Center Console Swap - Small Gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
I did the center console swap inside of my '21 Ram 1500 Classic. I got the center console from a junkyard and it came with the media bezel and the console trim as well.
Ever since I installed the console there's been a gap on the right side where the two bezels connect but I actually assumed it was the bezel potentially being warped.
I purchased some new bezels (the bezels I got were scratched, damaged, so wanted new ones anyways) and the gap still seems to be here.

I want to say I made sure all the pressure clips are in on both of the bezels and I've refit it multiple times. Is there something I'm missing? The truck is not old, not like there's an issue with the frame being bent.

433514135_422429253700332_2946976052943835965_n.jpg

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The center stack where the radio and climate controls are located is pretty much fool proof as it’s in a fixed position by the fasteners. The center floor console is slightly off. Loosen up all the mounting hardware for the floor console and adjust it. You can put a shim like a piece of cardboard in between the contact area of the two sides to hold the proper gap/contact area while you tighten all the hardware.

Turbo67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2007
Engine
5.7, 5.9
When I swapped mine on my 2018 I got the center stack as well, That might have something to do with it.

OP
OP
G

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
When I swapped mine on my 2018 I got the center stack as well, That might have something to do with it.

Not to sure how that would cause a weird gap on one side but not the other, they're the same part number too I believe?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to sure how that would cause a weird gap on one side but not the other, they're the same part number too I believe?

It’s not the center stack that is off, it’s the floor console. My 2018 big horn came with automatic climate control, the 8.4 radio and the big center floor console between the seats. I wanted “keyless and go” which is not an option on a big horn. I followed the instructions on the forum and added it myself. One of the steps required removing the center console from the floor to install a proximity sensor. When I reassembled everything I had the same issue you have except my gap was on the left side. I solved it by loosening the center console mounting hardware. Not the trim piece that comes off the top of the center console but whole big bucket thing that bolts up to the floor. It gives you enough play to move it 1/16 -1/8 inch which is what yours looks like it needs to move. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
The center stack where the radio and climate controls are located is pretty much fool proof as it’s in a fixed position by the fasteners. The center floor console is slightly off. Loosen up all the mounting hardware for the floor console and adjust it. You can put a shim like a piece of cardboard in between the contact area of the two sides to hold the proper gap/contact area while you tighten all the hardware.

I was actually thinking about that too, I did notice that the trim isn't flush with the truck and there's a gap on the bottom of the bezel. I think the other bezel was the same way as the passenger side was a lot worse, but I don't know if that's the ultimate problem or if that's just something else.

OP
OP
G

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
It’s not the center stack that is off, it’s the floor console. My 2018 big horn came with automatic climate control, the 8.4 radio and the big center floor console between the seats. I wanted “keyless and go” which is not an option on a big horn. I followed the instructions on the forum and added it myself. One of the steps required removing the center console from the floor to install a proximity sensor. When I reassembled everything I had the same issue you have except my gap was on the left side. I solved it by loosening the center console mounting hardware. Not the trim piece that comes off the top of the center console but whole big bucket thing that bolts up to the floor. It gives you enough play to move it 1/16 -1/8 inch which is what yours looks like it needs to move. Good luck.

Alrighty, loosened the bolts and trying to move the console and adjust it but the gap is still not disappearing at all. The only easy way for me to make the gap disappear is lift from the back an inch lol

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alrighty, loosened the bolts and trying to move the console and adjust it but the gap is still not disappearing at all. The only easy way for me to make the gap disappear is lift from the back an inch lol

I’m wondering if the mounting holes are slightly different year to year. Is the console you got from the scrap yard the same year as your truck?

OP
OP
G

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
I’m wondering if the mounting holes are slightly different year to year. Is the console you got from the scrap yard the same year as your truck?
I got the center console from a scrap yard(was a 2016 Ram 1500), they also gave me the brackets to mount it which is in the same spots as other videos I’ve watched.

Also I mentioned in a previous response about how the bezel doesn't seem to sit flush (neither did the last one I used before buying this one). Is this normal? the clips are all in but it's still doing this weird uneven thing which is honestly where I think the majority of the disconnect between the console is.

IMG_2545.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll post a couple of pics of my center bezel tomorrow when my daughter returns my truck.

OP
OP
G

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
I’ll post a couple of pics of my center bezel tomorrow when my daughter returns my truck.

Sounds good, I think I'm going to try playing with it more. What a pain in the ass for my OCD lol

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are the pics. Don’t look too much different from yours. The last pic is one of the center console mounting screws hidden behind the passenger seat. You can see from the pic there is an oblong slot in the console to allow for forward/backward adjustment. I’m sticking with the misalignment is in the floor console.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.jpeg
    IMG_1699.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1700.jpeg
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1703.jpeg
    IMG_1703.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1704.jpeg
    IMG_1704.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1702.jpeg
    IMG_1702.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GNiK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Here are the pics. Don’t look too much different from yours. The last pic is one of the center console mounting screws hidden behind the passenger seat. You can see from the pic there is an oblong slot in the console to allow for forward/backward adjustment. I’m sticking with the misalignment is in the floor console.

Yeah our bezels are similar, yours still fits slightly nicer than mine. I did try moving with the console again (I have the same holes) but can't really get much improvement at all out of it. I guess I'll just say screw it for now.

Appreciate the assistance!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2010 with the console that mounted tight on the left side that it would produce a creaking noise. The tech. at the dealer submitted a STAR case and they shipped him a new upper console cover (top of the console) which had small fiberglass pads mounted on the mating service that interfaces with the bottom of the radio bezel. I was told that there was a gap setting that was not being met when the console was installed into the cab on the assembly line.

Still didn't solve the issue. So I just loosened the console mounting screws and moved it rearward until I had a sufficient gap. I think I still had to file off some plastic on the upper console cover to achieve the gap.

That fixed it. A larger gap at that point didn't bother me.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108005 miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357