the lines are enabled in the radio settings.

Drgiles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That did it thank you. I just naturally assumed I didn't get a pin set right. Thank you

Rocky_Ridge_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my camera woken up by the dealer, and I too have the backup camera screen with no distance grid lines. I checked the settings in the radio, and all I see is a rear view backup camera delay and a hill assist under driver assistance. No lines whether I have the delay checked or not.

Where is this setting located? Is there a delay before it appears as an option? If the option is not listed in my settings, any idea what could be wrong?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.