Doing some interior upgrades and need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've got a 2018 PW in Blue Pearl Streak and am in the process of sourcing a floor console and bezel. Prior to installing those I'll be taking all the chrome trim out and painting it. Same goes for the side vents, and the silver trim on the door in my picture. I'm also kicking around the idea of painting the chrome door handles as well.

My questions are these, for anyone who has done it, did you use a plastic adhesion promoter prior to painting? If so, which one? I have SEM Sandfree which I know is for ABS plastic but not sure what all these pieces are made of. Would be nice if ABS as Sandfree is meant to have the color paint go on while still wet and it draws the color into the plastic.

Also, the light gray faux leather insert in the door I'm kicking around changing it to black. Has anyone done that? If so, did you use a leather/vinyl paint? Or a vinyl wrap?

PS: it's good to be back on the forum after the Tapatalk option went away. I didn't find out till just recently it had its own app. Lol. I've missed this community!
20230529_132352.jpg

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plasti dipped all my interior pieces incase I wanted a color change or revert to factory colors.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I plasti dipped all my interior pieces incase I wanted a color change or revert to factory colors.

I did some plasti dip stuff on a different Ram I had years ago for the same reason actually. Initially I was gonna vinyl wrap these pieces this go around, but I've really come to like how I'm gonna do it so don't mind making it permanently this go around. For at least the chrome pieces and the silver piece in the door. I'm still kicking around thr faux leather color change (but would like to know what to us if I wanted to) and the chrome door handle.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did some plasti dip stuff on a different Ram I had years ago for the same reason actually. Initially I was gonna vinyl wrap these pieces this go around, but I've really come to like how I'm gonna do it so don't mind making it permanently this go around. For at least the chrome pieces and the silver piece in the door. I'm still kicking around thr faux leather color change (but would like to know what to us if I wanted to) and the chrome door handle.
The door handle could be tricky as it gets touched as often as the steering wheel or shifter. Maybe a clear coat would help with fade and ability to keep clean.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The door handle could be tricky as it gets touched as often as the steering wheel or shifter. Maybe a clear coat would help with fade and ability to keep clean.
Yeah, I thought about that also. I'm just wanting then a flat or satin matte black. I can buy a set of black replacement interior door handles for $50.00 front and back. Only thing is they are textured and not sure how I'd like the feel. I can always sand them down and paint/clear coat them at that point.

Looking at the chrome handles it looks like it's a cover, but I'm not sure if it pops off and I haven't been able to find any type of replacement cover. Another option, I do have some 3M satin matte black vinyl wrap, so I could try doing that also. And it could be an option for the faux leather now that I think about it, I'm just not sure if vinyl would adhere to it. Time for Google-fu to go to work!

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I thought about that also. I'm just wanting then a flat or satin matte black. I can buy a set of black replacement interior door handles for $50.00 front and back. Only thing is they are textured and not sure how I'd like the feel. I can always sand them down and paint/clear coat them at that point.

Looking at the chrome handles it looks like it's a cover, but I'm not sure if it pops off and I haven't been able to find any type of replacement cover. Another option, I do have some 3M satin matte black vinyl wrap, so I could try doing that also. And it could be an option for the faux leather now that I think about it, I'm just not sure if vinyl would adhere to it. Time for Google-fu to go to work!
Funny you mention the vinyl. Just picked up a roll to black out the chrome window trim on my CTS-V. First time using this stuff, may try it on the door handles in the Ram too, thanks for the idea haha.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Funny you mention the vinyl. Just picked up a roll to black out the chrome window trim on my CTS-V. First time using this stuff, may try it on the door handles in the Ram too, thanks for the idea haha.
Haha! Glad I could help with the idea. You'll have to share the pics when you get them done.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Odin
Here's where I vinyl wrapped interior pieces on my 18 truck.. See here

PS: what app are you talking about for accessing the forum??
(It's not Tapatalk. This Android mobile browser [Firefox] access is not a good enough experience for my usage needs)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@Odin
Here's where I vinyl wrapped my 18 truck..
See here

I actually just saw that today. You did a hell of a job, man! Especially with that bezel!

