DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. That's the one I need to make.

Should not be overly difficult, but am hoping someone took pictures of the connectors/harnesses so I don't have to go through the joys of experimentation

SSFD152

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off, my condolences to JeepGuy.

Also does anyone when this kit from allmoparparts will be available again? Really looking to install a camera into my 2014 Express.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First off, my condolences to JeepGuy.

Also does anyone when this kit from allmoparparts will be available again? Really looking to install a camera into my 2014 Express.

I believe it won't be available again. With Jeepguy passed on the kit doesn't do you any good because you can't get the correct harness to make it work.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Its a shame really. I have done similar work in prior jobs. If I had Jeepguy's info on the part numbers for the pins, wire seals, cable lengths for the different trim levels, and access to the correct crimper, I could make the harnesses.
Electrically its simple, its the attention to detail and research time to pull it off that makes the difference. If anyone knows any of the specifics from the first trial runs and wants to post the details, perhaps something can be worked out.

Sent from my "Up All Night Sleep All Day" Nexus 5!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all his "kits" were is a 4 wires in some split loom with pins on both ends. nothing difficult to it. his PDF shows exactly where to put the wire in the correct harnesses. everything else is purchased through a dealer (his pdf call out the dealer part numbers).

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
all his "kits" were is a 4 wires in some split loom with pins on both ends. nothing difficult to it. his PDF shows exactly where to put the wire in the correct harnesses. everything else is purchased through a dealer (his pdf call out the dealer part numbers).

The "Kits" are the items we purchased from allmoparparts.com that had the camera the tailgate harness and the new tailgate handle.

jeepguy sold us the 2 harnesses for the body and the cab and some wire ties

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "Kits" are the items we purchased from allmoparparts.com that had the camera the tailgate harness and the new tailgate handle.

jeepguy sold us the 2 harnesses for the body and the cab and some wire ties

thats exactly what i said. besides me refering to his as a kit

all his harnesses are is wire and zip ties. there are pins on the end of his wires but there are no connectors.

you can easily use any wire and pin it and just follow his instructions since he passed and no one else is making them

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
thats exactly what i said. besides me refering to his as a kit

all his harnesses are is wire and zip ties. there are pins on the end of his wires but there are no connectors.

you can easily use any wire and pin it and just follow his instructions since he passed and no one else is making them
Yes but the "kits" we were referring to before you "quoted" us were not jeep_guys "kits" they were the ones at allmoparparts.com. And those "kits" are not likely to be sold again for 2 reasons.
1. jeep_guys passed away and he's not selling his harness to complement their "kit"
2. Mopar released a "kit" to put a backup camera into the factory head units. That "kit" has the stuff that was included ib the allmoparparts.com kit as well as a harness for the body and cab.

dasbooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have installed the mopar backup camera kit # 82214240 and it work great, even the directional lines. I have the uconnect 5.0 .

Trying to order this kit from Tasca and I have been on back order for about 2 wks now any alternates suggestions.

I have also been cruising the forums here http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=182525&highlight=CAMERA sort of looks like there is some variation with what harnesses already are installed with the various models. Looks as if some people got away with not having to do as much work?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Trying to order this kit from Tasca and I have been on back order for about 2 wks now any alternates suggestions.

I have also been cruising the forums here http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=182525&highlight=CAMERA sort of looks like there is some variation with what harnesses already are installed with the various models. Looks as if some people got away with not having to do as much work?
Yes, I know if you bought a 2014 Ram with a 6.4 HEMI, you got all the wiring, just no camera unless you ordered the truck with it. But we have the full wiring harness installed.

Steve21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So if I understand this right, I have a 2014. All I have to do is add a camera, have the dealer flash it and I'll be set?

Lilabner217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Used older backup camera on 2013 ram 2500

I have a ram 2013, 2500 6.7 cummins and ordered the kit from allmoparts.com, and the harness from Jeep guy. It turns out that with the 2013, unless you have ordered the camera factory installed, many of the wires are not in the harness at the front of the truck so jeepguys standard harness wouldnt work. Jeep Guy said he could make an additional harness section to fix it, then he passed away and i never got a harness.
I returned the parts to allmoparts for a refund. By the way, the individual parts that were in their kit are still available in the replacement parts section of their web site, They just don't offer the kit in the accessories section.
What I did was order the pre-2012 backup camera kit. 82211184.
The wires to the radio had the ends already on them, But the radio connector was different than the instructions since I have the new 8.4A radio. But the pin ends worked fine in the newer connector. I used JeepGuys installation picture to tell which pins were which (note the wires are different colors from jeepguys)
Then at the TCM the wire to tap into to power the Camera was missing. The fuse and relay are there so I used a fuse tap in the fuse location to attach the power wire.
I had the dealer flash the system and the backup camera works great. The only difference is that the older camera cant connect to the BCM (bcm wires also missing), so there are no moving lines only the straight guidelines down each side.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
What kind of luck, if any, are you guys having with the OEM camera kit? Since Jeepguys passing I of course can't buy his harness. I'm getting my remote start installed next weekend and my buddy offered to flash the camera active along with remote start. Should I even bother having him do that? Is the OEM kit complete and offer a working install for any 2013-2014 Express owners?? I was just gonna install it myself.

Canadian Ram owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How was your install?? The provided instructions are a bit vague around step 40.

The install wasn't bad at all, I am about a 7 out of 10 on the mechanically inclined scale and it only took about 2 1/2 hours for me to do myself. If you have any specific questions just send me a message.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I can also confirm my 2014 "ST" 6.4l Hemi 3500 DRW with power-locking tailgate was prewired all I needed to do was add the camera and the jumper connecting the camera into the harness, and have the XAC code added.

I bought the kit for the 2014 (82214240) and have all the harness that came with it if anyone needs them.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
I can also confirm my 2014 "ST" 6.4l Hemi with power-locking tailgate was prewired all I needed to do was add the camera and the jumper connecting the camera into the harness, and have the XAC code added.

I bought the kit for the 2014 (82214240) and have all the harness that came with it if anyone needs them.

Sorry for the stupid question, but if I have the power-locking tailgate would I be in the same situation as you? Just add the camera and the jumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.