Do Not Buy Mopar Pre-Paid Oil Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The Mopar prepaid oil change site says for participating dealers, and that it is valid at "your preferred dealer". I asked about this through the Mopar promotion website contact. Again. I cannot speak to if dealers other than the "preferred" may accept it, but it is not valid at all dealerships as written in the fine print and is not sold as redeemable at every Ram dealer.

This is nothing new, dealers often have specialty options or services that are sold under brand name, are covered under warranty but are not sold or serviced everywhere. Original Yenko Camaros were like this and it is cool to see the 1,000 HP 2020 Yenko covered the same way. But you're not going to get that serviced at any old Chevrolet dealer.

Sounds like they have changed their terms from the last year and a half. Must have been a lot of dealers that didn't like what Mopar pushed on them.

papanogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl. gas
I have an 18 1500 with 160,000 miles on it and I always had the prepaid oil changes with penzoil full syn. I have never been charged anything extra. I even had it changed in N.C. whileon a road trip. Very satisfied with my truck and oil changes. No other problems with truck except a windshield washer motor.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I think Chryslers is going down the drain now that they are with a WHOLE NEW company so I say pray for the best BUT prepare for the worst .

TEC Tactical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same thing in Lawrenceville GA. AFTER THEY DRAINED MY OIL, stated I needed to pay more. Crooked dealer.

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t put cheap, most likely already used, dealer oil in my worst enemy’s lawnmower.

They unscrew and put the same filter on in a different orientation too. Good thing you don’t have spark plugs.
Wow, that’s a stab at a lot of good dealers. I was a dealer service manager for 40 years. Never saw used oil or reused filter once. As for the essential care plans, they pay the dealer cost for oil and filter and a stipend for labor. There is not a bit of profit in them. We did not sell or honor them for that reason. Like any business, we are entitled to a profit and we priced our services competitive to the market.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So based on that, then when your tranny explodes at 10,000 miles you can take it to the dealer and they charge what they want to fix it.

Do you think the dealers just suck up the warranty costs?? No, they invoice FCA for it. They call it a warranty, but in reality, it's FCA "insuring" the vehicle, transactionally not much different than State Farm paying a body shop for repair work on your car.

In this case, Mopar (FCA) puts out a special, and doesn't warrant that every service provider (dealer) will honor the price. Even if they did, it works in the same way as above...the dealer would invoice FCA for the work.

FWIW, I'm shocked MOPAR included Diesels in that deal...they usually specifically exclude, obviously because they have to be losing money at that price. Makes no sense. Hope Mopar straightens it out for the OP/

trailhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Larimie Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I buy 3 oil changes and tire rotations in advance on my 2014 Ram 1500 and my wife's 2018 Grand Cherokee.

I have never been charged anything extra for anything. I did buy it from my dealer and not from Mopar. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
image.jpg image.jpg
Last year I took the offer from Mopar's site to prepay for 4 oil changes on my 6.7 Cummins. I already used two of them at the dealer and had no problem. This morning I am in an argument with another dealer, and Mopar because the dealer is telling me they want $140 for the oil change. I told the service writer I prepaid. She says that doesn't cover it because your prepaid is only valued at $70 and we charge $140.

I tell her just do the work and I will straighten it out with Mopar.com.
So I call and the rep tries to tell me the dealer is independent and they can charge whatever they want.
I tell her no, Mopar would have an agreement with them if they are selling these oil changes, that they do the oil changes for a set price. I had two done at another dealer already and they didn't tell they weren't covered. The only thing I had to pay at the other dealer was for "shop charges" which is disposal etc. That was like $15.

So after three calls to Mopar, I was cut off the first two, the third says she has to switch me to a different dept. and the hold time is over 20 mins. Then she says she will call me back when she gets through. Sounds nice, but I am not holding my breath.
I truly feel for anyone who has to trust them with their engines but for me the 6.7 Cummings would be $144 my cost with a preferred account from amsoil

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Being elderly there is one thing I have learned -- never, never, never, pay in advance for any service. If you do you lose your leverage. Your leverage is what gets people off their **** to give you what you want because they want to satisfy you so you will give them money.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wouldn’t put cheap, most likely already used, dealer oil in my worst enemy’s lawnmower.

They unscrew and put the same filter on in a different orientation too. Good thing you don’t have spark plugs.
I always mark my oil filters with a sharpie prior to service and check it before I leave. As Regan once said...trust but verify

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure of your location but why not just stick with the dealer who was honoring your purchase. I know you are right but life is why to short to argue with a service manager at dealership.

CPTII

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is true that they are independent. When we were stationed in Hawaii we had bought the extended warranty for bumper to bumper on the mainland before we moved. When we got there and had work done we had to pay the difference for labor. Mainland was $100 per hour but Hawaii was $160. It was a rip off that we will never take part in again.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I always mark my oil filters with a sharpie prior to service and check it before I leave. As Regan once said...trust but verify

Hope it’s not one of those sharpies that wipe off with carb cleaner! At least put a unique scribe on it aha!

ShotCaller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

so true. I put a mark on my oil filter once before i took to dealer for oil change. I looked when I picked it up and didnt see the mark. When i got home i looked again and the mark was there just the filter had been turned.....they all ripoffs.

Zigi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
When I purchased a truck, I bought the extended warranty including oil changes. So if I went to a dealer to do an oil change, I would ask befor having it done about any extra charges. On my last truck, I got a better deal by getting a 5 year oil change package from my dealer as part of the purchase deal but it was only good at that dealership so it’s important to check that fine print. The day of a handshake is long over

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Turn your head and they will all Screw you. They love doing it to you. Don’t you know that they are in it for the MONEY. LOL SCREW SCREW SCREW.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

That is about as a stupid statement I have heard here. Maybe where you live , The labor charges alone on this would not make it pay. But than in small centers we know some of these guys and the only strange thing I ever heard about was a brake. muffler chain that did 2 brake , and not 4 as for they charged for . That shop closed soon after as they had no customers.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never ever never use dealer oil changes.... they use bulk oil, who knows what crap they are using.... and will throw a Fiat cheap ass oil filter on in place of the Mopar one... any way to scam an extra buck or 2 out of you. I trust nobody to do my oil changes but me!

Crazyjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Repeat after me. Mopar is garbage. Again. Just like the rest of America's (world's) corporations.
OK, now you are in the real world. Have a nice day.