Since you have experience with vinyl wrap, maybe you can answer my idea above. The faux leather between the plastic trim on the doors, do you think those could be wrapped?

My bezel project is an undertaking as well. In addition to all the chrome I'm gonna remove and paint, I'm gonna try and switch out the area that's black (or sometimes wood grain) with the Power Wagon track trim seen in the picture. I'm pretty sure it's just like removing the chrome trim. I planned on using plastic weld to put all the trim back in place. Unless you had a better idea?

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 18

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have limited wrap experience... It was a one off with lots of expletives used (due to lack of free time for personal projects mostly ... & a bit OCD).
I don't think you can vinyl wrap that padded vinyl door area... But you could probably remove and re-cover with different upholstery material... Maybe from hobby lobby or similar?

But anything that's a hard plastic can probably be wrapped... The smoother the surface the better... Not sure if I'd try to wrap something textured.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That's an idea I hadn't thought about as far as recovering it with a different material. From your pic it looks like it's held in by 3 tabs, unless the other white circles are also tabs which would have to be melted off.

Now you gave me another idea. Lol. If I could source some Rebel tread fabric, I'd use that to wrap it. But highly doubt I could find it.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@Odin
Here's where I vinyl wrapped interior pieces on my 18 truck.. See here

PS: what app are you talking about for accessing the forum??
(It's not Tapatalk. This Android mobile browser [Firefox] access is not a good enough experience for my usage needs)

Just saw the edited part about the app question. It's something that popped up when I logged back into the forum on my Android chrome browser.

It wasn't like an add page to home or anything. It also shows up in the apps on my phone in settings.

Heres what they look like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_193647_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_193647_One UI Home.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230530_193908_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_193908_Chrome.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just saw the edited part about the app question. It's something that popped up when I logged back into the forum on my Android chrome browser.

It wasn't like an add page to home or anything. It also shows up in the apps on my phone in settings.

Heres what they look like.

Checked the Google Play store... No dedicated forum app... So sad. Must be a chrome browser feature?

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Checked the Google Play store... No dedicated forum app... So sad. Must be a chrome browser feature?
Yeah, it's not on Google Play. Maybe try using the Chrome Browser for a while and see if it gives you the option to download. Or contact the head people of the forum. It could be an APK file. Let me see if it's in my downloads. If so, I'll shoot you a PM and figure out how to get it over to you.

And by chance, would you happen to know the current color of the bezel in the pic I posted? Like a paint code or something? I've tried looking and nada. I'm actually gonna miss that color when I do the console swap. Lol. Not enough to keep me from doing it. But if SEM or Dupli Color had something close I'd consider spraying the silver trim on the console to that color.

OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So after talking with @Mpgrimm2 a little, sounds like my idea to vinyl wrap that faux leather portion won't work. So instead I'm just gonna cover it with some black faux leather upholstery. Here's what I'm gonna use. From what I can tell in pictures, it's pretty close to the stock texture on door panels which have the black faux leather from factory.

Center console will be here tomo, radio bezel will be here either Sat or Sun. Once I start the project I'll probably post a thread up in the Power Wagon section since my center console conversion will also have to accommodate the 4x4 transfer lever. It'll be a process as I'm recovering from a bicep tendon repair surgery, so getting rid of the chrome trim pieces will be easy, but the heavy stuff will have to wait a little bit.

If anyone following this wants to also follow the actual swap thread, let me know and I'll tag you once I get things started. Once this project is complete I'll also be doing a remote start/push start upgrade install.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_101136_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_101136_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Odin

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Also, another question as I gather paint stuff... So the paint I'm using on the trim pieces from the bezel, center console, and air vents is a metal speck and I'll be clear coating it with matte. I don't think this will affect the metal speck. I don't want these pieces to be "glossy" and I can't find a satin matte clear. What are your thoughts here? But the part of the door trim where the handle is will be painted a satin matte to try and replicate the rest of the "semi shiny/satin" part of the black door plastic. I have 3 different clear coats to choose from... Gloss (yuck), semi gloss (em still gonna be shiny) and matte. Does anyone know how a matte clear would affect a satin matte paint? Will it completely dull it out and make it just matte or will there still be some of that satin finish?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357